• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 07:19 PM

What I thought was an April's Fool joke by SIA turns out to be a nightmare. While they did not enforce it in Singapore, LAX is apparently now enforcing this new rule. It'll be interesting to see when I put it to the test next month.

http://www.singapore...e_allowance.jsp

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:27 PM

Ouch! I'll be flying on Singapore Airlines in September.

I must get out my calculator and conversion charts. When I see the weight limit in kg, it sounds like such a low limit. Duh! Then I have to remember that they are using the metric system. :blink:

Now I gotta figure how I can get all my stuff from SFO to Singapore, then on to Bali while staying under the limit. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#3 AMW

AMW

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:Boxing, English Premier League, SCUBA, aqua-culturing SPS and LPS, yoga

Posted 13 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

Argh...
OK, although I can't say I am happy about this, it is better to know now then when I get to LAX in June on my way to Indonesia via Singapore Airlines.
Thanks for the heads-up Drew...

#4 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:12 AM

Though it would be prefereable to hear from someone who has actually flown Singapore Airlines since the policy change, I can at least report what SQ is saying on the phone and through some of their agents. I'm part of a group traveling to Indonesia in early May. Many of us are going from various places in the U.S. I am on the flight from EWR-SIN, others are going through LA. Basically, the story I got from from SQ's reservations representatives is this:

1. It is possible to get the allowance that was in place when I bought the ticket (back in November -- two 70 lb bags). However, that is up to the check-in agents and solely at their discretion.
2. Assuming that I am forced to fall within the new limits:
a. Standard allowance is 2 50lb bags.
b. They will accept bags of 50-70 pounds -- overweight charge is $109 per bag.
c. If I have a third bag up to 50lb, the charge for that is $109 (especially, for some reason, if I tell them it is my SCUBA equipment).

Others in our group have been told similar things, though they've been told that the charge I was given for the extra bag is for LAX-SIN and it is actually something like $117 from EWR. Right now I'm thinking of just taking three smaller bags, rather than two large ones.

Anyway, at least it is possible to get information out of them finally. Would be curious to hear any first hand reports from people who have flown since the change. In any event, I will be one of them relatively soon and will report back . . .

Mike

Edited by MikeO, 14 April 2008 - 05:12 AM.

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#5 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:24 AM

I emailed Singapore Airlines here in Vancouver, and got a reply stating that I would be allowed to take two bags not exceeding 32 kg each. I have printed it in the event I get a nasty check in clerk, like I did in Australia last year, that thought the domestic baggage allowance for Air Canada was the same as trans-Pacific. When I queried why there would be a difference on each leg of a round trip ticket (I still had my baggage tags with the weight on them), he asked for a print out of the Air Canada web site baggage policy, as if that is something one should do. I luckily printed out the old policy on Singapore's site when I was ticketed for my trip, last November.
Unless other airlines follow suit, I will be looking at other options in airlines. Singapore Airlines is not what it used to be and always charges hundreds of dollars more than its competitors.

Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#6 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:34 AM

I got a reply from SIA. They told me they are entitled to administer their weight policies irregardless of star alliance standards.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#7 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for the great info everyone. Don't forget, there's a 7kg (15lb) limit on your ONE carry-on as well according to their website. I'm heading out from LAX with them in Oct.. so any updates/reports on enforcement are greatly appreciated!

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!
"Hey Dean! How do you work this crazy thing?!" Jerry Lewis

#8 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3057 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 21 April 2008 - 11:28 AM

So Phil,

What are you planning to do? Your rig weighs about 22 lbs without a focus light. Really curious since I have the same problem.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#9 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 02:25 PM

Hi Steve,

Clearly I'm concerned, but I think I'll be OK. All my usual scuba gear in it's rolling duffel tops out at about 50 lbs. The new camera gear weighs in at closer to 30 lbs I think, so it'll go in its own carry-on size rolling bag (a padded Tamrac) which I may have to check - this will have the housing, strobes, ports (trying to devise some more protection for the dome), arms, etc. and other hardier "bits and bobs" (as the Dr. would say). This bag will go onboard with me if I happen to be on a US carrier without these onerous restrictions ie. to Truk on Continental in a few weeks. Then the camera body, lenses, laptop and other delicates will go in my camera backpack as my official carry-on personal item. Even though this will probably be more than the 15lbs, it's discreet, which I think from studying the other packing threads (thank you, Wetpixel!) is really the key.

Now that I'm looking at this, that doesn't leave a lot of room for clothes! :)

As Marli says, it has me re-thinking prefered airlines. BTW, look forward to meeting you in Bonaire :)

Phil Sokol
Canon 5D3 and 7D, Nauticam and Subal, an assortment of strobes and too many damn lenses!

#10 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3057 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:52 PM

Now that I'm looking at this, that doesn't leave a lot of room for clothes! :)

As Marli says, it has me re-thinking prefered airlines. BTW, look forward to meeting you in Bonaire :)

Phil,

Who needs clothes? On one of my first trips to Cayman years ago, our luggage didn't make it. I had my mask, reg and camera. The shop (The Sunset House) gave us a tee shirt and we walked into Georgetown and bought a swim suit. We were good for the week, or at least until our gear showed up 4 days later. Taught me alot about what I really needed to pack, I do hate to see my gear not show up though. I'm going to try the housing, strobes and ports in a roll on storm case(carry on legal). The body, lenses, focus light, dome port and laptop fit in a backpack. We'll see, I'll probably have to buy some tee-shirts :)

I've got the first round in Bonaire!

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#11 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 08:55 AM

Well I've got everyone of my Solitaire PPS member friends to write in to complain about it. Flying this route at least 6 times a year, it's a pain to limit bag weights like that. I don't want to carry 4 bags 50lbs when I can have 3 70lbs bags which lowers bulk.

Drew

#12 ronscuba

ronscuba

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 11:49 AM

It looks like the rules are not enforced in regularity. Just got back from Indonesia. Flew Newark to Singapore. From Newark, my carryon bag was both weighed and put into the sizing cage. It failed both tests and I had to check it. My bags were apprx 50 and 75 pounds. I did not pay any penalties.

On the way back I just checked the carryon directly. Distributing the weight more evenly, the bags were apprx 60 and 65 pounds. I didn't pay anything.

Speaking with my travel mates from the trip, no payed penalties or had their carryon weighed.

#13 hoovermd

hoovermd

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:27 AM

Just returned from a trip LAX->SIN->DPS

2 persons, Economy class
4 checked, 2 carry-on bags

Each checked bag 50lbs (one was 70 on the return)
Carry ons were 12-30 lbs each (small backpacks)

Here is what I found:

No carry-on weighing at LAX
No individual bag weighing outbound from Bali

Only slight queries form Balinese Customs about the cameras.
I only had 2 bodies total but several lenses.
---------------
Mark

#14 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 08 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

Just flew from LAX-SIN via SQ37.
4 bags= 55, 72, 67,43 lbs ( I wanted to test to overweight luggage thing too) They let me check in without problems using my UA StarAlliance Gold (I didn't use my SIA PPS status as they never bug me then).
On top of that I had 40+lbs backpack and 15lbs medium camera bag (7 million dollar Crumpler), plus 1 hardcover coffee table book and they didn't weigh anything.
So it seems the policy isn't being enforced regularly but YMMV. Just beware that the rules have changed as stated on their website, call center (that disaster zone!) and emails.
The good news for LAX is that they've stabilized the check-in procedure for about 10mths now and not changing the order of check in from 04-07.

Drew

#15 scubamarli

scubamarli

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1181 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

Happy to report, no issues with bags, enroute from Vancouver to Singapore, although I did ask them to put a notice on my file regarding the original allowance when I booked the flight. The check in person had me put both monstrous bags on the scale at the same time, and then forgot to weigh them. Her supervisor told her, oh well, say they are both the same weight. :D
As for the carry on, the one bag new 7 kilo thing had me leave my 10-20mm behind. Now, I'm wishing I'd taken the chance. Oh well. 15mm FE it is.
I did however have a roll on and Tenba photo laptop bag, and no problem. Hopefully the rest of the flights will be as stressless.
Cheers,
Marli
Marli Wakeling

www.marliwakeling.com
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together. ~Carl Zwanzig

#16 philsokol

philsokol

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:11 AM

I'm heading to Manado in a few weeks and I'm concerned about the carry-on situation as the Singapore Air website says "one piece". Is that really just ONE piece or can you get away with a carry on plus a "personal item"? With all my camera gear, my rolling carry on weighs in at 30+ lbs, plus the actual camera and lenses are in my backpack. Anybody been on The LAX-SIN flight recently who can report on how they are enforcing cabin baggage?

Thanks!

Phil

Phil Sokol

#17 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10645 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 11:53 AM

Phil
I flew SQ 37/38 in Aug and had no probs with hand luggage (36lbs backpack and 17lbs 2nd bag). This was the all J class flight. I am also PPS so there's no hassle. YMMV as the ground staff tend to be inconsistent.

Drew

#18 eyu

eyu

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 05:00 AM

Flying JFK to SIN on Singapore Air in two weeks in economy class and was wondering if I should try two carry on bags, one back pack with camera, lens and laptop and one legal size carry on with Subal housing, ports and strobes. Both are 35+ lbs each. I am not a PPS, but I am a US Air StarAlliance Silver.

Is Singapore Air enforcing the one carry on rule?? If I am charged for the extra bag and/or weight, what are the charges??

thanks,
Elmer

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#19 ReefRoamer

ReefRoamer

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

I just returned from flying SQ from LAX to Bali, via SIN. I checked two bags, each under 50lbs. I carried aboard a backpack (with camera bodies and lenses) and a briefcase (with computer), without difficulty. This combination also worked from Austin to LAX on American Airlines. I checked the bags in Austin through to Denpasar, but AA weighed them at the counter in Austin. I was in first class on a frequent flyer ticket, so there was no penalty for a second checked bag.
In the past, I had always checked two 70-pound bags on Asia trips and the US carriers permitted this without penalty since I was connecting to the international carrier that permitted two 70-pound items. Most international carriers now permit two 50-pound bags, rather than the 70lbs. SIN is consistent with the rest.
This time, I had to ditch my 30-pound Storm case (for photo gear). Instead, I checked the unbreakable UW photo gear in smaller, semi-rigid bag, and carried on cameras and lenses. Also had to ditch a lot of redundant photo and dive gear I had previously carried for backup. This was how I got rid of 40 pounds.
Remember that you may always catch a break from an airline counter employee, but you can't count on it ... especially if you are dealing with multiple airlines. Otherwise, just be prepared to pay the extra charges for extra pieces or weight, and hope for some good luck!
Canon 20D, Subal C20 housing, Canon EF 100mm USM macro, EF-S 10-22mm, Inon Z220s.

#20 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 29 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

we flew with them again in may this year from the UK as we have flown with them before and know that their standards are better than most. we had heard about this new weight limit ( from the UK only not from the U.S. ) when i questioned the person on the phone at SA i was very politely told that any excess of 20kg hold 5 kg hand luggage would need to be paid for at a cost of 58 GBP yes 58 GBP per kilo over, and that was both ways. well we packed and weighed, took things out, and weighed. had to take more out and weighed. we all know how heavy are camera rigs are and we were not even getting close. so i emailed SA to see if there were any concessions for sporting good to which i was told, yes 1 golf bag. i had had this from other airlines on other routes and cannot understand why golfers are ok but divers are not. well i ended up wearing most of my camera gear in a photographers jacket. my wifes very over sized hand bag had my strobes, arms and clamps in. i think we ended up being 1 kilo over the limit and not getting charged.
i would not fly with them again though because of this. i do not mind having to pay a surcharge for taking excess luggage, and if it is possible to pre pay i usually do. what i dont find amusing is the 58 per kilo, especially when i had lost a few kilos in body fat over the previous 12 months.
there was a posting on here somewhere that Saaed Rashid ( sorry if its wrong spelling ) put a link that gave all of the weight limits for all of the different airlines.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com