www | journal | photos

#22 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:54 PM

Great stuff.

I saw some of my friends last night who had been last week (when they were supposed to be at the Oceans Sciences meeting in Orlando) - they were still buzzing from seeing the two babies playing with each other!

Manatees are the best.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#23 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:44 AM

Nice Eric,
That little guy is so cute how he hangs on to his mom. To think I was going to go up and meet Carol the Friday she saw him, and chose to go diving in West Palm instead. Anyway I probably would have been so excited I would have stirred up the water so Carol would not have been able to get pics. :)
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#24 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:37 PM

I posted a bunch 'o manatee photos:
http://flickr.com/ph...57604109570823/

Wonderful Eric, see everyone Eric goes just 1 & 1/2 times w/me and gets such great shots!! B) Conditions were not even that good, honestly. But of course "Angel" was the star and in any conditions he shines!! :)

Nice Eric,
That little guy is so cute how he hangs on to his mom. To think I was going to go up and meet Carol the Friday she saw him, and chose to go diving in West Palm instead. Anyway I probably would have been so excited I would have stirred up the water so Carol would not have been able to get pics. :P

Everyone, Jeff is probably never going to speak to me again because I actually strongly talked him out of going that day!!!!!! I knew the tide and wind would create an extremely low water level (that is one reason why no one was there cause no motorized boats could make the passage for awhile, bet the manatee knew that too - they are soooo smart!!!..)

Anyway I strongly talked Jeff out of going.......... Actually I still don't even know why I went except Bob Bonde - the afternoon before - told me to go. It wasn't because of any pregnant females - he just thought it would be a good am for me to go. I thought "Boy, Bob water level will be real low and I might get "skunked" (aka no manatee at all)......", but I didn't say anything - he is the expert you know...." So I went on a hunch, but even I was a little late that am and not super motivated...... and it sure was COLD....!

I think this is sort of like loaning your friend your 105 on the dive where the whale shark shows up.......... I'll never live this down and will be making lots of excuses I think... :)

BTW Everyone I went today, 2X (am and pm). It is getting very busy near Easter but oddly this am was very uncrowded, early. Just Bird's, me and another polite captain with a couple of people. These operators have gone to great lengths to educate their snorkelers on the proper manatee interaction and as Eric said "It looks like they are afraid to even touch a manatee".... Well they shouldn't be but it does show they are being educated and trying very hard to let the manatee initiate any interaction....... So some responsible parties are working towards solutions to the crowds, etc.

This am was nice - a few young manatee but no Angel as he was in a different spot. But nice am and this afternoon - nada almost. So the manatee season is winding down and that is good for the manatee as they need to get out to eat some more nutritious food nearer the Gulf of Mexico and find privacy near the Easter holiday.

Of course more pics from me to follow. I'm not as fast as Eric though (and probably never will be....) :) But I've got more manatee stories!!! :P Best, Carol

Edited by seagrant, 13 March 2008 - 07:41 PM.

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#25 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Origin of "Angel's" name.

I thought everyone would like to know why he was named Angel! It is on the front page but in case you don't see it there here is the scoop. :) Best, Carol

Udo's communication:

Hi carol, great photo’s. I heard that Angel is named after Angelika, who was there as well when you took the photos? Or was i wrongly informed?
Keep up the good work

Udo

Posted by Udo van Dongen on 03/13 at 11:32 AM

My Answer re: "Angel":

Yes Udo, Angel is named after Angelika because she was the second one on the scene [about 40 minutes after I first arrived] and I knew she was coming as we had chatted the day before! I was thinking of a name while I was photoing him at first - then I thought “Angel” cause I wasn’t sure if it was a boy or girl and that name can go “both ways”.... (in the hispanic community Angel is a very common name for a boy, and of course Angel is a gals name too). I told her I wanted to name it “Angel” and Angelika seemed to be very pleased and said yes!! :-)

So yes it is a boy named “Angel” after Angelika.... :-) Carol

Posted by seagrant on 03/13 at 11:07 PM

Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

#26 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 10:43 AM

I've finally completed a 5 minute slideshow showing almost 60 photos of Angel the newborn manatee and the various other manatee that were playing a part in his eventful (to say the least....) first few hours of life! I'd embed the video here but I can't figure it out at the moment as I'm rushing out of town. In fact the only reason this slideshow got finished is because "Dad" will expect it....... :)

Please note as many of you are aware this was an extremely rare event to witness underwater, in the wild, and to use 60 photographs of the event, taken over a period lasting just over an hour......... well you can understand I did include some that I wouldn't normally showcase..... :B): . It is just that in order to fully tell the story I took images that fit that purpose and the great thing about the slideshow is it is in sequence!

Here is the link of course for higher quality playback follow directions to link to my Oceangrant Gallery:
Angel the Newborn Manatee Slideshow

Cheers! Carol

Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

#27 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:56 PM

Hey Carol,
I'm going to start a Carol Grant fan club! Two great stories you have with Winter and Angel.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#28 brannon67

brannon67

Hermit Crab

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 12:47 PM

What an awesome picture. What a great find. You were lucky to see this, and get this shot. Its rare. Precious baby. I love manatees, and have swam with them a few times. As much as I want to go back and swim with them and touch them again, I now feel that they are better left alone by me. They have enough A-hole's touching them already. We must protect these creatures. It would be a tragic loss for us and planet earth, if these creatures were to become extinct, GOD FORBID this should ever happen..

#29 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 07 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

Watching those images awakens strange warm fuzzy maternal feelings in me that previously only have been evoked by the sight of new camera bodies or lenses

Edited by Marjo, 07 August 2008 - 02:44 PM.