• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 arcatus

arcatus

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 06:20 PM

I, like many of you here, have a large number of slides taken in the pre-digital dark ages. I have a Nikon digital slide scanner, and I've made some effort to start scanning slides, but it takes a looong time.

The idea occurs to me - can I speed up the process by using a slide copier mounted to a good macro lens (Nikon 60 or 105) on my D80 to get high-quality digital copies at a much faster rate?

I assume a strobe would be required, but what about color-correcting filters, or is that done in post-processing with Photoshop?

Pros and Cons??

Thanks
Dave
Nikon D80
Nexus D80
Ikelite and S&S strobes

#2 photovan

photovan

Great White

• 979 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 08:01 PM

Currently I use a nikon coolscan and 50slide adaptor, but yep it is a bit slow sometimes....

I haven't tried it yet, but I looked at my old bowens illumitrans over the weekend and thought the same thing... maybe it would make an OK low res scanner for my slide collection.

The illumitrans was designed way back when to dupe and interneg trannies. It is an all-in-one lightbox/flash/bellows unit.

Here is one article on using a dslr to take pics of slides

Here's one illumitrans on ebay. The pic here is from the person selling the illumitrans' ebay listing.

Thanks you've prompted me to clean up the illumitrans and to give it a go....

darren

be51_1.JPG

Darren Jew  |  Australia  |  darrenjew.com  |  fotofrenzy.com.au

Canon EOS1Dx   |   EOSM   |   Nauticam  |   Inon Z240