Updated MacBooks and MacBook Pros

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 07:57 AM

Apple updated the MacBook and MacBook Pro line today. In addition to the speed bumps up and the multi touch pad, one of the big things is that the MacBook Pro starts with a 256 Meg Video card in the base 15" Model and also can go up to 512 Megs Video Ram in both th 15 and 17 inch model.

#2 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:24 AM

I thought the MBP already had a 2.6GHz option. If so, the fastest MBP did not get any faster with this release. Same video controller as well but now with 512MB (don't see how that helps me).

The 17" hi-res display is now LED. New trackpad. No 320GB or 500GB 5400 rpm drive. Pretty modest upgrade.
I love it when a plan comes together.
- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith

------
Nikon, Seatool, Nexus, Inon
My Galleries

#3 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 08:57 AM

I thought the MBP already had a 2.6GHz option. If so, the fastest MBP did not get any faster with this release. Same video controller as well but now with 512MB (don't see how that helps me).

Some Apple apps (such as Aperture and Motion) offload to the video card and with Leopard and plans it seems that more things will be using the video cards, the extra VRAM, even in the base models (used to be 128/256) is good. The 2.6 is a minor bump.

The 17" hi-res display is now LED. New trackpad. No 320GB or 500GB 5400 rpm drive. Pretty modest upgrade.

Yup modest but a couple of nice features with no increase in price. As to the HDs Apple is usually a bit behind in those, seems they wait until the drives are out in the market a bit before using them (and usually charge alot), though the 320 Gigs have been out awhile. I have not yet tried either of those drives (have not found the 500 GB since it was announced, did some looking but not seriously yet for those).

#4 mandarinfish

mandarinfish

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 09:22 AM

Admittedly, this is a minor update. Weren't the Macbook Pros at 2.4Ghz before? Anyway, the move to 45nm Penryn will provide better battery life due to the reduced voltage, and there will be some performance improvement from the SSE4 support and larger L2, especially for video encoding.

Whether it's worth upgrading from a previous Macbook Pro, I guess it depends. I have an original MBP, and while I would love to have these improvements, I'll probably stick with what I've got for a bit longer. More updates are always coming down the pipe! I'm still waiting for Apple to get their act together on the Blu-ray story!

Linda

#5 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:10 AM

The first two 500GB drives announced are 12.5 mm so they can't be used in a MBP unless Apple had done some reworking internally for this release. In my opinion, claiming that the machine is a "Pro" machine suggests that they offer such features. Samsung has also announced a 500GB drive, the third to do so, and theirs is 9 mm thick. Not surprisingly, they will be later because they didn't add a 3rd platter. Apple has done exclusives in the past such as the Superdrive. They could do that again if they are really positioning their machines as the pro's choice. Apparently, pros need 512MB of video memory but not leadership disk drives.

I'm annoyed that Apple can't keep up in hard drive capacity and performance and that they make it so hard to do hard drive upgrades in the MBP. Similar upgrades to the MacBook are easy.

------
My Galleries

#6 CeeDave

CeeDave

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:Underwater, especially large animals<br />Landscape, especially wetlands

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

<snipped>
I'm annoyed that Apple can't keep up in hard drive capacity and performance and that they make it so hard to do hard drive upgrades in the MBP. Similar upgrades to the MacBook are easy.

Boy, howdy, is that ever true. And the latches around the case are very sticky. Be careful. If you do upgrade the HD, this link may be helpful.
Chris White
Subal ND70 + 2X DS125 ... mostly 10.5, 16, and 60

#7 craig

craig

Full Moon Rising

• Super Mod
  • 2826 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:02 AM

Samsung announced that they've begun shipments of their 500GB drive and retail availability should be soon. MSRP is $299. Time to upgrade. :-)

Incidentally, I was wrong about the platter count. Samsung's is 3 platters at 167GB per platter. Pretty impressive getting 3 platters into a 9.5mm drive. Wonder if Eric is going to do a 2 drive RAID 0 1TB boot drive in his MBP? :rolleyes:

------
My Galleries

#8 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

Samsung announced that they've begun shipments of their 500GB drive and retail availability should be soon. MSRP is $299. Time to upgrade. :-)

Cool news. I was thinking of increasing my MacBook Pro up. 500 Gigs in a laptop. Sweet :D

Incidentally, I was wrong about the platter count. Samsung's is 3 platters at 167GB per platter. Pretty impressive getting 3 platters into a 9.5mm drive. Wonder if Eric is going to do a 2 drive RAID 0 1TB boot drive in his MBP? :rolleyes:

That is overkill even by my standards, but overkill is good :D Maybe we should start a pool on when Eric will post those results?

#9 Craig Ruaux

Craig Ruaux

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

Boy, howdy, is that ever true. And the latches around the case are very sticky. Be careful. If you do upgrade the HD, this link may be helpful.

Actually, it wasn't all that hard :rolleyes:

It took me 15 mins or so to pull my OEM drive from my Core Duo macbook pro and replace it with a 250GB Western Digital 'Scorpio', and it is amazing how much of a new lease on life it has given my laptop. The trickiest bit I found was removing the cabling ribbon that runs across the drive.
Why would I take a perfectly good camera underwater??
D300, D200, D70, 12-24 f4 AFS DX, 60mm f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 AF-S VR, 105 f2.8 AF-S VR, Tokina Wunderlens.

Photo galleries @ Ruaux.net

#10 Canuck

Canuck

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

If you do upgrade the HD, this link may be helpful.

I upgraded the HD in my MBP. Those instructions were very useful.

And the latches around the case are very sticky. Be careful.

Sticky? Downright scary. I could not believe how hard it was to get the front of the case to pop free.

The trickiest bit I found was removing the cabling ribbon that runs across the drive.

Me too. It was stuck down well. One slip, and I figured it would be wrecked. I got it done in the end.

Needed a beer to calm my nerves after. :D :rolleyes:

John Davies
Canon 70D / Nauticam / dual Inons
my photos