7 replies to this topic

#1 Nige Wade

Nige Wade

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:02 AM

I use a Nikon D200 in a Subal ND20 with Nikonos Sync connectors and am currently using Sea & Sea strobes in manual mode.

If I wanted to achieve dual strobe TTL lighting what are my options?
I've spoken to Peter Kay about using Seacam 150's but it seems it will be difficult to double up the strobes.

Is anyone out there using Heinrichs TTL converter and Inons? (doesn't work with the S&S 90's)

Are there any other options apart from housed Nikon SB800 speedlights?

Nige

http://www.wadeimaging.com
There's no dignity in diving. Especially as you get older.

Nikon D800 Subal ND800 housing Nikkor 16-35, 60, 105 and a Sigma 15 FE. Inon Z240's. ULCS arms.

#2 ramaroodle

ramaroodle

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:01 AM

If I wanted to achieve dual strobe TTL lighting what are my options?

---------

Not sure if this is what you're asking but I use the ND20 with two Ike DS 125's and the Ike TTL sync chord and connectors. My ND20 has 2 connectors on it. One that is manual only and one that accommodates the TTL. They both connect to a small circuit board in the housing. There is a switch on the Ike sync chord that allows you to switch between TTL and manual while in the water so I pretty much only use the TTlL connector on the housing. But as a backup, I have the standard chord that I can hook up to the housing for use with the 125's or my old 100a substrobes.

Andy
Andy Bryant (a.bryant@verizon.net)
D300, Subal ND20 retrofit, 2x DS125 w/TTL, 60,105,17-70,10-17, macro mate, mac

#3 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 11:55 AM

That's a great solution (the new Ike cord w/ built in converter). If you don't have Ike strobes, I think you can get the Heinrich's converter, or you can get the Sea and Sea converter which is "removable" if you don't want to use it.

Check the Sea and Sea site to see if your strobes are compatible.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#4 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2284 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:03 PM

I use the Ike ttl converter on one strobe and the Ike wireless dTTL slave on the other. With a Subal and a D2X. It does what you are asking.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website

#5 BHC

BHC

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

I believe the Ikelite convertor only works with Ikelite strobes.

For my Subal-housed D200 with Inon strobes, I use the Sea & Sea TTL convertor III. It works well. The Heinrichs TTL circuit also works, although having a bare circuit board stuck to the inside of the housing with bubble gum isn't confidence-inspiring, and you can't switch from TTL to manual with the housing closed.

#6 arcatus

arcatus

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

I believe the Ikelite convertor only works with Ikelite strobes.

For my Subal-housed D200 with Inon strobes, I use the Sea & Sea TTL convertor III. It works well. The Heinrichs TTL circuit also works, although having a bare circuit board stuck to the inside of the housing with bubble gum isn't confidence-inspiring, and you can't switch from TTL to manual with the housing closed.

Check out the Heinrichs site - they have a new in-cable iTTL converter, a la Ikelite, but for most TTL-capable strobes.
Nikon D80
Nexus D80
Ikelite and S&S strobes

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:30 PM

Good pt Arcatus - I saw that new converter on the Heinrich's site and posted about it a few months ago.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 LChan

LChan

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

i used the subal d200 housing with dual inon z240 and s&s ttl converter.

it works well. I think i still have the converter. If you are interested, i am willing to part with it.
Nikon D200 - Subal housing - 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 105mmVR - Dual Ikelite DS-125 - ULCS arms.
Canon SD550 - Canon housing (pocket videocam)

Larry Chan -- My Webpage