• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cjames

cjames

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 30 April 2003 - 04:02 PM

Any opinions on which to buy? Looks like about $1000 price difference, but 12.1 MPix looks nice.
Corby

Canon EOS 300D
Ikelite Housing
2 DS125s

#2 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1536 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 30 April 2003 - 09:25 PM

Not to start another Canon/Nikon/Fuji war but pixels are what count and both the D10 and the S2 have 6 million. The S2 generates those 12 MP via some clever interpolation but it is still interpolation. Also (I am a Canon guy) it would appear from the pictures that I have seen that the CMOS has a slightly better color capture than the CCD. That being said, I would look at some pics from each one (your local pro dealer) and see for yourself.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#3 scottyb

scottyb

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 03:21 AM

He is correct on the pixel count. However the S2 has a second generation CCD called Super CCD and the color can be agued, greatly. I think it boils down to if you currently have an investment in Nikon or Canon lenses. If not, then it's a matter of which one has the features you desire most (type of batteries, TTL, etc.). If I had been a Canon person with a few canon lenses, I wouln't have hesitated to buy a 10D.

#4 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 04:36 AM

Exactly. The other consideration is which housing(s) or more specifically ports you already own.

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#5 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 01 May 2003 - 05:15 AM

The pixel layout of the S2 sensor is different that the 10D. Pixels are arranged on a diagonal grid rather than a rectangular grid. The reason for the 12 MP mode is that it preserves the additional resolution provided by diagonal arrangement during conversion. Reviewers universally claim that the S2 provides higher resolution than it's competitors when using 12MP mode.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#6 bvanant

bvanant

Giant Squid

• Team Wetpixel
  • 1536 posts
  • Interests:Science, photography, travel

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:10 AM

The reviews that I have seen suggest that the S2 is almost as good as a D100 in horizontal resolution and about 50% better in vertical resolution. The quote from a review that I read was "While the overall level of detail is higher with the S2 (especially in the vertical due to the D1X's rectangular pixels), there were some interpolation artifacts in the S2 images that the D1X did not suffer from, even when operating the S2 in raw mode".
I have not seen a resolution comparison to the D60 or 10D but I am assuming that the lens will probably have as much to do with the final product as anything else.
Bill

Bill
Canon 7d, Nauticam, Lots of glass, Olympus OMD-EM5, Nauticam, 60 macro, 45 macro, 8 mm fisheye, Inon, S&S, Athena Strobes plus lots of fiddly bits.
www.blueviews.net

#7 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:22 AM

See - they don't even compare the S2 to the D100. They compare it to the D1x...that says a lot...:-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#8 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 12:58 PM

I have not seen a resolution comparison to the D60 or 10D but I am assuming that the lens will probably have as much to do with the final product as anything else.
Bill

That's a very interesting statement because of what it says about lenses, digital AND film.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries