• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Liz Hanks

Liz Hanks

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 05:27 PM

I put together and uploaded a table with everything I could find on the D3 housings that are expected to come out. I did a similar thing a while back for the HC3 when I temporarily switched over to video. The D3 table was a lot easier to produce though, since there are very few housings for it :-)

Let me know if there are any additions or corrections. I'll eventually include links to reviews and relevant forum threads.

Enjoy,

Liz

#2 Warren_L

Warren_L

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the table. Very helpful to have in one place. I believe that the Aquatica will have the option of having two nikonos bulkheads or one ikelite style bulkhead, if I recall correctly.

I've already made up my mind about the housing, but still very handy to see this.

#3 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 05:27 AM

Thanks for the table!

Now if only we can get some people to try out the D3 on D2x housings and see what controls are missing, and add it to the table...
Nikon D3, 17-35mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm VR

#4 Liz Hanks

Liz Hanks

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:55 AM

You're quite welcome.

I believe that the Aquatica will have the option of having two nikonos bulkheads or one ikelite style bulkhead, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the heads up. I haven't found this written down anywhere yet in the Aquatica literature, but as soon as we get more details I'll add them to the table.

Now if only we can get some people to try out the D3 on D2x housings and see what controls are missing, and add it to the table...

Berkley White already tried this out. His article is here, in case you haven't seen it. Since the D3 doesn't really fit into the D2X housings, and the D3 housings will have slightly different properties than their D2X counterparts, I think we just need to wait this one out and see what controls the new housings are in fact missing.

Cheers,

Liz

#5 Viz'art

Viz'art

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1496 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 10:12 AM

Hello Liz, for your spreadsheet: The Aquatica D3 housing will be available with the following variants:

# 20058 : Double manual Nikonos Type Bulkhead (standard default set up) but is also available in 5 pins TTL on request for use with a TTL converter or a housed SB 800 flash.

OR

# 20058KM : Single Ikelite Bulkhead in manual 2 pins # 20058KM

OR

# 20058KT : Single Ikelite Bulkhead for TTL with 5 pins # 20058KT for uses with their iTTL converter.

and also

# 20058VF : this version includes the standard view finder as well as the Aqua View Finder.

The Ikelite bulkhead is only available in single configuration and is 100% original Ikelite parts including the hot shoe assembly.
Jean Bruneau / Aquatica Technical Advisor

www.vizart.ca

www.aquatica.ca

Aquatica Pro Digital housings for D-300s, AF 10-20mm, AF 10-17mm, AF 14MM, AF 17-35mm, af 17-70mm, AF 20MM, AF 60MM, AF 105MM, 2x Ikelite Ds 160, and TLC arms exclusively

#6 ChrisJ

ChrisJ

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 12:55 PM

Which of these housings can take Hugyfot Ports with an adapter?
Nikon D3, 17-35mm f/2.8, 35-70mm f/2.8, 50mm 1.8, 70-300mm VR

#7 Yoko Qno

Yoko Qno

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:05 AM

Sea&Sea Japan has announced the release of D3 housing on Mar 13, 2008.D3 housing is scheduled to be available in late Mar.
http://www.seaandsea...1205390447.html
Construction: Body: Corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy (machined)/anodized body, grip: corrosion-resistant aluminum alloy (die-cast)
Depth rating: 60m/200ft
Dimensions (WxHxD): 355x220x121mm
Weight: approx.3,150g (housing only)
Price: JPY480,000

Yoko

Attached Images

• MDX_D3.jpg

Canon 5D,350D Sea&Sea DX-5D,DX-350D,Canon580EX(Nautilus Housing),YS-110,YS-90,D-2000 My blog

#8 Liz Hanks

Liz Hanks

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 01:45 PM

I've received a lot of information from Aquatica, Sea&Sea, Seacam, and Subal reps since I first posted, so I've uploaded a new much bigger version of the D3 housings table.

Please let me know if you see anything that needs to be corrected.

Given ChrisJ's question about Hugyfot ports, I realize that extra information about port compatibility and adapters would be useful. When I get a new burst of energy, I'll tackle that one and any other suggestions.

Thanks,

Liz

#9 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 02:11 PM

You'll have earned that housing when it finally arrives, Liz! All your hard work is really appreciated.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#10 Liz Hanks

Liz Hanks

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:27 PM

You'll have earned that housing when it finally arrives, Liz! All your hard work is really appreciated.

Alex

You're quite welcome :-)

It looks like I won't have to wait long. Backscatter has just gotten a shipment of ND3s from Subal. They're have the type 3 (older/smaller) port openings. There are some photos and notes from a first dive with one of these housings here. I didn't expect both the AF-On and AE-Lock buttons to be accessible simultaneously on any D3 housing, but it looks like from Berkley's report that you can with the ND3. Nice touch.

The housings with the newer/larger type 4 port opening are due to ship this week. I should have mine next week and will hopefully get it wet the following weekend. Yay.

I'll update the D3 housing table when I get home this evening. If anybody has updates on other manufacturer ship dates, features, etc., let me know and I'll make those changes too.

Liz
Posted Image
http://lizhanks.com/