• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aussie

aussie

Tiger Shark

• 544 posts
  • Interests:Diving - most weekends, music, photography

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

Need some info about gear I'll be purchasing in the near future. I'm about to buy a second Ike strobe (DS-125) for my G7 setup, but my intention is to move to a dSLR over the next 12 months (will probably buy the camera, either 450D or 40D & kit lens in the near future, housing and lenses for underwater later on).

So my question is, what brands of housing (apart from Ikelite) would I be able to use the Ike substrobes with (lets assume I go for the 40D and have the options for those brands bringing out housings, specifically ali ones)? Am I better off waiting, and changing to Inon strobes once I do make the move to dSLR? Or just stick to Ike housings if nothing else with give me TTL?

Nothing against Ikelite housings by the way, I love my current one, and their service, just want to keep my options open.

Thanks for any help.

Ry.

Edited by aussie, 31 January 2008 - 10:26 PM.

Pedlow Photographics
My Flickr
On Twitter

Canon EOS 7D. Aquatica A7D. Inon Z240's. Canon, Tokina and Sigma glass.

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6177 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:45 PM

you should be able to use it with any housing. They have a 5 pin nikonos synch cord, but not necesaarily TTL

They are also coming out with (of have already released) a TTL synch cord (at least for Nikon, not sure about Canon) and these can be used with....

Someone fill in the blank... haha

Not sure if it has to be the Ike synch on the housing end or not. If it does... then Ikelite and Aquatica both offer that. Not sure what other manufacturers it will be usable with

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:31 AM

They are also coming out with (of have already released) a TTL synch cord (at least for Nikon, not sure about Canon) and these can be used with....

They came out with one for Nikon that can be used for Nikon D-40, D-50, D-70, D-70S, D-80, D-200, D-300 or Fuji S5 Pro, Nikon D2X (check stobes for compatbility here http://ikelite.com/w...l_adapter.html/

AFAIK, nothing yet for Canon's, still waiting for that :)

#4 CeeDave

CeeDave

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Underwater, especially large animals<br />Landscape, especially wetlands

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:31 AM

The Ike in-line TTL controller is available with Nikonos connector to housing ... though they put a Ike connector on the out side. I think.

I use two 125's on a Subal hsg (Nikon D70) with dual Nikonos bulkheads on the housing -- all manual, works fine.
Chris White
Subal ND70 + 2X DS125 ... mostly 10.5, 16, and 60

#5 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1492 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:15 AM

They have the Converter in both version. part 4301 is for the Ikelite bulkhead connector and part 4302 is for the Nikonos 5 pins connector.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#6 segal3

segal3

Powerful Sea Gull

• Admin
  • 1739 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:32 AM

AFAIK, nothing yet for Canon's, still waiting for that :(

It won't happen until people start using 6-pin sync cords - or they figure out how to get eTTL/eTTL2 working on only five wires. :)
Matt Segal - carbonos scuba