8 replies to this topic

#1 Ron Boyes

Ron Boyes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:40 PM

Hi All,
Will be going to Lembeh end of Feb and would like a comparison between KBR, Lembeh Resort and Kasawari - I have stayed several times at KBR so I am aware of the facilities they offer - How do the other 2 compare to them.

I would prefer to book a private guide and boat.
Thanks
Ron
Ron Boyes
http://www.imagesdownunder.com.au
Nikon D2X - Subal Housing
Lens:70-180mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm & 10.5mm
Strobes: SB800 Inon Z220 x 2

#2 mtnman

mtnman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:18 PM

Can't help with the comparision but you can book your own boat at Lembeh. If I remember correctly it is 30US per person per day. Ask for Paulus if you go there.

#3 jlyle

jlyle

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

Haven't been to the other resorts, but we were recently at Lembeh Resort - you can read my report here:

http://diver.net/bbs...002/72865.shtml
Olmpus OM-D EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with dual Sea and Sea YS D1 strobes
8mm, 12-50mm, 45mm lenses
My web page.

#4 BigJeff

BigJeff

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 09:59 PM

I am currently in Kasawari, actually I'm the only guest in Kasawari this week so no problems with boat availability.

I ended up here because KBR still have not replied to either of the two emails I sent in December asking for availability details - Kasawari replied in only a couple of days.
Lembeh was not considered, and I have never stayed there as the number of steps put me off.

After 3 days, I can honestly say that Kasawari in now my preferred choice. Both the food and the standard of accomodation are better than KBR.

The diving of course is fantastic whichever you choose, so I'm not going to rule out any of the resorts - it'll always be a choice between cost and level of comfort.

Jeff
Jeff (Sony SLT-A65, Ike Housing, 2 x DS-161)

#5 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 13 January 2008 - 10:03 PM

I stayed at Two Fish Divers on Lembeh Island. Economic but clean and good food. Great atmosphere too.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#6 Ron Boyes

Ron Boyes

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 11:01 PM

I am currently in Kasawari, actually I'm the only guest in Kasawari this week so no problems with boat availability.

I ended up here because KBR still have not replied to either of the two emails I sent in December asking for availability details - Kasawari replied in only a couple of days.
Lembeh was not considered, and I have never stayed there as the number of steps put me off.

After 3 days, I can honestly say that Kasawari in now my preferred choice. Both the food and the standard of accomodation are better than KBR.

The diving of course is fantastic whichever you choose, so I'm not going to rule out any of the resorts - it'll always be a choice between cost and level of comfort.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,
I understand that this resort is in the "middle" of a local village - any problems?? noise etc
Any additional info would be appreciated as I have stayed at KBR many times in the past.
Thanks
Ron
Ron Boyes
http://www.imagesdownunder.com.au
Nikon D2X - Subal Housing
Lens:70-180mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm & 10.5mm
Strobes: SB800 Inon Z220 x 2

#7 BigJeff

BigJeff

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:09 AM

Not quite in the middle, it's off to one side.

The "cottages" are stone built so fairly soundproof, I've not had any problems so far with noise, only the sounds of roosters crowing and the singing in church on Sunday. (Plus the crickets switch on at 19:30)

The position of KBR on a beach by itself is quite nice, but once inside Kasawari then the village cannot be seen anymore.

Kasawari use slightly larger boats than KBR, so slightly slower but more protection on the windy days.

When there are less than 12 guests the food here is "a la carte", ordered from the menu the dive before the meal. Choices are good (10 starters, 20 mains, 8 desserts) with a mix of western, Thai and Indonesian.

While the layout is slightly different the diving procedure is similar, with a good size change area and huge rinse tanks available. Typical days are

Wake Up
Breakfast 1 (cereals/toast)
07:45 Dive 1
Breakfast 2 (15 choices)
10:30 Dive 2
Lunch
14:30 Dive 3
Tasty snack
Dive 4 (Option 1 17:00 Mandarin dive, Option 2 18:00 Night dive)
Dinner
Fall into a coma until the alarm goes off next morning.

Hope this helps, their internet page comes up everytime I login - that looks like a good souce of information as well.
Jeff (Sony SLT-A65, Ike Housing, 2 x DS-161)

#8 AllisonFinch

AllisonFinch

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Interests:Caves, photos and long distance travel to dive.

Posted 24 January 2008 - 10:11 AM

I stayed at Kasawari and absolutely loved it. Wonderful staff that are well treated by the owners. That keeps them happy to be there. gorgeous living conditions

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BTW, take a wetsuite with room to grow. The good food tempts overeating.

#9 merlinus3000

merlinus3000

Starfish

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

Jeff

Hi,

Seen in your profile that you are also in Algeria? Are you still in it ?

BR.