• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Phylo

Phylo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:13 PM

I have a charger that I use for my HID light that costs about $30.. It looks like it has the correct output and all I would have to do is get the correct adapter...

Im just wondering if anyone else has gone this route as opposed to paying the $99+ for the ikelite smart charger???

Phil

#2 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:26 PM

Electronically there is no problem. Just ensure that your smart charger is appropriate for the battery type that you have.

The charge characteristics required by Ni Cad and the newer lithium based battery's are quite different and do not mix. Ike have shifted to shipping the newer type cells in the last year or so.

If you are happy you have got the correct cells to match your charger type to hand - go for it!

I would be tempted to make up a converter so that you can plug your charger into either.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#3 Phylo

Phylo

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

Electronically there is no problem. Just ensure that your smart charger is appropriate for the battery type that you have.

The charge characteristics required by Ni Cad and the newer lithium based battery's are quite different and do not mix. Ike have shifted to shipping the newer type cells in the last year or so.

If you are happy you have got the correct cells to match your charger type to hand - go for it!

I would be tempted to make up a converter so that you can plug your charger into either.

Paul C

Thats the plan, It will cost me about $2 in parts to do that.. Although I might go ahead and buy a couple more chargers just that that when Im on a trip or diving multiple days I can be sure that all of my strobes and my light are all charged up... We shall see.

Phil