#1 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Muck diving

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

Hi All

I am thinking of selling my film set up and would like advise if you have sold yours lately, particularly on ebay.

I have a Nikon F4 with a DA-20 Action Finder in a Aquatica 4 housing with all the ports and gears etc etc plus I will sell a flash with it. (I have 4 flashes at the moment)

My Question is should I:

1) Sell it as one complete unit or

2) Break it up into its parts and sell it like that. I know the DA-20 would sell for $200 and is in demand on ebay but the rest of it I just dont know. :D

Then the next issue is what to buy - but you all know that ain't easy.

regards

Ardy

Regards to all

Ardy

Of all the cleaning stations, on all the Bommies in the world - you chose this one

Olympus E-520, 50mm macro, 14-42mm, Olympus housing with SnS 110a & Inon Z240-4 flash.

#2 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

My advice is to establish if you can deal with what you will actually get. I recently sold my F100 and Housing set up, for a ridiculous price. However, it was gathering dust. If you haven't sold before (as I have) and established a good reputation, then you can not expect great bids. I was lucky to have a buyer that knew what they were looking for, and happily paid a decent price for obsolete equipment. Due to the age of your equipment, start with a low bid, and set a reasonable reserve. (10-20% OF WHAT YOU PAID) Sad, but realistic.
Good luck, and welcome to planned obsolescence.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#3 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:39 PM

Thanks Marli

I have sold a bit on ebay and have a 100% record. Unfortunately in Australia they have dumped reserve prices and the only options are put in low price and hope there are enough bidders or set a buy it now price which mainly is ignored by everyone. The lack of a reserve annoys the hell out of everybody but nobody complains.

How do you find your D40 as a DSLR? I have most of the lenses you have and wondered how that camera works for you?

regards from the Land of OZ

Ardy
Regards to all

Ardy

Of all the cleaning stations, on all the Bommies in the world - you chose this one

Olympus E-520, 50mm macro, 14-42mm, Olympus housing with SnS 110a & Inon Z240-4 flash.

#4 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1177 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:08 AM

The D40X is my "Point & Shoot" for trips when the D200 is housed. I bought it to replace a point & shoot that I found inadequate for topside stuff when travelling. I haven't really put it through the paces. I found the user interface a bit weird at first, but tend to ignore it and use the viewfinder anyway. The fewer focus areas (than the D200) are a bit bothersome, only really because I've been spoiled. I like the compact size of the body, but as I use it with the 18-200 and 10-20, it's not so compact after all! I think it is a very good value; I found it on EBay on an open box sale from Henry's in Toronto for only a few dollars more than a decent point & shoot.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#5 Andre photo

Andre photo

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:21 AM

I have sold a few photographic items on eBay recently and I was told to sell things separately as it was the best way to get more value for money.

Good luck! Andre

#6 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

I have sold a few photographic items on eBay recently and I was told to sell things separately as it was the best way to get more value for money.

Good luck! Andre

Thanks Andre I will try this but after looking at the prices of F4's ($US120) and lenses I am thinking of just keeping the old F4 it has had no more than 1000 shots on it and it was the highest point the mechanical age got to. I also have an F3 in good condition and so I think I will keep both.

The 105 macro and the 60 macro really should be sold as I guess there will be a market for them.

The Aquatica housing will end up as an anchor I think.

regards

Ardy
Regards to all

Ardy

#7 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3045 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:34 PM

Come on Ardy, we need to get those creative juices flowing. How about gathering up all the film stuff from your friends around Sydney and creating a sculpture. Big pile of cameras, maybe throw in all that Kodachrome film that's in the freezer. You could title it "The Death of Art" or something catchy like that and donate it to the University art museum there for $20,000 or so. Then you could write it off on your taxes and go buy a new 5D mkII or something.

Cheers,
Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#8 ardy01

ardy01

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

Come on Ardy, we need to get those creative juices flowing. How about gathering up all the film stuff from your friends around Sydney and creating a sculpture. Big pile of cameras, maybe throw in all that Kodachrome film that's in the freezer. You could title it "The Death of Art" or something catchy like that and donate it to the University art museum there for $20,000 or so. Then you could write it off on your taxes and go buy a new 5D mkII or something.

Cheers,
Steve

Wonderful Idea Steve - The title leaves me a little cool. Maybe more like 'where did my ocean go?' with the Aquatica spot welded to the top of it. Or weld it into a whale shape with the caption 'A breach too far' and the 35 rolls of Velvia out of date in the fridge forming the waves around the base.

I am in the process of scanning some of my old film stuff and surprised at how good some of it was, and how crap most of it is.

regards from a tearful - loves labours lost, were all 35mm.

Ardy
Regards to all

Ardy

#9 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

Donate to a worthy charity & take the tax write-off. I have the same problem with a bunch of old film & video stuff.

Edited by jcclink, 08 July 2009 - 05:31 PM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's