Photo
- - - - -

Tips on filming Whale Sharks while snorkeling?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:31 AM

put enough weights on me and I think I can top that 23secs... :dooh:

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#22 Kellywags

Kellywags

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:00 AM

defensive roll? is that something like being bitchslapped by a whale shark? :wub:

The Whale shark's skin on it's back is super thick (about 10cm), whereas it's underside is very sensitive- hence the 'defensive roll'. The shark will roll so that its least vulnerable side is exposed to the threat, ie snorkellor with suspicous looking camera housing! This is the reason why you need to dive considerably deep to get underneath shots or stay off to one side.

Having said that, every shark is different- while one shark may get spooked by you swimming close too its belly, another may be completely nonchalant. After a few drops, you will be able to guage the temperment of the individual shark and adjust your technique and position accordingly.

If all else fails, schedual another filming trip for April/ May and come film the Whale Sharks at Ningaloo and have a couple of bourbons with Wags and Me! :ninja: ;) ;) :)

#23 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:34 AM

I went filming some whale sharks in Djibouti in November with the HC7 in a Gates housing. Absolutely great fun- loved every minute of it. I'd second most of the advice above. I locked focus on my fin at start, tried to get under as much as possible, and, I have to admit to being a bit of a wimp and wearing a shorty (and weightbelt). Call me a girl, Wags.
Anyway, I was pretty happy with some of the footage I got and have edited a short 5 minute film with music, which I will try to upload to Stage6 in the next day or so, if anyone's interested. One thing to really watch with that housing is the flipdown filter. A couple of times I ruined shots because the filter arm had go knocked on the boat and I had a small vignette in the top right of the shot. I ended up shooting with the filter down alot of the time (even though i was near the surface and WBing on the sunball). Seemed to work OK. It was choppy at the surface most of the time, so a steady shot was tricky.

Fergus

Fergus,

Thanks for the tip Fergus. Would love to see the footage when you get a chance to put it up on Stage6.

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#24 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 14 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

have a couple of bourbons with Wags and Me! :ninja: ;) ;) :)

Can i have vodka? :wub:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#25 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

Well filming the whale sharks ended up being a miserable failure. Due largely to the following in no particular order: an out of shape videographer :wacko:, poor viz, ony a few whale sharks (too early in the season), 5-6 boats dumping their snorkelers on 1 whale shark. Have some great footage of me getting blind-sided by a number of snorkelers, bubbles, and whale shark tail fins... Wish I had a wider lens than the Fathoms WP-25 :)

Posted Image

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#26 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:06 AM

So what you're saying is you gave your rig to the gf to shoot you cos you couldn't keep up with the shark with the extra drag? :wacko:
It's interesting that multiple boats dropped their people on the sharks. I guess too few sharks makes the people nervous. They never did that the times when I was there.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#27 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 11 February 2008 - 08:59 AM

your hair makes you more hydrodynamic than Pak.. :wacko:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#28 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

Gee 5-6 boats dumping their snorkelers on 1 whale shark...sounds like over here but not all at once though :)
Cool pic.

Filming Whale Sharks while snorkeling is easy :wacko:

Have a look at this one.
http://hdvundersea.c...8/whale-sharks/
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#29 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:33 PM

So what you're saying is you gave your rig to the gf to shoot you cos you couldn't keep up with the shark with the extra drag? :wacko:
It's interesting that multiple boats dropped their people on the sharks. I guess too few sharks makes the people nervous. They never did that the times when I was there.

I should clarify, not all at once. But basically if 1 boat found a shark, the others would start lining up to drop their divers in. Some showed retraint, but I had new snorkelers dropped nearly on top me...

Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#30 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 11 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

O thats good, would of been rather a mess if they were all in together.

Same thing can happen here, 5 boats with 20 pax doing two drops of 10 each means sometimes like 40+ minutes wait before you get back in again on days with 1 shark up and down.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au