• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 06:56 AM

I would like to do some good macro photography in Bali. Can you advise on the best places. As I will be going with non-divers, it cannot be live aboard. Expect to stay about a week and do about 20 dives

#2 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 13 May 2003 - 07:26 AM

When are you going?

I am there from 16-19 May and 30 May - 4 June. Staying at the All inc. Melia Benoa and Melia Bali hotels.

#3 RichardG

RichardG

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 08:01 AM

I don't know what the conditions will be like when you go but we were in Bali in October and had a wonderful time. We stayed at Padang Bai on the south coast and at Tulamben in the east.

For macro photography I would recommend Tulamben - the wreck of the Liberty is covered in life and the patch reef in front of the beach is excellent for macro subjects. The dives we did out of Padang Bai (with the exception of Blue Lagoon) were colder and had more current and were better for pelagic species - sharks, Mola Mola etc. I believe a lot of people recommend Secret Bay near Gilimanuk in the west for muck diving.

The only problem with Tulamben and Secret Bay is that they are quite a long drive from the hotels you mention.

We arranged our diving and accomodation through www.gekodive.com who were very helpful, we were also impressed with the replies we got from www.aquamarinediving.com although we didn't dive with them.

#4 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 May 2003 - 05:52 PM

Thanks.

I plan early september. Most of my dives will be muck dives, maybe with a few wide angle in the colder waters. sounds like Secret Bay and Tulamben are the right places then.

#5 Cybergoldfish

Cybergoldfish

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1954 posts
  • Interests:Don't include plankton

Posted 17 May 2003 - 06:39 PM

I'm in Bali now and have booked the wreck diving with Mola Mola - So I will do this after I come back from Komodo etc. Hope the Viz is good! :lol:

$50.00 for two dives & lunch on boat - Reasonable I thought.