• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 06:50 AM

I just figured out I can fit my housing both strobes, laptop and G2 in my lowepro stealth 650 bag. :)

Now only question, am I going to have trouble trying to carry on those strobes on an overseas flight?

#2 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:25 AM

I always travel with my camera kit and laptop in my hand luggage.

I usually get stopped (at UK airports) and my bag searched. This means everything taken out and swiped with a rag which is then tested for bomb residue. This is inconvenient but not the end of the world and they have never prevented me from taking anything on. DO NOT travel with any tools (of any description) in your hand luggage as these will be confiscated (I had a tyre lever for my bicycle taken recently which I left in a side pocket - how I can hijack a plane with that I don't know).

Sometimes you can get grief at check in over weight. I always wear combat trousers and if this happens I take as much out of my bag and put it in my pockets as possible. One strobe in each pocket on the leg for example. For some strange reason this is acceptable as your bag then weighs less. No weight limit on your clothes/pockets. Ridiculous I know. My olympus 4040 is in the offical case which can attach to my belt.

This has only happened to me twice out of about 15 flights.

Also be really nice to them at check in and if you are charming enough and early enough they don't ask.

Well that's my two pence worth.

Good luck

Mark
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.
Lighting: 2 x Ikelite DS-125, 2 x Manual controller

My Pictures

#3 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:29 AM

Great! thanks for the advice Mark. I'll let you know how it goes!

#4 SharpDiver

SharpDiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 10:41 AM

I've done it several times with strobes, Bob. Shouldn't be a problem. Transport with batteries removed to keep them happy.

#5 rbhayes

rbhayes

Starfish

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 01:06 PM

Just got back from a trip with 3 flight legs in each direction - no issues with my camera gear which included 2 strobes - even left the batteries in.

#6 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 01:14 PM

Don't let Bob at Southern Nikonos know that you left the batteries in your strobes.

Bad bad!!!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#7 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 01:20 PM

haha James! Aint he great!

Thanks for all the advice to all

Bob

#8 Tio Loco

Tio Loco

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 01:50 PM

Originally posted by jamesw
Don't let Bob at Southern Nikonos know that you left the batteries in your strobes.

Bad bad!!!

Cheers
James

That's a new one on me... why?

Richard

#9 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 02:04 PM

It sets up a cathodic cell that will corrode the contacts in your strobes.

Or worse yet, the batteries can LEAK acid inside your strobe.

If you don't belive me, just call Bob and ask him about it...hehe.

Last time I was over there (He's in Houston) Bob showed me how to clean the electrical contacts with an eraser. Very cool tool to have in your "kit."

Cheers
James

[Edited on 5-2-2002 by jamesw]
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#10 bobjarman

bobjarman

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 02:36 PM

I was chuckling in sincere admiration.....Bob is a wonderful guy who truly loves and understands nikonos equipment. He will tell you exactly what he thinks about wquipment choices.

I have had the pleasure of talking with him a few times on the phone. My guess is hes one of the most knowledgable people around when it comes to how a nikonos works and should be cared for. The chuckle was because he is not the least bid hesitant to tell you if your doing something wrong. You have to have the pleasure of talking with him to understand, and once again I saw that with nothing but admiration and respect.

#11 davephdv

davephdv

Doc Eyeballs

• Senior Moderator
  • 2293 posts

Posted 02 May 2002 - 07:34 PM

I flooded a Nik V and 15mm lens in Australia. My Ins. balked at paying, saying that flood damage wasn't included. I gave them Bob's number. Three days later my check was in my mailbox. Didn't even charge me my deducatable. Their are some advantages to being known as crazy bob.
Dave Burroughs, Nikon D300, D2X, Subal housing, DS160 strobes

Life is a beach and then you dive.

My Website