63 replies to this topic

#61 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

Hi Gang,

To bring this back to the top, I see the buydig.com has this lens on sale for $649! That's a lot better than when I got mine. Buyer beware, your mileage may vary, past performance is no guarantee of future results, etc... However, I have used buydig.com and they are fine.

http://www.buydig.co...;sku=TM70200EOS

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#62 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 09:50 AM

Oh and just for you Bruce, you can see my Philippines gallery now:

http://reefpix.smugm...ortfolio/543867

All the macro shots that don't say 100mm or 150mm were taken w/ the Tamron. Like this one:

Posted Image

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#63 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:04 PM

Hi gang,

My review of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 macro lens has been posted on the front page (finally - let me tell you, having a baby seriously cuts into your review-writing time :-)

So - please have a look and tell me your thoughts - would you try one?

Cheers
James
Dual Ikelite Strobes

#64 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 08:00 PM

Hi gang,

My review of the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 macro lens has been posted on the front page (finally - let me tell you, having a baby seriously cuts into your review-writing time :-)

So - please have a look and tell me your thoughts - would you try one?

Cheers
James

Hi James,

Geez, I must have been asleep during September, coz I didn't see your posting about the 'Phillipines Gallery'. . . . -_- :unsure:
Anyway, I am really happy that you have finally got your review up, and I must agree with your thoughts on the subject.....kids DO take up a lot of time. . . . :D
The pics are really great mate, and show what the lens is capable of in the right hands.
I am still really "up in the air" as to which way to go for a lens to use with the 'cropped' sensor?
With the FX that you have, you get to use the full 70-200mm range of the zoom. With the DX sensor, we start at about 105ish mm and lose the use of the 60-100mm range.
I would really like to try a lens like the Sigma 50-150mm, but its magnification is only 1.5 compared to the biggers lense's 1.3.
The Sigma offers HSM with the 50-150mm and I would think that it could be a useful lens, but I'm not sure as to its capabilities as a 'macro' lens in the true sense of the word, and how it would apply to our requirements underwater????. . . . . :nea: :D
Good report James and REALLY good pics. . . . :drink:

Bruce...