• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Benthic7

Benthic7

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2008 - 02:06 PM

I just registered to this site earlier today, so I thought I would introduce myself. My wife and I have been divers for almost 20 years and our vacations predominantly consist of liveaboard dive trips. This past December we spent a week in the Socorros on the Solmar V (third time on that ship) and the trip prior was to the Galapagos on the Dancer boat. I've been into UW photography for about 10 years using Nikonos cameras.

I finally decided to switch over to digital and recently bought a Nikon 300. I'm in the market for a housing and posted in the Beginers Forum here requesting opinions from you all regarding the pros and cons of Subal/Sea&Sea/Aquatica products. We have a trip to Fiji/Solomon Islands this coming December so I'm spending the time (and money!!!) between now and then getting up to speed on everything. Its a fair amount to absorb but I'm enjoying the process.

In order to afford this increasingly expensive hobby, I work as a scientist for a large engineering firm here in Tampa.

I look forward to be an active member on this site.

Tom

#2 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 11 April 2008 - 04:04 PM

Welcome to Wetpixel Benthic7!!

How has your experience been diving the Socorros? I have been told that the shark count has been down in recent years (probably due to the lax Mexican restrictions on long-lining). What have you observed?

AMW

Edited by AMW, 11 April 2008 - 04:04 PM.

#3 seagrant

seagrant

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:http://www.oceangrant.com

Posted 11 April 2008 - 05:03 PM

Tom,

If you ever come down to the beach I can show you my Subal d200 setup (yea and I want a d300 baaaad...!)

I really like the Subal - but the Sea and Sea for d300 sounds real good too and is cheaper. It is kinda like which camera --- Nikon vs Canon - decide which model you like and which has the best ergonomics and features you want and get the housing you will want to stay with, as you will keep the ports, etc. for a long time - (of course you can always change housing manufacturers by selling the whole system which works for some....).

Best, Carol

http://www.oceangrant.com
Facebook-Oceangrant

Twitter-Oceangrant

d300/Subal/ULCS/Sea & Sea 110s/16;12-24;60;105vr;Tokina 10-17

#4 Benthic7

Benthic7

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:50 AM

Welcome to Wetpixel Benthic7!!

How has your experience been diving the Socorros? I have been told that the shark count has been down in recent years (probably due to the lax Mexican restrictions on long-lining). What have you observed?

AMW

I would say we saw more sharks this past December than on previous trips. We came across several schools of hammerheads and, on occasion, Galapagos sharks. We also saw whitetips resting on ledges at San Benedicto. We didn't have many up close encounters with mantas (the last trip we were surrounded with them on several dives) but we did have pods of dolphins with us on many dives. At Isla Socorro, we had a pod with us most on a late afternoon dive and then when we got back in the panga - they put on a show for us - jumping out of the water doing flips and riding the bow wave. The Solmar crew said that close encounters with dolphins are now the norm rather than the exception.