17 replies to this topic

#1 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:caves, Deep shipwrecks and,reefs

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

Hey Guys, I take people on dive trips around the world . Part of their dive package includes an underwater video of their trip. Right now i have footage of Honduras, Malaysia, and Bonaire, I have ran out of choices for music, I checked out the royalty free music, its very expensive $ 99.00 for one cd, I may or may not be able to use the music, but that takes care of only on video at best, I still have two others, I think it is tacky to use the same music on all videos, considering a lot of the same people are repeat customers, I have also purchased a software program called music maker, very complicated and time consuming, i would have more time in making the music then i would taking the video and edited it.
I am not a very musical person either.

Help
Larry

#2 vidodivr

vidodivr

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:22 AM

Check out Sound Dogs, they have a large selection and you buy the music by the track, it ranges from a couple US dollars and up.

Good Luck

Rob

Hey Guys, I take people on dive trips around the world . Part of their dive package includes an underwater video of their trip. Right now i have footage of Honduras, Malaysia, and Bonaire, I have ran out of choices for music, I checked out the royalty free music, its very expensive $ 99.00 for one cd, I may or may not be able to use the music, but that takes care of only on video at best, I still have two others, I think it is tacky to use the same music on all videos, considering a lot of the same people are repeat customers, I have also purchased a software program called music maker, very complicated and time consuming, i would have more time in making the music then i would taking the video and edited it.
I am not a very musical person either.

Help
Larry

Edited by vidodivr, 28 February 2008 - 11:22 AM.

Have a good one,
Rob LaLonde
Rec and Tek Media, Inc.
Full Service Film and Video Production

Classic KISS #87
HVX200, Seatool Housing, L&M Sunray 2000

#3 Scuba_SI

Scuba_SI

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1063 posts
  • Interests:Owner / Manager / Handyman at NAD-Lembeh.

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:52 AM

check eBay and search online.

There was a producers website that gave you a few tracks free, it was discussed on here before and i joined it, was quite good stuff. I forgot the website now though. :P

Maybe search wetpixel for 'music'

Nauticam Rossa / 5Dmk3 / A7r / EM-1 / S110

http://vimeo.com/lembehmuckdiver

www.nad-lembeh.com: 2:1 diveguide ratio for June / July 2014!!

#4 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 12:04 PM

I use shockwave or a company called aka music... still expensive though. But better than a copyright lawsuit.

Also I think that its heaps more professional to use RFM, you never know where your film will end up!

J

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#5 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 28 February 2008 - 04:30 PM

Here is a site with music on it.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/

Another one here
http://www.stock20.c...merce/index.php
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#6 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 28 February 2008 - 05:21 PM

If you are on a Mac than you can create your own using Soundtrack Pro or Garage band.
I love to use Sonic Fire Pro which is fine for Macs or even PCs.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#7 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 08:21 PM

Here is a site with music on it.
http://www.jamendo.com/en/

I found some music on there that I really liked but you've got to be careful with the licences. In this case it had a CreativeCommons "Some Rights Reserved" licence:

You can copy, distribute, advertise, and perform this album as long as you :

Give credit to the artist

Don't use this album for commercial purposes

Don't alter, transform or build upon this album

I expect a lot of the music on Jamendo comes with the same licence which means that videos with the music definitely can't be sold and use on a commercial site (selling products/advertising) is dubious.

#8 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:01 PM

I tried once to create some music in Garage band it sounded a cross between a year 1 concert and killing a multitude of animals... :P

I think $20 for a soundtrack is a bargain!

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#9 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2856 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 09:25 PM

I tried once to create some music in Garage band it sounded a cross between a year 1 concert and killing a multitude of animals... :P

Could be worse, Metal Machine Music covered by N*Synch for instance :)

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

Larry, use the search function to find a deal I arranged for wetpixel members with Stock20. It is in the editing/production sub forum and someone has been nice enough to bump it up for you.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 l.babcock

l.babcock

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Interests:caves, Deep shipwrecks and,reefs

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:08 PM

where do I search at, and what do I put in the search, I went to stock20 website couldnt find anything for wetpixel members.

Thanks for all of your guys help

Larry, use the search function to find a deal I arranged for wetpixel members with Stock20. It is in the editing/production sub forum and someone has been nice enough to bump it up for you.

#12 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 01 March 2008 - 04:43 PM

Actually, the $7 deal for wetpixel members is the same deal Stock 20 has been running for everyone since they first came on the market.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#13 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

Larry there is a search function in the menu bars of this website. However, the deal is no longer valid after being over 1 year! However the stock20 website does still have royalty free tracks.

Steve if you read the post on the deal at the time, it was an extra $7 for WP members on top of the deal they had for everyone else. Otherwise I wouldn't call it a deal for WP.
http://wetpixel.com/...showtopic=16484

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#14 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

oops, my bad.
Steve

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#15 PCDiver

PCDiver

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:04 PM

I found some music on there that I really liked but you've got to be careful with the licences. In this case it had a CreativeCommons "Some Rights Reserved" licence:

You can copy, distribute, advertise, and perform this album as long as you :

Give credit to the artist

Don't use this album for commercial purposes

Don't alter, transform or build upon this album

I expect a lot of the music on Jamendo comes with the same licence which means that videos with the music definitely can't be sold and use on a commercial site (selling products/advertising) is dubious.

I was wondering about the "not for commercial purposes" as well. I don't sell the videos but I plan to have some of the podcasts sponsored. Is that legal under the "not for commercial purposes" CC agreement?
>>> Submerge Productions dedicated to technical diving

#16 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:28 PM

I think sponsored videos/podcasts would probably count as commercial use.

If there's a piece you like then best to ask the artist concerned and tell them the exact use.

I have found that musicians are often very happy to let you use their music in exchange for a credit. They seem to like the exposure. I have even had a couple write tracks specially for me and allow me to use them for free on DVDs that I sell. There are loads of forums on the net for songwriters and they are a good place to ask.

Songwriters and V-jays are also often looking for some footage to use. I have traded like this in the past. So my stuff gets projected on a big screen in a club and I can use 3 of his tracks on my projects.

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10642 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hey I've seen your stuff on Banana and Tiger before... although I've never been to anyone of them of course! :rolleyes:

Drew

#18 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:12 PM

Now why wouldn't you want to frequent such wholesome venues? Then again you're still the only Patong visitor who specifically asked for a massage venue that doesn't offer happy endings. Some bad experience in the past?