• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 StuartL

StuartL

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 03:24 PM

I'm intending to take a Canon 5D underwater, with the 100mm macro or the 16-35mm II, depending on my mood and what I'm shooting. I've already started picking up bits and pieces of an Aquatica housing as I can afford them (Australia being what it is, there's very little local stock, so I'm getting them from B&H).

The question is: is it desirable to put a diopter on the 16-35mm when using it with the 8" dome? Being an 82mm filter thread, there are no direct options available, but Schneider Optics do make a filter in the Series 9 size, as well as an adapter to mount Series 9 filters on 82mm threads (information I picked up from the uwphotochat forums.) Minimum focus distance for this lens is 28cm.

The other thing that's bugging me: what should I do in terms of servicing the housing? Cleaning the easy-to-reach O rings is fine, but what about those that are a bit harder to reach? Is it particularly difficult or fiddly, or just time consuming? (Bear in mind that I'm an IT professional - I'm not used to doing fine work with my hands.)

It looks like B&H carries the O ring kits, so that's one concern alleviated, at least.

Thanks for any and all advice - I'm a genuine neophyte (at least for underwater SLR photography - I have a fair amount of knowledge on the surface), but keen to learn.

#2 Tim Digger

Tim Digger

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Hyperbaric Medicine Dive Photography Walking and Climbing

Posted 29 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

Stuart,
Hi be very sure the increase in length with a dioptre lens does not cause it to foul the inside of the port at full zoom. I wrecked a port that way.
regards Tim Digger
Upgraded from D70s to Nikon D300s Dec2010. Lenses Sigma 17-70mm macro (non HSM) and 105mm macro. Tokina 10-17mm
Ikelite housing and DS125 and TTL converted DS50.

#3 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6182 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 03 April 2008 - 07:38 AM

not sure about the dioptres.

but, you can send your housing to your local dealer for servicing i would think

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#4 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:43 AM

Have you spoken to Peter Mooney at scubapix in Cairns?
I know that he stocks Aquatica and his prices are dictated by import duties
and not his hunger. He is a very helpful bloke and an Icon on the international scene... :unsure:
If that sounds as though I'm laying it on a bit thick, give him a call, find out for yourself... B)
HTH,
Bruce...

Edited by bruceterrill, 07 April 2008 - 05:44 AM.