9 replies to this topic

#1 mmb

mmb

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 01:21 AM

Hy to all

Next August I go to Seychelles (to the resort in the Saintte Anne Island my Wife love it)

Someone know this place?

What about diving?

Please help me!

Thanks

Mariano

cp5000 [:] Ikelite housing [:] Single DS125 My Webpage
Mariano

D200; Sea&Sea housing; Single Inon Z240; 12-24DX; 10,5DX fish eye; 60 micro; 105 micro.
www.mardigital.net

#2 yahsemtough

yahsemtough

Great Canadian Mokarran

• Senior Moderator
  • 3495 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 07:40 AM

Email or Private Message Cybergoldfish as he lives there half time. I am heading there next year in October as it sounds great!
Todd Mintz
tmintz.com
all photographs posted Todd C Mintz

#3 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 08 May 2003 - 12:05 PM

Hi Mariano,

I live in Seychelles half the year so I guess I can fill you in about Seychelles.

The resort on St. Anne Island is Very New so I am not sure which diving centre has taken over the operation yet.

SORE POINT
There was a bit of controversy over the building of this resort slap-bang in the middle of the Indian Oceans first Marine National Park back in 2000/2001, but when you are the prodigal son you can get away with things like this - He leased the land from the state for peanuts, brought in money men to fund the building of the hotel and stands to make a fortune from it. A normal thing for a totalitarian state. He stated in the local paper that conservation issues would be addressed - They were: He didn't give a shit!

As a result the beaches that were reserved for endangered species of turtle will now be turned over to sunbathing and destructive water sports. Needless to say the future turtle population of the area will be affected. The resort offers a great view of the radio masts docks and Tuna factory just across the bay.

St Anne is not the best location for diving in Seychelles - The dive sites are pretty mundane and shallow, and only usually dived during north westerlies when the better places are blown out. Although until the hotel was built there were hundreds of species of corals. Best diving you will be able to do is Macro & Close-up work.

The visibility in August is very poor, but this bloom usually brings in the Whaleshark season, so it is not ALL bad news. The bay of St. Anne will see a gathering prior to them swimming around the north west coast of Mahe. The dive operator will try and get you onto the better sites but this will depend on the weather and amount of clients interested.

Snorkeling is pretty poor too, unless you're over a rocky bottom. Currents around St Anne can be very strong and dangerous, one reason the state prison is on a neighboring 'Long island'.

Whilst on the resort (Unless it's all-inc) you will be charged TOP DOLLAR for anything & everything, and one reason I would not recommend any resort in Seychelles whilst they have there huge financial problems and no legitimate exchange rate with international banks - They fixed their currency rates very very low in the hope the tourists would bail them out of their problems - has not happened. DO NOT BUY ANY LOCAL CURRENCY except for a few dollars to shop in Victoria... Tourists are not allowed to pay for any services at all in local money.

Seychelles is a beautiful country - Heaven on earth, but the state has just ruined everything but the scenery. The people who are not associated with the "Royal Family" suffer borderline survival, and it's not unusual to find 4 generations living in one tin "outhouse" with no proper facilities. This is why the vast majority of Seychellois live in UK, France or Mauritias. The Rich contingent really love to throw their wealth in the face of the poorer people too... Big cars, big houses on the hills etc.

To check this out have a wander around the main island, go into the state super markets and look at shelf after shelf of nothing much at 3 times the price of Europe. I can spend the equivelent of $500 in one of these stores and carry it all back to my car!!!

The diving around Praslin, North & West Mahe is superb, but there are only two windows per year for the optimum times. March & April, Middle September - End November. THEN Seychelles will blow your mind both for marinelife & u/w topography including wrecks.

If you get chance to do a trip to Praslin go to Octopus Divers and Veronique will show you the sharks at Marianne Island.

Hope that gives you an overview.

For other alternatives drop me an email.

#4 mmb

mmb

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:08 PM

Hy Cibergoldfish

Thanks for your answer!

Not too god news!

If St Anne is not the best location for diving where are the god places. To far from the resort?

You tel me that the visibility in August is very poor. What is poor for you?

Not everything is bad i will dive in the Whaleshark season! And I shot for Macro & Close-up.

Well I cant change the tryp because my Wife look the Sainte Anne web and love it!

Ok thanks for all

Mariano
Mariano

D200; Sea&Sea housing; Single Inon Z240; 12-24DX; 10,5DX fish eye; 60 micro; 105 micro.
www.mardigital.net

#5 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 08 May 2003 - 04:18 PM

Hi Mariano,

Poor viz in August goes down to around 5 m (Max)!

The good places for diving on Mahe are in the north and north west, with an incredible offshore site off the midwest. Honestly, there are so many fish on this one particular site you can't get your head around it!
Then there are the turtles, eagle ray, sharks etc. etc. Unfortunately they are too far from St Anne resort, but probably inaccessible anyway due to the varying sea states.

Hope you get some good macro of the Whalesharks!!!

#6 mmb

mmb

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 12:19 AM

Good morning in Spain!

Hello Cybergoldfish:

5 meters really are not much! Saint Anne is in the northeast! Doesnt it? And the good places for diving on Mahe are in the north and north west.

Ive read that the Beau Vallon Bay is trhe better place. Its really? Its too far from the Resort?

you really think that I will not see turtles, eagle ray, sharks etc.? Only macro of the Whalesharks!!!

It would even be better elsewhere of the island for August? Or they are
all equal ones during that month.

It is really my honeymoon. and my wife does not dive much. So, please, can you tell me some good hotel to me in the good zone of the island.

thanks for your commentaries, I prefer to know the bad news before arriving.

Mariano
Mariano

www.mardigital.net

#7 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 12:55 AM

Hi,

The Berjaya Beau Vallon Bay is a well located hotel, plus the Coral Strand too, both have good dive centres. Both are 60's hotels, so not too luxurious unless you go for the Berjaya's Garden Chalets - these are good, food is good too.

My house is in Beau Vallon - 5 minutes from Coral Strand.

#8 mmb

mmb

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 09 May 2003 - 01:11 AM

Ok,

Thanks for all, Ill study my tryp

Mariano
Mariano

www.mardigital.net

#9 mmb

mmb

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 21 May 2003 - 07:55 AM

I Cancel my trip to Seychelles!

The first stop was Kenya and now is not the better place to be!

Im looking French Polynesia. Moorea and Bora Bora Islands. Somebody knows them?
What about the weather in August?

Thanks
Mariano

www.mardigital.net

#10 mmb

mmb

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 02:59 AM

OK!

I post this question about French Polynesia in another topic.

Chers

Mariano
Mariano

www.mardigital.net