Concerned: DEPP Insurance

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 17 April 2008 - 06:04 AM

Don't rule out a 'personal article policy' from your normal (home/car) insurer. I just got one for $6500 replacement coverage, for $85/year**, thru State Farm (I think the underwriter was Fireman's same as DAN uses). It's a totally separate policy than either home or car, so while they might choose not to renew it if I have a claim, it by statute CAN NOT influence my homeowner or car insurance rates if I have a claim.

**FYI, the cost would have been more had I had to claim I was a "professional" photog. I had to sign that I had never been paid to take photos. Note the distinction: winning money in a contest or eventually selling one is getting paid FOR a photo, not being paid (contracted, in advance) TO take photos. Of course for me even the distinction doesn't matter. :D

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#22 longipalmus

longipalmus

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

DEPP insurance company: If anyone knows what is going on with this company ... I took a contract with them back in 2007. I had a claim.After months, they wrote me an e-mail (I live abroad) saying they sent me a check by post. The money never arrived, my mails and calls never never answered.They even hanged up on me. Had to go to Africa for my job, now it is 2009, after 50+e-mails, phone calls and letters since 2007, what to think?
I wish someone would help me out to get those 1900 (2700$) back.Any help would be very much appreciated

#23 AlanWilliams

AlanWilliams

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 04:55 AM

Have been insured with DEPP for many years but never filed a claim. Delta lost ALL of my dive gear after a trip to the Revillagigedos last Dec. When I tried to file a claim (and it took 3 weeks to finally get a response) DEPP said I had to "wait and see what Delta does" before I could file. After 3 MONTHS of ranting and begging, Delta miraculously "found" all of my lost equipment! I will not be re-uping with DEPP due to this incident and am looking into a local company for coverage. It seemed the only prompt service offered by DEPP was billing my AMEX for the policy.