2 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Boyes

Ron Boyes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 10:00 PM

Hi All,

Would appreciate your comments on the advantages and disadvantages of each strobe.

As I am currently putting together my D100 kit, I would like to get it right the first time.

I have these strobes for my F90 kit - 2 x YS120's and a YS90DX

regards
ron
Ron Boyes
http://www.imagesdownunder.com.au
Nikon D2X - Subal Housing
Lens:70-180mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm & 10.5mm
Strobes: SB800 Inon Z220 x 2

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8375 posts

Posted 22 April 2003 - 02:27 AM

Hi Ron,

These are problems well discussed in older threads - I don't know how to put links in - but a quick browse and you'll find them.

The SB80DX (and SB28DX and SB50DX) is the only gun that offers TTL with the D100. In fact it is DTTL and differs from standard TTL. But it does work very well. And I have tonnes of images, now, to prove it!

You cannot fire slaves with the SB80DX. Except possibly another SB80DX? But I have no experience of this. There is a German? invention that does seem to solve this problem (allowing you to slave other guns), but again I have no experience of it. However I have found that as a single strobe with my 28-70, 60 and 105mm lens the SB80DX is excellent.

Subal have just brought out a new housing for the SB80DX, with full controls. Which I have not seen yet.

The SB80DX does not have sufficient coverage for wide angle.

The YS120 and YS90 have sufficient coverage for all lenses wide angle and macro. You can use as many as you want, although you can only wire 2 into the Subal housing. These guns only work on manual - they do not TTL with the D100. And must be connected to the camera with only 2 wires (trigger and ground) rather than all 5. If all 5 are connected the camera will not let you take a picture. Subal shipped my housing with just these 2 wires connected.

Manual flash exposure is very easy to control with a DSLR and offers much more creative control than TTL (or DTTL). I reccomend you use your existing guns with the D100.

I like the SB80DX and use it. But swapping to wide angle (and manual UW strobes) means I have to modify the electronics.

Hope this is of use,

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 slartibartfast

slartibartfast

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, sex , rock and roll (yeah youre right i'm dreaming)

Posted 22 April 2003 - 05:41 AM

Hi Ron
I have a pair of z220 Inon strobes, i really like them. It means i have to shoot manual or aperture priority but that is fine. I have had some mixed results so far but that is because i have not got used to the camera yet. The strobes are great as long as you are prepared to try manual and not rely on the camera to pick the settings. I have more hassles with the camera than the strobes, sometimes it refuses to shoot and i am not sure why. The Inon's laser settings and focus lights work well if you discard the instructions and work it out for yourself. I found leaving the TTL sensors exposed and using the wireless setting work,s contrary to the instructions. Please post any info you have on settings as there cannot be too many D100 users around and i could do with all the help i can get.
Best
Slarti