• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 01:31 PM

Picked up my SPL surf housing in San Diego last weekend and got it wet at Canaveral Sea Shore State Park yesterday morning. The surf was very messy and the fisherman thought I was nuts going in with the undertow and rip currents. I took a nice pounding for about an hour and I'm still washing sand out of my ears.
Beside for the pounding I took, the hardest part was keeping water spots off the dome. My spit is just not great quality I guess.
These are with the dome port and a 16mm
I have not tried the 70-200 port yet, maybe next weekend with some surfers.

Attached Images

• JHCrRiv13008__5954___Version_2.jpg
  • JHCrRiv13008__5791.jpg
  • JHCrRiv13008__5924.jpg
  • JHCrRiv13008__5790.jpg
  • JHCrRiv13008__5922.jpg

Edited by loftus, 05 April 2008 - 01:33 PM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#2 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6180 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 05 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

waves can sure be scary eh? is amazing how strong even small ones are. good effort!

Join us for an Underwater Photography Workshop in Ambon March 2015
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#3 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 08:10 PM

Nice Loftus. So you booking your flight already for Maui for some slightly bigger breaks.... like Jaws? :unsure:

out of curiousity, what controls do you have with that surf housing?

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 04:37 AM

Maui breaks will be photographed with the 70-200, at a distance. I do not plan to graduate past Florida East Coast breaks with the 16mm. A little tip given to me by Sean, the owner of SPL, is to hold your arm fully extended when the wave breaks over you while holding the lanyard. The lanyard length is carefully calculated so that the housing will then not be able to whack you in the head. :unsure:
The housing has Command and Subcommand wheel controls and shutter release only. There is also a shutter release button on the attached handle.
You can see the zoom control lever on the 70-200 port. I think I may see about having my dome port modified for the Tokina 10-17. I think that would be a great lens to use.

Edited by loftus, 06 April 2008 - 04:42 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

My spit is just not great quality I guess.

Nice shots, good job. Strange shooting semi-above water? :unsure:

Also congrats on DEEP, really love that shot...

#6 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

You should have hitched a ride out to Cortes Banks while you were out here; 40 footers!
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.

#7 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 03:08 AM

I will be in San Diego again end of the month; how do I get out there?

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:10 AM

Cortes Banks is off San Clemente. From what I remember while diving out there, there were private charter boats doing tow-in surfing. We were there during crappy surf days and they were 20 ft waves off Bishop. That was apparently a boring day!
On the other hand, earlier this year:
http://www.surfline....m...=13060&ad=1
The Billabong XXL is on tomorrow and Grant Baker and Mike Parsons are both up for biggest wave rides from Cortes ON the same day. If you ever get to Capetown in July, the surf south of Hout Bay is also known to be 40-50ft type.
There's also Shark Park off Santa Barbara which is also epic! Contact Greg Huglin as he organizes photog surf trips. I hope you can drive a jet ski with one hand while shooting with the other! And no, going uw with waves like that is only advisable if you just signed a 100 million dollar life insurance policy to your wife and she really doesn't like you that much.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#9 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:55 PM

Cortes Banks is off San Clemente. From what I remember while diving out there, there were private charter boats doing tow-in surfing. We were there during crappy surf days and they were 20 ft waves off Bishop. That was apparently a boring day!
On the other hand, earlier this year:
http://www.surfline....m...=13060&ad=1
The Billabong XXL is on tomorrow and Grant Baker and Mike Parsons are both up for biggest wave rides from Cortes ON the same day. If you ever get to Capetown in July, the surf south of Hout Bay is also known to be 40-50ft type.
There's also Shark Park off Santa Barbara which is also epic! Contact Greg Huglin as he organizes photog surf trips. I hope you can drive a jet ski with one hand while shooting with the other! And no, going uw with waves like that is only advisable if you just signed a 100 million dollar life insurance policy to your wife and she really doesn't like you that much.

Heh, heh, reading that story, I don't think I'm going to Cortes Banks except in a helicopter. I will probably be back in SA next July -growing up there we did not visit Cape Town much in the winter, just hung out on Clifton Beach and Muizenberg in February. But then I never thought of taking photos of waves then.

#10 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10631 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:17 PM

Heh, heh, reading that story, I don't think I'm going to Cortes Banks except in a helicopter. I will probably be back in SA next July -growing up there we did not visit Cape Town much in the winter, just hung out on Clifton Beach and Muizenberg in February. But then I never thought of taking photos of waves then.

The spot is called the Dungeon. Bring your 600mm + 2x :D It's not a inwater spot either.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#11 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9969 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 12:58 PM

Looks like fun Jeff - I'd love to give that a try. I grew up swimming in the waves in San Diego (shell beach in La Jolla - way cool) but wasn't a photographer then.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#12 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1313 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:49 PM

You Cali boys have got heaps of big wave options though maybe not for in water shots but on the back of a ski maybe:

Mavericks
Todos
Ghost Trees (Careful of the kelp!)
Cortez

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#13 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 31 May 2008 - 07:18 AM

Yeah but those Cali boys don't have consistent daily barrels like Indo has!
Hey Drew, so what's the diving like at Cortez Banks?

Edited by Graham Abbott, 31 May 2008 - 07:24 AM.

#14 ScottS101

ScottS101

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 02:30 AM

Yeah but those Cali boys don't have consistent daily barrels like Indo has!
Hey Drew, so what's the diving like at Cortez Banks?

Graham, Diving is excellent at Cortes when the weather permits. It is a legendary lobster hunting spot. I have not dove there in years but it's a great spot. Very clear water, many pinnacles and boilers. I hope to see it again some day.

#15 Hani Amir

Hani Amir

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Cinematography, Music, Bass Guitar and most of all stuff to do with the Ocean.

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Haha sounds like you had fun man. Looking forward to more shots :)