32 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

Sorry, guys. We were hit by a distributed denial of service attack last night, which took down the server and the switch that we are on.

Our ip address was the target, so apparently, someone out there doesn't like us very much.

"A 16-year old is a 16-year old," our server admin said.

DDoS attacks are very hard to defend against. (nearly impossible)
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

Sorry, guys. We were hit by a distributed denial of service attack last night, which took down the server and the switch that we are on.

Our ip address was the target, so apparently, someone out there doesn't like us very much.

Is there any way to track where it comes from, or can they just repeatedly do this at will?
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:55 PM

Eric

That sucks, sorry some jacka$$ gets their jollies that way. I can never understand that mindset. When I tried to look at Wetpixel and saw it was down thought it was the DB issue.

#4 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 01:00 PM

...someone out there doesn't like us very much.

DB...

or DS DS.... :) :P :guiness: Ok, I'm going to hide now and get another ID :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

Good WP is running again :guiness:

Edited by bartusderidder, 24 January 2008 - 01:07 PM.

#5 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:32 PM

Is there any way to track where it comes from, or can they just repeatedly do this at will?

"They" (aka..Them) can do this repeatedly at will. It is extremely difficult to get the actual people doing this. For those people that dont know how this works, ddos stands for 'Distributed Denial of Service'. In practice this means someone is in control of a group of machines, usually just simple hacked home machines like you and I have, and tells all those machines to send an avalanche of traffic to the victim site. Each one by itself can probably not bring a site like wetpixel down, but all together they can easily. Major sites have had trouble with this in the past.

You can sometimes do something about it, but it takes a lot of resources that smaller (in the grand scheme of things) sites dont have. Our company (I work for an ISP) has very...very expensive pieces of hardware that can detect and mostly deflect ddos attacks. This often needs cooperation of other, larger, ISPs, to block this traffic closer to the source. But even that often fails. It just depends on the size of the ddos. If people are dedicated, you're powerless.

The idea that these are kids doing this is a bit of a romantic view of how things used to be. Nowadays a lot of these attacks are done by highly organized criminal groups. You can just pay for it. It's a sad world.

I cant imagine what brings someone to target wetpixel. It's not like this is a very controversial site.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

I can think of a few people who really do not like us, but I'm not sure they would have the resources or desire to shut us down for only 12 hours. Strange!

Our new server is being configured now, and we'll put in as many performance-enhancing mods as we can. Outside of using the services of a content delivery network (which is out of Wetpixel's price range for services), I'm not sure what else I can do for those of you who are far away and getting nailed by long latency times for our image-heavy site.
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#7 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

Thanks Cor for explaining what a DDoS attack is.

Eric maybe the new server will speed your site up abit as well. Both in Cairns and here it sometimes takes it's time compared to other sites over your part of the world.
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 24 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

perhaps someone didnt' like that photo of Simon in a dress and got angry about it?

:)

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#9 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:23 PM

perhaps someone didnt' like that photo of Simon in a dress and got angry about it?

:P

that's a different kind of denial :)

#10 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:10 PM

maybe it was Paul Watson... :)

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#11 TimG

TimG

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Location:Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (yes, agreed, not much difference)
  • Interests:Sunlight reefs, warm water, fine wine, beautiful women. And Manchester City Football Club

Posted 24 January 2008 - 08:30 PM

Sure glad you're all back!

I get the same issue here in Canberra as Wagsy reports. Very slow to load.
Tim

Paris or Helmand, Afghanistan (that diving Mecca)

former Dive Manager KBR - Lembeh Straits

www. timsimages.co.uk

#12 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1227 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

Eric maybe the new server will speed your site up abit as well. Both in Cairns and here it sometimes takes it's time compared to other sites over your part of the world.

Wags - This seems like another good reason why you should upgrade to a MAC. :) :P :guiness:

No loading issues on our connections ( home or work )

#13 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:24 PM

Peter maybe it's my ISP provider then, Westnet for both locations.
I have a MAC, it's kept in the cupboard. :)
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#14 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:01 AM

Hey guys. We're migrating to a new, fast server soon. I've monkeyed around with some of the server cache settings, so play around some more and tell me if the speed improves!

(in theory, once you browse around for awhile, it should become fast(er) because the images will be loaded in your browser's cache)

The settings before were default, and stupid.

Oh, and if you are still getting really slow responses, please run a traceroute from your location and send it to us via our support page: http://wetpixel.com/contact

In Mac OS X, run Terminal and type "traceroute wetpixel.com"

On a PC, go to Start Menu->Run. Type "cmd" Enter. Then, at the command line, type "tracert wetpixel.com"
eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#15 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 02:16 AM

By the way, here's a video of how wetpixel loads from my home (post cache update).

Attached Files

eric cheng
www | journal | photos

#16 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:38 AM

Gee Eric you are screaming over there :) What is your connection speed.
There is no way I'm that fast.
I will post a screen grab vid of what I normal get, I'm on 1.5mbps.

How can you type that fast. :P

#17 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:42 AM

or DS DS.... :) :P :guiness: Ok, I'm going to hide now and get another ID :guiness: :guiness: :guiness:

Good WP is running again :guiness:

bartus - that's exactly what I thought until I saw it was a DISTRIBUTED DOS attack. Requires getting cooperation of a lot of 'bots'...and somehow I think some people can't even get automated friends to cooperate. :guiness:

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#18 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:43 AM

By the way, here's a video of how wetpixel loads from my home (post cache update).

Hmmm, I just get a blank window when I download that file which opens in Flash Player
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#19 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:01 AM

Hmmm, I just get a blank window when I download that file which opens in Flash Player

Yup I am having issues playing it back also.

#20 bartusderidder

bartusderidder

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:16 AM

I couldn't play it either at first, but then download FLV player from http://www.applian.com/flvplayer/ and works now :)