* STILL MODE
* COMPATIBLE WITH MANY RED ONE ACCESSORIES

http://www.red.com/nab/scarlet

And What about Epic!!!

http://www.red.com/nab/epic

Looks nice!

Exciting times indeed.
Jon

Edited by Drew, 29 September 2008 - 12:36 PM.

www.ginclearfilm.com
www.facebook.com/ginclearfilm
GATES DEEP EPIC Based in Sydney

#2 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:50 PM

It's sweet to think about... until you have to d/l and edit it. The other week, a buddy called me to consult on an edit and his capture workflow to Avid was pretty amazingly complicated. Redline to QT then metacheater for ALE then both to Avid... and that's just for rushes and editing. Going to a Da vinci at 2k is murder!
I'm afraid Red is still a beta camera with a beta codec, it's not ready for mainstream just yet. I hope the 3k RedRaw fares better than the 4K now. But that's a year away. Never know someone might make advances in codec to have an actual workflow.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#3 wagsy

wagsy

Blue Whale

• Senior Moderator
  • 3845 posts
  • Interests:Sewing and Knitting......no diving of course :-)

Posted 15 April 2008 - 06:13 AM

The way digital SLR's are going one will be able to use them for video soon. :rolleyes:
Watched a D300 in action the other day taking time lapse.
Just need to wait till the memory cards get into the 100's of gigs and away you go. :blink:

I think there will be quite a few Reds on the second hand market once those that brought them realize they cannot pay for them by renting them out etc.

Watch out for SONY's new one....
Amphibico Phenom & EVO PRO & Navigator 900
Share Your Underwater Videos www.hdvunderwater.com | www.flykam.com.au | www.reeftorainforest.com.au

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:36 AM

Well Scarlett is supposed to be 3k so we'll see how that unfolds.
The Red 2nd market will come from Red themselves since all those who have Red Ones will want to trade in for Red Epic when it comes out next year. You get full $17500 rebate on that. But apparently the Epic will go for $30k so it's really an upgrade. That alone is devised to hold the value of the camera. Feels almost like a pyramid scheme. Perhaps finally they'll get the codec out of beta by then.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 12:48 PM

It's funny though I always thought that the business model behind RED ONE was that it was modular and upgradeable. There was no need to but an additional camera.
Already there is an upgrade which is double the cost.
I'm sure that the workflows / codec issues will be sorted by 2009 but it is a bummer is you received you cam 6 months ago. I bet you wish they had spent the energy sorting out all issues with ONE before designing EPIC and the 'young SCARLET'

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com

#6 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:24 PM

Newbie question (too lazy to look for the answer): With all this talk of 2k, 3k, 4k... how many k is HD?

#7 reefnet

reefnet

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:07 AM

2k, 3k, and 4k refer to the horizontal resolution in pixels, in multiples of 1024. So 4k is 4096 pixels wide. The height is determined by the aspect ratio...so 4k 16:9 is 4096 x 2304. You can also have 4k in 2.35:1 AR, or even 1:1.

So you might say 1080p HD is "1.875k/16:9". Or just remember that it's 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Kris
ReefNet Inc. | www.reefnet.ca | 888-819-REEF or 905-608-9373

#8 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

It's funny though I always thought that the business model behind RED ONE was that it was modular and upgradeable. There was no need to but an additional camera.
Already there is an upgrade which is double the cost.
I'm sure that the workflows / codec issues will be sorted by 2009 but it is a bummer is you received you cam 6 months ago. I bet you wish they had spent the energy sorting out all issues with ONE before designing EPIC and the 'young SCARLET'

Before this goes into a rip Red thread, I should add that the 30k price tag is a guess. Just like Scarlet's 5k price tag. Nobody knows until they develop the thing. And to get a rebate of the full price of the previous model is unheard of in the industry. The problem with trying to revolutionize the industry with a new product using the similar technology, you run into developmental issues. Early on, I went to a shoot where the Reds crashed constantly. 6 months later, it's stabilized a bit but still no real workflow. The camera had great marketing that's for sure. I mean 4k is really 2.5-3k in real resolution because of the bayer filter but so I expect to fulfill their claim of real 4k they are pushing for 5k, which should net 3.5k resolution. Still for the price, the RedRaw at 3k 'real' resolution still is a great bargain and enough to make filmmakers scream like little kids.

So you might say 1080p HD is "1.875k/16:9". Or just remember that it's 1920 x 1080 pixels.

Or you could just call it 1080p/i. :rolleyes:

Drew

#9 reefnet

reefnet

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 09:48 AM

Or you could just call it 1080p/i. :rolleyes:

Considering Epic, One and Scarlet, I prefer to call 1080p/i "yesterday's news". :blink:

Kris
ReefNet Inc. | www.reefnet.ca | 888-819-REEF or 905-608-9373

#10 Nick Hope

Nick Hope

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1984 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:00 PM

Oh right, is that all that k means. I assumed it referred to a bitrate which is why I was too lazy to get my head around it because bitrates means maths.

In that case I wish RED would just concentrate on squeezing 1.92k (HD) into the smallest package possible.

#11 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

Drew,
I also believe what RED is doing is great, cutting edge and a very ballsy business model. I am just surprised that they haven't been concentrating on RED ONE and upgrades to do with that.
If it wasn't for the likes of guys at RED then I am positive the technology would not move as fast from the other major players.

Jon

www.ginclearfilm.com

#12 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 21 April 2008 - 03:28 PM

I'm headed to the Red factory on May 1st for a hands on training. Should have lots of info to pass on. Still very jetlagged from diving trip to Taskia Ria, KBR and Kasawari. Nus says hello to all who know him.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas
steve-sharksdelight@cox.net

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#13 pmooney

pmooney

Orca

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1230 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:05 PM

I'm headed to the Red factory on May 1st for a hands on training. Should have lots of info to pass on. Still very jetlagged from diving trip to Taskia Ria, KBR and Kasawari. Nus says hello to all who know him.
Steve B)

Hey Steve , What are you training on ?

#14 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts
  • Interests:filming/editing/exotic travel. l write reviews of editing software, books, tutorials and Mac based NLE related products for the www.kenstone.net and www.lafcpug.org sites as well as articles for Asian Diver Magazine and wetpixel. I am one of the founding members of the San Diego UnderSea Film Festival

Posted 21 April 2008 - 04:16 PM

They are supplying the Reds to practice on...in fact, they specifically said not to bring our own Reds or materials.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

I have worked as an unpaid reviewer for the editing websites since 2002. Most all hardware and software is sent to me free of charge, however, in no way am I obligated to provide either positive or negative evaluations. Any suggestions I make regarding products are a result of my own, completely, personal opinions and experiences with said products.

#15 jonny shaw

jonny shaw

Orca

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1315 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 08:31 PM

Very cool Steve!!!!

Have fun.

J

www.ginclearfilm.com

#16 Empty V

Empty V

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:15 PM

It's sweet to think about... until you have to d/l and edit it. The other week, a buddy called me to consult on an edit and his capture workflow to Avid was pretty amazingly complicated. Redline to QT then metacheater for ALE then both to Avid... and that's just for rushes and editing. Going to a Da vinci at 2k is murder!
I'm afraid Red is still a beta camera with a beta codec, it's not ready for mainstream just yet. I hope the 3k RedRaw fares better than the 4K now. But that's a year away. Never know someone might make advances in codec to have an actual workflow.

Let's just say I've had "issues" even with FCP. This was in no way ready to go to market. At least by keeping the camera a secret they kept it's workflow issues a secret as well. Check out the Dead Red thread on the Reduser forum.

Billy

Edited by Empty V, 22 April 2008 - 04:15 PM.

#17 Neptune7

Neptune7

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:04 AM

Let's just say I've had "issues" even with FCP. This was in no way ready to go to market. At least by keeping the camera a secret they kept it's workflow issues a secret as well. Check out the Dead Red thread on the Reduser forum.

Billy

Could you give us the thread?

Neptune7

#18 CamDiver

CamDiver

Great White

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1103 posts
  • Interests:Filming and documentary production. Beach and surf photography. Family time, isolated beaches and walking the dog.

Posted 29 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

Will be shooting RED out here on Tiger Sharks in a couple of weeks. Will let you know how that goes.

Cheers,
Mark.

The Sharks of the Forgotten Islands

- A Natural History Documentary -

#19 Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2842 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 08:34 AM

Was at the Red day seminar at the factory yesterday and the footage shot with the Red 1 is amazing. This cams got a lot going for it. The post production end of it is complex enough to need a training and yet it is like learning any new interface. It will take some time and practice with it as well as a very kick ass, high powered, rip roaring computer to use the Redcine software. Glad I went though as it gave me a real insight into what I will need to learn.
Steve B)

www.kenstone.net
www.lafcpug.org

Steve Douglas

#20 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 22 September 2008 - 02:18 AM

Just got an email letting me know that Scarlett specs have changed. Most probably because of what is coming next from the big Japanese makers.
http://www.scarletus...ead.php?p=21391
Ah shifting targets. :)

Drew