Thailand Photos

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 ce4jesus

ce4jesus

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1639 posts
  • Interests:Anything Ocean (How'd I end up in Colorado?)<br /><br />A Christian Marine Conservationist?

Posted 10 April 2008 - 08:51 AM

Great pictures as always. A thought provoking post. I too can see some definite advantages of the boat sitting in one spot for the day, a great opportunity, especially for photographers. Thanks for posting!

obviously the best part is the cleaner wrasse thinks you're there for your debugging experience :D
Gary
Olympus E-520, TLC arms, Inon Z-240s, 50mm, 14-42mm woody's diopter

#22 Stephen Colquitt

Stephen Colquitt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

Awesome.

Glad your camera didnt flood though!

#23 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:28 AM

Great images Alex!!

My favorite is the cleaner wrasse inside the gills of the puffer , very powerful !!

Don't know if you mind to give an advance about the remote flash prior to your article , but since a need to make a buying decision very soon maybe you can help me .

I had used the Ikelite remote sensor years ago for cave photography but they are ( or were ) sooo unreliable that i quit using them . Now we have a new project here and i'm considering to buy the HeinrichsWeikamp Remote Slave Unit .

Which ones are you using and how they worked ?

Sorry if maybe this is a little off-topic .

Regards

Jose Alejandro

#24 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:07 AM

Hj Jose,

I am using neither - just the strobes own sensor. But I would love to try the Heinrichs one and tell everyone about it. If they sent me one I could let you know how good it is - it sounds ideal. Does anyone know them?

I am still feeling my way on this technique, but I am beginning to find shots that work. I probably need one more trip playing with it before I am going to write about it.

Here is a previous effort from Cayman, which I like.
Posted Image

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#25 elbuzo

elbuzo

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Photography + cave diving

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:18 AM

Thanks Alex

Hopefully someone post a comment about the performance of the HeinrichsWeikamp Remote Slave Unit.

As showed in your picture , the off camera strobes add very dramatic effects on caves . In big caves is great but very complicated since ( usually ) more than one strobe is needed.

JA

#26 Motek

Motek

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Photography & BeeR

Posted 12 April 2008 - 04:48 AM

Superb shots
Nikon D7000 Aquatica Housing Ds 125 Strobes, Ultralight arms, Lenses: 10.5 , 60, 17-70, 105 VR, subsee +10 Sola 1200
www.mark-fuller.com

#27 ScubaSpen

ScubaSpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:spending more than 500 hrs a year underwater gawking at marine life and taking the odd picture.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 05:50 AM

Alex

Awesome shots, I really like the double exposure shot, it's great you can see through the fin. Was great to meet you and hope you enjoyed the rest of the beers.

Just got back from Similans again and I see the rest of the gang are back on East of Eden. Still no sign of the spotty fish though.

Spen

Edited by ScubaSpen, 12 April 2008 - 03:11 PM.

#28 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8376 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:57 AM

Hey Spencer,

Great to meet you in Thailand. Thanks for the beers. They got mopped up pretty fast actually! Sorry I was so tired on the evening you came aboard - although you did get to chat to Mr Scoones after I went to bed.

I am glad to hear that the rest of the group our back on site again. I hope that they get some whalesharks. Peter saw one - but it was so small it was more of a stickleback-shark.

I am most envious that you get to see those sites every week.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#29 ScubaSpen

ScubaSpen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:spending more than 500 hrs a year underwater gawking at marine life and taking the odd picture.

Posted 12 April 2008 - 03:11 PM

I wasnt expecting any spotty fish at Richelieu so I put my 60mm lens on and I found these two.

What a pro, he even manages to sling the subal on the side. I watched him as hey lay the video on the sand and then started to shoot with the camera.

I was very jealous that you get to do so many back to back dives on the same place.

Spen

Attached Images

• Ornate_ghost_pipefish.jpg
  • Peter_Scoones_800x536.jpg

Edited by ScubaSpen, 12 April 2008 - 03:17 PM.

#30 Strmko

Strmko

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:09 PM

Some very nice photographs, Alex. I can imagine how long you were waiting and talking to the subject to make it pose for you :rolleyes:
This back and off lighting is interesting idea. I tried it already in the pool and will continue in sea on my next trip in Egypt.

Martin