11 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

OK, so these aren't shots of surfers, but there were surfers out on the outer break. These are also the first wave photos I've ever taken!

I took them on Feb 14 and 15, 2008, on the North Shore of Oahu. The swell was supposed to be much larger, and the local guys seemed disappointed... but I was pretty happy.

Norbert Wu invited me out and even lent me his D200 with 500mm lens! What a guy.

Posted Image
Breaking waves at Waimea Bay Beach Park, Oahu, Hawaii

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:34 AM

I like it!

Todd
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#3 Lionfish43

Lionfish43

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:54 AM

Eric takes a couple of photos of waves so now we have to endure surfer dudes on our web-site.

Just kidding, I think it's a great idea to try make Wetpixel more inclusive. I have met a couple of the surf photography guys over the years and those people have some skills.
Larry Oberlander My Webpage
Nikon D200, Aquatica AD200

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:36 AM

Cool; these should make some nice prints.
How's it feel to be saddled with a lowly D200 Eric? :)

Edited by loftus, 07 March 2008 - 06:36 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 07 March 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hey, Larry. I think you'd get along with surfer dudes. You guys are so similar! :)

The D200 was fine, actually. It shot quickly, but I thought the autofocus was pretty crappy. Everything is relative, I guess!

Now we need Norb to come on here and post some of his surf stuff...
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#6 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 07 March 2008 - 04:17 PM

Eric I love the shots, especially the last one.

Ahhhhh, memories, are there still older, small wooden cottages, on the other side of the road, just slightly beyond (I'd guess you'd say slightly diagonally North - around the bend) from Wiamea? By the church tower? Or maybe you took these from the rocky area directly across the street? There also used to be a lone phone booth there - very surreal..........., I think they even used that phone booth, what was left of it - or planted one like it in the surf movie "In God's Hands"... (the part where the guy calls the surfer's parents to tell them of his death). Or at least I think someone remembered it was there and posed one like it somewhere else. Everyone used to use that "lonely" phone booth cause no one could afford a phone, wave action while calling collect, yea I remember.......... :)

I used to live in those tiny wooden cottages across the street when I was 19 (which I won't reveal when that was for sure...... :lol: )

Used to hear big waves crashing every minute of every quiet and sometimes lonely night - all throughout the Winter wave season.........

But of course I don't have any photos - especially like that!!! Think I could afford a 500mm lens then? HA! :)

Thanks for the memories, Carol B) I'm thrilled we have a surf photography forum - well done guys - I'm Stoked!

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#7 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:33 PM

Nice colour in the water Eric, looks as though the shutter speeds were quite high - higher then we are used to 'in the water' ?

Couple of the windsurfing guys here want me to take some shots of them, I was up for it until I heard the plan was to to airborne 180 deg flips over the top of me in the water!

At the moment I am holding out as my life insurance is not up to it - that and one of them was carted off the beach last week with smashed bones in the ankle.

These guys add a whole new dimension to the word 'crazy' :)

It's going to be fun to see if this part of the forum takes off - might even persuade me to get in the water with my local nutters.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#8 Mary Lynn

Mary Lynn

Video Expert

• 299 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 09:49 AM

Very cool, Eric!

The wave forms are spectacular--thank you for sharing!

Mary Lynn

#9 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 02:52 PM

I was up for it until I heard the plan was to to airborne 180 deg flips over the top of me in the water!

I suggest wearing a crash helmet, I thought it was sissy stuff, but they insisted, Nice skeg mark on the helmet and one very flooded Stromm housing later I kinda apreciated their advise. Man when these guy's loose it and your in the way it hurts big time, wish I could do it again now with Digital... I guess pain is a fleeting feeling easily forgotten :P
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#10 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 23 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

Eric,
Thats one place I really wanna go to, no wish at all to dive in Hawaii, just go watch some wicked waves - dude!

I love surfing though can't do it, so I simply enjoy bodyboarding from time to time. If anyone wants to shoot some hot waves in Bali, drop me a line, I'll happily take ya. If ya wanna chill, get into surf vibe and eat some of Indonesia's best veggie food, even better! If I'm not around I'll arrange a great local driver and point you in the right place to get some wicked shots!

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 01:15 AM

I believe Graham - he took me to Dreamland when I was in Bali and it was beautiful! The human scenery there is also quite nice :-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#12 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 31 May 2008 - 04:27 AM

Hi James,

Sadly Dreamland has been heavily hit by those nasty money hungry property developers over here. The old Dreamland that you saw ain’t no dream anymore, I’ll try and post some photo’s of what they’ve done to it. Basically all the locals have been kicked off the beach, so no more chilled out places to eat, have a cold drink and relax, I'm sure there will be some high end places comign soon. They’ve cut away the side of the rock and are building like crazy. There is now a huge golf course and resort above Dreamland as well.

Not to worry though, there are other cool places. Dreamland was becoming a huge tourist trap anyway, with bus loads of group tourists going down to see it. If anyone wants to shoot waves and hang out over here let me know and, if at all possible take you down there myself.