• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:49 AM

I have a Fuji F50fd compact to write about.

I bought a 2Gb xD card for it.

My three Macs each neither recognise the camera when it is plugged in by USB or say "You have inserted an unreadable disc" if I use a card reader. I can get the Mac to see an SD card (the camera uses both) if I plug it in via the card reader.

I took the xD card back to where I bought it and it worked perfectly in the PC in the shop.

Am I stupid, or what?

Or don't Macs work with xD cards?

Brief answers please. I am very tired and emotional.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 08:51 AM

Is it an M card or an H card? I know that there were some issues with compatability with the H type, so they discontinued it. Also did you install the Fuji software and update it so it recognizes the camera model?
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

Is it an M card or an H card? I know that there were some issues with compatability with the H type, so they discontinued it. Also did you install the Olympic Master software and update it so it recognizes the camera model?
Cheers,
Marli

It's an M card. The beauty of a Mac is that it sees the device and usually puts up an icon.

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#4 DesertEagle

DesertEagle

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:33 AM

Your only mistake was buying an xD card. SD would have been cheaper and most of them have faster download speeds.

Maybe your camera needs a firmware update? If you want to keep the xD card, just get a cheap USB reader.
Canon 30D. Olympus SP-310, PT-030 housing with Sea & Sea 16mm lens. Sea&Sea YS-50 and YS-60 stobes. Heinrichs-Weikamp DA2 adapter. ULCS base & arms. A little Magic (original & auto).

#5 rodriguezfelix

rodriguezfelix

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Interests:UWP, Surf, Travel

Posted 04 January 2008 - 09:36 AM

Can you format the card with the camera? also, uninstall and reinstall the oly software. I´m going thru something like that with an atom dive computer... errrrrgh!

#6 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:10 AM

Damn it !!!!

I thought it was another public vote... :P

Dive safe

DeanB
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#7 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 04 January 2008 - 11:15 AM

I am very tired and emotional.

How i wish i was the first to answer this post :P

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#8 Paul Kay

Paul Kay

Giant Squid

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1729 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

Hi John

See below, which is an excerpt out of the FAQ for the Leica M8. It might just help explain what the problem is.

"1.3 I am trying to connect the camera to my Mac computer but the Mac software won’t recognise the camera. Is the camera compatible with Mac? - Many digital cameras appear as a hard drive on the desktop of Mac-OS. The M8 does not appear as a hard drive but as a camera device. For file transfer via USB a program like Image capture (part of Mac-OS) or I-photo is needed."

If the computer doesn't recognise the camera model I assume that it wouldn't show up!

If this doesn't help then you might be interested to know that I have had problems reading SD cards. I sometimes could not read them with my USB reader but could find them and extract them using Lexar's image rescue. The problem turned out to be the card, half of which was unreadable and the only way I discovered this was to check the card by verifying it in my Mac's File Utility software which showed only half the memory size of the card.
Paul Kay, Canon EOS5D/5DII, SEACAM/S45, 15, 24L, 60/2.8 (+Ext12II) & 100/2.8 Macros - UK/Ireland Seacam Sales underseacameras & marinewildlife & paulkayphotography & welshmarinefish

#9 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 01:39 PM

John, you tempt us so... :P
But seriously, try this:
1. ReFormat the cards in camera.
2. Try using iPhoto or supplied FinePix software (Fuji software sucks but it works)

If fails:
1. Use a PC and device manager to format to FAT32.
2. Try again.

Actually have you loaded FinePix software? Sometimes OSX doesn't update for camera nuances as PGK says.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#10 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent

Posted 04 January 2008 - 02:18 PM

My nerdy IT test-engineer son has been on the case doing many things including those suggested. We even tried reformatting the card to MS-DOS but nothing happened. We can only think it is something unique to a Fuji M 2Gb xD card, that it will only read on a PC. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to use an SD card instead. I have never encountered this sort of problem before and I downloaded many files from different compacts, not to mention CF cards. The best we can get is: "The disc is not readable by this computer."

#11 Mak_Jing

Mak_Jing

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 06:11 PM

For all it's worth, my brother has been using an SD card on the Fuji F50fd compact and was complaining that once you load it onto the PC slot and then put it back in the camera, the camera doesnt read the files anymore. I am still trying to find out why that is the case.

jing

#12 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 07:26 PM

For all it's worth, my brother has been using an SD card on the Fuji F50fd compact and was complaining that once you load it onto the PC slot and then put it back in the camera, the camera doesnt read the files anymore. I am still trying to find out why that is the case.

jing

I'm not sure if that is Mac specific. Once in a blue moon, I get that too when I browse pics on my Fuji F30 (on a PC). I suspect it might be Adobe Bridge eventhough I haven't modified the pic...

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing