• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 07:21 PM

I use -5 @ f10 for my macro setup with a second strobe @ -6 if I want it less flat. I started to do a test that shows the settings on the 90DX are fairly accurate by shooting at each setting and adjusting my aperature 1 stop every time. I did the first four stops and they all produced consistant exposures. Every so often I will use the -6/7 setting on a reflective surface doing macro.

________
Robert

#62 lanierb

lanierb

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 22 April 2002 - 09:22 PM

Same for me. I use anywhere from -3 to -5 for macro, and sometimes -6 if its a really light colored subject like the white nudibranchs common around here.

#63 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 23 April 2002 - 07:47 PM

Oh, yeah. I keep thinking, "I always use f32+ for macro, and need lots of light." I haven't retrained my thinking to P&S yet.

Yeah, at f10, you sure would need to drop the light output. Since I use TTL, I just hadn't noticed.
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#64 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 05:38 PM

Will the CP5000 in the ikelite housing use TTL if you use ikelites ttl sync cord?

If I do not use the cord will the sensor work on the Ds-125 with this specific camera / housing? I have called ikelite and they are not admitting they have a problem with the ds-125 or the sensor.

Help..

[Edited on 5-1-2002 by Reefkeep]

#65 derway

derway

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1136 posts

Posted 30 April 2002 - 05:55 PM

Yes to both.

If they have a problem, it is only in a couple of units, with bad parts or solder joints.

If you *ever* have a problem with any ikelite equipment, you can be sure it will be fixed, improved, or whatever, and gotten back to you with incredible speed and service. I've tried to talk them into accepting payment a few times, when I thought I was 50% likely to have been the cause! No luck!

This industry is so small, (in numbers of units per year), that many of the underwater manufacturers have problems with various products either when they first start selling them, (which is the case with the ds125 and ds sensor), or sometime down the road, when a batch of marginal parts come in, that barely squeak by testing, and fail during shipment...

This is an unavoidable consequence of the relatively small market. You can't afford to spend infinite time and resources testing, when you'll only ever sell so many per year.

From what I've heard and observed, most of the manufacturers do a good job of gracefully dealing with these issues, and keeping their customers happy.

From my own personal experience of using ikelite stuff for 10 years, they do a superlative job. Even if there are issues with a particular unit, you can bet they will be resolved to your total satisfaction.

Don
Don Erway
http://picasaweb.google.com/onederway/
http://www.pbase.com/derway

nikon n90s/ikelite housing/twin SS-200 canon G2/ikelite/DS-50/optical TTL slave
sony V3/ikelite/DS-51/Heinrich DA2 slave

#66 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 05:01 AM

Personally, I think you'll get better performance using the sync cord. If you can use a sync cord, why would you want to use the sensor?

It's a 5 pin sync cord afterall, and correct me if I'm wrong, but only 2 or 3 of those pins control, firing and TTL. The other two pass information back and forth between the camera.

For instance, my SB102 strobe tells the Coolpix5000 when it is recycled and ready to fire again. While the strobe is charging, I get the flashing "lightning bolt" on the Coolpix's LCD screen. I think there is a TTL ready signal as well. Ike and Larry would know - I believe they tested all of this while developing the CP5K housing.

Cheers
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#67 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 03:03 PM

The cord seems like the way to go! Thank for the help. Any suggestions of were to buy a strobe at a good price?

Chris@reefkeep.com
www.jaxdivers.com

#68 rstark

rstark

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 03:24 PM

Try B&H Photo http://www.bhphoto.com They have great prices and good customer service.

________
Robert

#69 Reefkeep

Reefkeep

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 May 2002 - 05:53 PM

So far I can find the Ds-125 kit for 650.00 best deal so far.

I can also find the sb104 new for 375.00.

Hmmmm

[Edited on 5-2-2002 by Reefkeep]

#70 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 04:58 AM

The Ike strobe recycles in under one second. Don't know if that's important to you or not...

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#71 madbadgerous

madbadgerous

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:12 AM

hi,
i am looking for advice on what strobes to purchase for diving in Ireland. my camera is a Nikon D90 with an ikelite housing.
any information would be appreciated.
Brian