The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

for immediate release

Wetpixel ships issue #2 of Wetpixel Quarterly
Issue features the work of Jim Watt and Wetpixel staff photographers

SAUSALITO, Calif. -- January 21st, 2008 -- Wetpixel LLC is proud to announce the immediate availability of issue #2 of Wetpixel Quarterly magazine. In its trademark landscape-oriented, high-resolution format, issue #2 celebrates the lifelong work of James D. Watt, one of the pioneers of modern underwater photography. Jim will always be remembered for his boundless energy and generosity as a photographer, educator, and friend.

Wetpixel Quarterly #2 also features the work of the talented staff behind the scenes at the magazine and at its electronic sister publication, Wetpixel.com. Featured staff photographers include Alex Mustard, Eric Cheng, Mike Veitch, Luiz Rocha, Cor Bosman, Julie Edwards, Herb Ko, James Wiseman, Todd Mintz, Matt Segal, Elijah Woolery, William Heaton, and Leslie Harris.

Finally, Alex Mustard writes about climate change and the potential damage that it can inflict on the reef systems that we love to dive and photograph. In addition to outlining damage potential, it also serves to educate and offers suggestions on how to mitigate our personal contributions to global warning.

Wetpixel Quarterly
#2 has shipped to subscribers worldwide, who can expect to receive their issues in 1-3 weeks. Individual copies are available at http://www.wetpixelquarterly.com.

About Wetpixel Quarterly:

Wetpixel Quarterly was founded in 2007 by Eric Cheng and Elijah Woolery to create a high-quality quarterly showcase of the best in underwater imagery in conjunction with news and information about marine research and conservation. Through interviews, articles, open contests, and, most importantly, the lenses of its contributors, Wetpixel Quarterly brings to the page a new sense of the fragility and splendor of underwater life. Wetpixel Quarterly is printed in landscape orientation using 50% recycled materials. For more information, visit http://www.wetpixelquarterly.com.

Wetpixel Quarterly
Elijah Woolery
434 Napa St.
Sausalito, CA 94965
United States of America
Phone: +1-415-449-1456
Web: http://www.wetpixelquarterly.com
E-mail / Contact: http://www.wetpixelq...ly.com/contact/

###

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

On a personal note, I am really proud of this issue. We've gotten our workflow down, and all of the images look really good. Exactly one person gave us feedback about the (lack of) sharpness in the first issue. We've solved that problem. We also have a good copy-editing workflow now (although, Matt points out that we screwed up the shooting info in his images. DOH!).

Special thanks to all of the Wetpixel staff. Without them, this would not be possible!!
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 21 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

I got my copy already..

Looks great!

Nice work to you and Eli

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:19 AM

I got my copy already..

Looks great!

Nice work to you and Eli

...but I'm still waiting!

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#5 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 17 February 2008 - 06:21 AM

...but I'm still waiting!

everything travels faster in tropics

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#6 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 973 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 17 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

I got mine, and I have to say I am not only impressed with the quality of the reproductions in the mag (well worth the money!), but I am REALLY impressed by the quality of work by Wetpixel "staff" (moderators, etc.). You have assembled an exceptionally talented group of people. Aside from the benefit of their advice and examples, that should provide all of us with confidence that the decisions you all make here at Wetpixel are backed by substantial depth of experience and real skill in uw photography.

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#7 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1000 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 17 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

Still waiting on mine, but did get the shipping confirmation email, so not too worried. Just impatiently wanting to see it. :blush:

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#8 drsteve

drsteve

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

I got my copy and it is as impressive as the first edition. The editors have set a high bar and it is going to be tough for them to meet it each time. So far so good!

...STeve
www.flickr.com/photos/drsteve/
Canon EOS 5D3, Aquatica Housing, Inon Z220+Z240 strobes, Sea&Sea TTL, ULCS Arms

#9 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

Still waiting for mine ;)

#10 s mermaid

s mermaid

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Diving, travel & photography

Posted 25 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

I ordered two copies. I'm going to give a copy to the manager of Divi Dive Bonaire where the Digital Shootout was held in June '07. Here I met J. Watt, Eric, B. White, etc. We had a great time & I think this issue will be appreciated. I will see many people @ our dive show, Beneath the Sea, in NJ @ the end of March.

#11 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Hey guys. We're looking for letters to the editor about issue #2 (or #1, if you didn't get your words in last time). You can leave them with us here in this thread or over at our our contact form. Thank you!

All comments welcomed, both good and bad.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos