4 replies to this topic

#1 woody

woody

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hi,

I have recently upgraded my Aquatica housing to the stiffer spring set, and according to Aquatica the housing should now be good for 130m at least.

I have a friend who has a Ikelite housing and I was wondering whether the quoted 60m depth rating for Ikelite housings is a result of the actual housing construction/strength, or otherwise because of a limitation on the strength of the springs (weaker springs will result in buttons remaining "pressed" at depth). If the latter, do Ikelite supply the required replacement springs?

Thanks!

#2 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 08:30 PM

I made similar inquiries a while back and was told that there wasn't, but that was by a dealer and not the manufacturer.

I'm waiting for my 40D Aquatica to arrive, but I used to have a 350D w/ Ikelite. I regularly had it to 50m, and found it had issues with the control shafts past about 40m. ie. the main index finger dial would get pushed down by the additional pressure and wouldn't engage properly. On that particular housing camera combo, stiffer springs wouldn't have made a difference.

I had it to 70m ish a few times where it seemed just as functional as 40-50m. I can't say I wasn't scared though.
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com

#3 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:56 AM

My Ike has seen 65 quite a few times and 76 on one occasion where it was functioning better than I was.
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#4 woody

woody

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 12:10 AM

In fact, this particular housing is for the 350D. So looks like nothing doing :)

Thanks for the info.

#5 Timmoranuk

Timmoranuk

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1169 posts
  • Interests:Technical diving; open circuit and rebreather, U/W photography, topside photography, travel, aviation and sailing.

Posted 26 February 2008 - 02:22 AM

It would be interesting to know if anyone has uprated the control springs on Ike housings, what specification springs worked well and at what depth. I'm sure suitable replacement springs are available from suppliers like http://www.springmas...ession-springs/
· Canon 5D3, 7D & Nauticam housings. Sigma 15mm, Canon 16-35mm, Tokina 10-17mm, Sigma 8-16mm, Canon 10-22mm, Sigma 17-70mm, Sigma 70-200mm, Sigma 120-300mm, Canon 60mm & 100mm
· INON Z-240s & Sea & Sea YS-250 Pros
· SmallHD DP4 monitor & NA-DP4. Fisheye Aquavolt 3500s & 7000s
· Zen DP-100, DP-200 & DP-230