4 replies to this topic

#1 Pedda

Pedda

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hi,

I'll get my spare parts soon, so I'm on the way to take my Ike housing apart for service.

I've got some oxide on a couple of the push-buttons and wonder what the best way to remove it is?

I assume that it's not such good idea to put the buttons in the ultrasonic cleaner?

Any suggestions? Vinegar?

What about greasing the small o-rings for the buttons? Do you use the same amount as on the port and housing o-ring?

Regards

Peter
Peter Bergquist www.pedda.com
D200 / Ike housing / Subtronic Gamma

#2 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 05:35 PM

Hi,

I'll get my spare parts soon, so I'm on the way to take my Ike housing apart for service.

I've got some oxide on a couple of the push-buttons and wonder what the best way to remove it is?

I assume that it's not such good idea to put the buttons in the ultrasonic cleaner?

Any suggestions? Vinegar?

What about greasing the small o-rings for the buttons? Do you use the same amount as on the port and housing o-ring?

Regards

Peter

Ultrasonic cleaner will work fine (I'm assuming the shafts are stainless steel). Same grease will work on all o-rings of the same color. If they're all black (Buna) a good quality silicone grease.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#3 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:55 PM

I'll be happy to ear also about maintenance of the Ike housing, the maintenance page from Ikelite site give some information but not answer all questions.
I'm thinking to give my housing for the local diler but not sure if it's not better to do it by mayself.

Edited by Arnon_Ayal, 31 March 2008 - 11:00 PM.

Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#4 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

Ultrasonic will be fine.

If things are really ugly Citric Monohydrate works well though it is a pig to get hold off since the addict community started using it to clean out used needles.

We used to use Citric Monohydrate and warm water in an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning really skanky second stages but you dont want to meke it too strong as it takes the chrome off !

Good stuff.

What does the second stage cleaning community use now ?

Don't use any abrasives - better to leave the oxide deposit than any ridges in the surface that will abrade the O ring.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#5 Pedda

Pedda

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:58 AM

Thanks for your answers.

The only thing is that I'm a little bit afraid that the ultrasonic cleaner will "take away" to much of the material so that the o-ring will seal bad.

Regards

Peter
Peter Bergquist www.pedda.com
D200 / Ike housing / Subtronic Gamma