#1 tonywu

tonywu

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 04:25 AM

Hi everyone,

Just posted some thoughts and a few photos from a month in Papua New Guinea, at Loloata and the Eastern Fields aboard Golden Dawn. Had a bit of bad luck w/ weather, but it was still a great trip.

http://www.tonywublo...al-pursuit.html

Cheers,

Tony
Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Flickr | Vimeo | Blubrry

Canon 5DMkII, 7D, 1D MkIV, Zillion housings + way too much other junk.

#2 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 05:21 AM

nice Tony. Always enjoy reading your blogs. Sad to hear about the sharks though...

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#3 bmyates

bmyates

Great White

• Team Wetpixel
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, motorcycles.

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:40 AM

Great write-up, Tony, and some outstanding photos!

I've always wanted to do the Eastern Fields, and just haven't ever quite gotten around to it. Your report makes me want to consider it anew!

I've been diving at Loloata several times, though (en route to FeBrina), and consider it one of the most underrated dive spots around - fantastic macro photography 20 minutes from Port Moresby!

Bruce Yates
www.UnderwaterReflections.com
Canon 5DMkII in Aquatica, 1DsMkII in Seacam, G15 in RecSea...Inon Z240's...too many lenses
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

another great report Tony..

shame about the weather.

I knew about the welding already though.. :D

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 tonywu

tonywu

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:15 AM

Hi everyone,

pakman: Sharks are getting hit everywhere. It's really frustrating, especially to see it happen in such an inaccessible and remote location, where you'd think fishermen wouldn't want to go.

Bruce: I completely agree that the Port Moresby area is under-appreciated. You can literally step off the plane and be in the water within a couple of hours, and there's everything from tiny gobies to great hammerheads swimming around. We had a great hammer cruise by us on one dive, and a whale (not sure what kind) swim overhead on another.

Mike: So you already knew about the difficulty of welding aluminium? Congratulations! You know more useless information than I do. Somehow, I suspected that. :D

Cheers,

Tony

#6 Lndr

Lndr

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:02 AM

Thanks Tony, I'm enjoying reading your New Guinea post :D

#7 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1229 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:38 AM

There is no doubt the "local" diving from Port Moresby is absolutely underrated !!

No where else can you have the "almost" absolute certainty of sighting the elusive "Rhinopius" in at least one colouration over a few days of diving.

The the worst day at Lion Island ( or any other local 'PNG" dive ) will be still be a delight that reveals treasures and trophies that will make even the most seasoned expedition diver want to go back for more.

I had the great fortune to enjoy the reverse of Tony's trip in the few weeks immediately before him - sloppy local dives ( still great ) and glass at the Eastern fields for 10 days. Without doubt Carl's is the ultimate fish dive, although I think that the soft corals in the cave / swim through are not as splendid as I recall from previous trips - perhaps a sign that we are loving it to death.

I was also disturbed that in a total of 10 diving days there was not a single shark sited by our whole group.

What do we have to do to get the message through to these rogue fisher-people about sustainable catches ???

Edited by pmooney, 29 January 2008 - 07:43 AM.

#8 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6186 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:48 AM

Mike: So you already knew about the difficulty of welding aluminium? Congratulations! You know more useless information than I do. Somehow, I suspected that. :D

Cheers,

Tony

The joys of living on an aluminum liveaboard boat for 5 years.. :lol:

You can take that as learning about welding.. or the opportunity to learn a lot of useless information.. :lol:

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#9 blackbird

blackbird

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

Great report Tony

I'm off to Loloata in November so your report was very useful.
Loloata was recommended to Martin and I by Pete Mooney when we were in Cairns last year so we thought we would give it a try.

Thanks Pete for the recommendation
Shannon Conway
Nikon D800,D300, Nauticam, Subal, Inon, Subtronic

www.underwaterphotography.com.au

#10 tonywu

tonywu

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:54 AM

Hi everyone,

Leander: My pleasure!

Peter: Heard about your trip. Glad you had good weather out at Eastern Fields. On the trip after mine, Craig got photos of fishing vessels at EF using longlines, nets, spears. No wonder the sharks are gone. Illegal/ overfishing is really pissing me off.

Mike: If you have sufficient useless data in your head, eventually something has to be useful. :)

Shannon: You'll have a great time. Hopefully the usual healthy aggregation of Rhinopias will be around for you.

Cheers,

Tony

#11 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hey Tony,
Great read and sounds like a quite a journey. I recall you and I talking all about the amazing shark encounters one can have in the Eastern Fields. Sadly, like the rest of SE Asia, where there were sharks, there are sharks no more. I have been doing a ton of field work on shark finning in Raja and PNG. I have heard from many of the fisherman how they had there sights on PNG and the areas you visited. Sadly, for this reason you experience did not surprise me. They are wiping out sharks in that part of the world such that even juveniles less than a meter long don't stand a chance :)

I will be have more to share on this as my work continues.
-shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com