Chris Crumley, Virginia Beach, VA

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 chriscrumley

chriscrumley

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:scuba diving, photography, multi-rotor radio controlled aircraft, computers, boats

Posted 12 March 2008 - 04:20 PM

I've been a member since 2005 or so. But, except for a check-in here and there, have been largely MIA. No real excuses except just busy working.

I did a lot of dive and travel magazine editorial in the late 80s and 90s. There's a very long list in the Client section of my site (chriscrumley.com). At one point, starting with the inception of the magazine, had done more Scuba Diving covers than all but one other photographer. I still work with Scuba Diving some, but Stephen Frink does most of their work now. I like the stronger visuals Keith was talking about.

In the 90s, I founded ASMP's Underwater Specialty Group and, with co-chair Georgienne Bradley, put a very long five years into trying to get underwater photographers to band together and charge real money for their photography.

Seacams and MkII/MkIII Canons aren't cheap. Nor are medium format digital. So, I now work both dry and wet doing jobs that pay reasonable money (mostly stock and advertising). If you check my pictureBlog, you'll know the things I love are still quite wet (blog.chriscrumley.com). I'm working on a book about women and water. It includes mermaids.

I'll do my best to contribute here in WetPixel; I'm not here freeloading. So here goes:

Follow Brian Skerry's National Geo story Blog under the ice in Japan. Mauricio Handler (ex-BVI photographer) is with him assisting and Hiro Drogin (Mrs. Steve Drogin/San Diego) is interpreting. Brian told me today (tomorrow in Japan) that my 80F mermaids sounded pretty good to him after being in the cold there.

http://ngm.typepad.c...s-ocean-wi.html

Chris

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hi Chris,

Welcome (back) to Wetpixel.

Cheers
James Wiseman
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1054 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:27 AM

Hi Chris,

Nice to hear your still hard at work. Your web site is very impressive and diverse.

I was at the DEMA meeting in the 90's when the idea was hatched to form an underwater specialty group as part of ASMP. At the time I was a full time Police Officer in the city of West Palm Beach selling photos on the side. Now that I am retired I work for Dive Chronicles a bimonthly magazine which also produces dive shows in four states.

I am interested to hear if you are still involved with the ASMP group and what advancements you feel the group has made in regard to the original issue of treatment of U/W photographers in the market place.

Phil Rudin

#4 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 13 March 2008 - 07:46 AM

Hey Chris how are ya!? haven't heard from you for a while thats for sure.

hope things are well and see you again sometime!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#5 chriscrumley

chriscrumley

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Interests:scuba diving, photography, multi-rotor radio controlled aircraft, computers, boats

Posted 13 March 2008 - 12:49 PM

I am interested to hear if you are still involved with the ASMP group and what advancements you feel the group has made in regard to the original issue of treatment of U/W photographers in the market place.
Phil Rudin

Phil,

ASMPUW made progress at developing some awareness, but many uw photographers were not willing to be part of a movement to propose realistic rates to dive editorial and stick to them. Any movement like that needed a committed core of senior photographers. Without them, it wouldn't work.

After five years, I resigned the ASMPUW Co-Chair; Georgienne Bradley remained as Chair. ASMPUW is still a named Specialty Group in ASMP, but for now is largely dormant.

My personal efforts were re-focused more toward advertising and stock photography. It was a good move for me.

Chris

Hey Chris how are ya!? Haven't heard....see you again sometime!

Mike,

I'm trying to get back to Yap this Fall. I refuse to be shut out by those little green sex maniacs at dusk.

Your profile still says Yap. I thought you left there.

Chris

Welcome (back) to Wetpixel.

James,

Wow, almost 9,000 posts. You've been busy here. Glad to see the Seacam is still working. Do you know who have the new MkIII Seacam housings?

Chris

#6 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6187 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 13 March 2008 - 05:03 PM

Oops! so it does.. i have to change that.

i am currently in Bali. I will be in Yap for 2 weeks in Sept, perhaps i might even shoot the little green buggers... if Bill doesn't catch me for Happy Hour.. :)

Mike

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com