• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 10:49 AM

Anyone have input on the WP-DC12 housing versus the Ikelite housing for the 570??? The Ikelite seems better made and the cost isn't that much more - plus it take the 67mm threaded UWL-100 which I already own, but is it any more durable compared to the Canon made housing?

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#42 JBriggs

JBriggs

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with either housing. I've owned both brands and they each have their attributes. The Ikelite is certainly more robust. The Canon is smaller. With a AD mount the Canon is a nice set-up. In the end I made my decision based on size, being able to add wet lenses and the fact that I never really liked the shutter release/lever on my Ikelite (certainly a personal thing). I actually wore out the camera shutter on my old 990 in an Ikelite housing. I think I have more feel with the Canon housing. Personal preference for sure.

For your earlier question about wet lenses I would go with the UFL-165. The UWL-105 vignettes so you have to crop your images. I have both as well as the macro and I rarely carry the 105 any more. If you go to our Zenfolio site you can look at our latest Bonaire file (2008) and see reef scene images shot with 165.

You should get good results with this camera. As discussed earlier in the thread the recycle time when using the internal flash isn't great but shooting available light resolves that issue. My 570 IS, housing, AD mount and lenses will be going on the market one day soon as I just pulled the trigger and purchased a Canon 450D. I plan on putting the new camera in a S & S RDX housing before our next trip (Sep 2009) back to Bonaire.

Good luck!

Jeff
Canon 450D, Seatool housing, 60mm macro, Tokina 10-17, Inon D2000 x2

My photos: http://jeffngini.zenfolio.com/

#43 freediver

freediver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:58 AM

Jeff - so if I understand you response - you suggest the Canon housing with the WP-DC12 Inon adapter and the 165 lens - correct? I'm more concerned about size and will rarely dive below 20 meters while freediving so I should have plenty of ambient light when shooting in clearer waters. I plan on beginning my shooting with Manatee's in Florida, freediver images and will work towards shooting larger pelagics as I get comfortable with the setup.

Thanks

Cliff Etzel

website | blog

"To live the liquid life is to experience the rehabilitation of our bodies and minds as they evolve in the underwater world by not using any form of mechanical breathing apparatus - this is the essence, the purity of purpose of freediving." - Aharon Solomons

#44 JBriggs

JBriggs

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

Cliff, Yes that is what I would do. In the future you could put a small tray/handle or other type configuration on it so you could have a wet mate lens holder. Remember you will have to burp the lens underwater to remove air captured between the AD mount and lens.

Good luck!

Jeff
Canon 450D, Seatool housing, 60mm macro, Tokina 10-17, Inon D2000 x2

My photos: http://jeffngini.zenfolio.com/

#45 crawdad

crawdad

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 10:01 PM

After following your adventures and a season now with my three 570s I finally got my Ikelite housing built up and modified for bayonet mounting of my trio of Inon AD lenses. I did most of my shooting last year with the Canon DC-12 housing with several dives to over 150 feet with no issues. I got an Ike housing however on closeout at a killer price last summer and while I did use it a couple of times the plain port just did not do it for me. Here is the result, my main shooter for the 2009 dive season:

Posted Image

Numerous custom features incorporated. I know the little 570IS is no match for a 1,000 dollars dSLR but really, it is a fine, reliable, snappy shooter and I am very pleased with the camera and hopefully with my new, modified Ikelite based rig this season. I am also still highly pleased with the Inon D2000, that thing rocks, power, wide coverage, very easy to operate, tremendous control.

Edited by crawdad, 04 February 2009 - 10:03 PM.

Canon S90, FIX90, dual Inon D2000 strobes, Inon UCL165AD, Inon UFL165AD, Inon UWL100 plus dome, Fisheye UWL-04, DIY tray, adapter

Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

http://www.uwphotogr...guide.com/forum

#46 csky

csky

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

Thanks to everyone for all the useful info in this thread!

I've got an A570 and am hoping to pick up a housing for it, but I'm not ready for a strobe yet and the cheapest housing on ebay is missing the flash diffuser. I'd appreciate if anyone who knows could comment if that would make the housing useless without a strobe?

Much gratitude in advance if anyone has any advice for someone just starting out in UW photograpy.