6 replies to this topic

#1 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 12:33 AM

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my DSLR rig from Ikelite to Aquaitca. To minimise the impact on my wallet, I opted to keep my DS-125s, Ikelite arms (9+6") and clamps.

Aquatica have a ball post that bolts to the handles to match Ikelite balls and clamps (ie. solid 1" ball, no oring).

The Ikelite clamps don't seem to grip to the ball anywhere near as good as to the original Ikelite ball posts on my other housing. This is so much so that I need to seriously screw the clamps down when in WA mode as the weight of the DS125 on the end of the arms causes the ball and clamp to slip.

To me, the nice finish on the Aquatica balls seems to be a lot more slippery than that on the Ikelite.

Is anyone have similar issues?
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.
http://damiensiviero.com

#2 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 03:51 AM

Just a thought is the Aquaitca 1" or 25.0mm ?

I am pretty sure the Ike is 1" (25.4mm) the 0.4mm diameter 'reduction' could tend to give you the problem or at best not help things along!

Metric/Imperial conversions and compatability at play ?

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#3 sbillings

sbillings

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

Hi PRC,

I have encountered the same problem. Ike clamps don't work well with TLC arms. Get the TLC clamps, at least for the base and arm joint. I still use the Ike clamp for the top connection to the strobe ball, because there is less force there. TLC clamps will work well with the Ike or TLC arms.

Steve B

Hi,

I've recently upgraded my DSLR rig from Ikelite to Aquaitca. To minimise the impact on my wallet, I opted to keep my DS-125s, Ikelite arms (9+6") and clamps.

Aquatica have a ball post that bolts to the handles to match Ikelite balls and clamps (ie. solid 1" ball, no oring).

The Ikelite clamps don't seem to grip to the ball anywhere near as good as to the original Ikelite ball posts on my other housing. This is so much so that I need to seriously screw the clamps down when in WA mode as the weight of the DS125 on the end of the arms causes the ball and clamp to slip.

To me, the nice finish on the Aquatica balls seems to be a lot more slippery than that on the Ikelite.

Is anyone have similar issues?

#4 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 12:31 AM

Thanks for the comments. My gut feel is that the Aquatica balls are slightly smaller than the Ike ones, but I've nothing to measure it with. If anything, it is 1mm or so.

It sounds like I'm up for two new clamps.

thanks, damien
Damien Siviero
Canon 5DmkIII + 7D. Aquatica Housing. Ikelite + Inon Strobes. Canon + Tokina Glass.

#5 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:51 AM

Depending on the cost you might want to try getting a machine shop to cut you an O-Ring groove in the Aquatica ball - they would also confirm any size variation - if it is as much as 1mm then you are truly stuffed.

It all depends on the value to you of the bits that you are left with after buying new parts - if you are just going to bin them and you know someone with a lathe who could cut them for the price of a beer then it may be worth a punt.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#6 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 03:58 AM

Peter Mooney at Scubapix has been kind enough to send me both a set of TLC and ULCS clamps to try out.

For the cost of 2 new clamps, I think that it is the best approach. It'll be good to to have a spare clamp or two just in case.

thanks, damien
Damien Siviero

#7 betti154

betti154

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 01:12 AM

I just thought I'd complete this thread and say that the TLC clamps have fixed the problem. They're sturdy as the Ike clamps, but grip very well in this scenario.
Damien Siviero