48 replies to this topic

#1 Brumpy

Brumpy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 04:46 AM

I have made a nice trip report from my bahama trip, you can watch it on Youtube

Edited by Drew, 25 November 2010 - 12:41 PM.

GATES EX1 housing

Sony Z1
LMI Bluefin HD housing
Vanherck Underwater Imaging

#2 wchen

wchen

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:10 AM

This is a must see video. It's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
  • Interests:World travel
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 25 May 2008 - 08:35 AM

pretty silly bearing in mind the recent event out there.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

http://www.euphoticzoneimaging.com

#4 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:medical doctor and wanabe photographer

Posted 25 May 2008 - 12:01 PM

Thats a 10+ I :lol: loved it, regardless of recent events

Edited by mrbubbles, 25 May 2008 - 12:02 PM.

#5 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 25 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

Seems like pretty irresponsible and unnecessary behavior to me ... particularly from the guy who threw the stick at the tiger shark.
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#6 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:24 AM

Seems like pretty irresponsible and unnecessary behavior to me ... particularly from the guy who threw the stick at the tiger shark.

i am very glad i was not in the water with these idiots. i would deffinatley of had more than a few words to say to them. it is behaviour like this that could turn an animal into thinking that humans are a threat to them, they could disappear or even attack.

Canon 5D MK2 - Sea and Sea housed - 17-40L 100mm - Sigma 15mm FE - twin YS250 pro's and gadgets galore

#7 red3

red3

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 04:41 PM

I've never been so offeneded in my life.........All those involved shold be ashamed...It just shows that human stupididty is endless

#8 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:01 AM

Well, I thought it was hilarious. Some of the behavior makes light of the potential danger that comes with being in the water with large sharks, but I'm glad that they were having so much fun!

Also, I had never seen video footage from the Dolphin Dream. The shark diving doesn't seem very well regulated. I'm sure the boat will start tightening things up over time as they realize what they are doing.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#9 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 30 May 2008 - 01:52 AM

Well, I thought it was hilarious. Some of the behavior makes light of the potential danger that comes with being in the water with large sharks, but I'm glad that they were having so much fun!

Also, I had never seen video footage from the Dolphin Dream. The shark diving doesn't seem very well regulated. I'm sure the boat will start tightening things up over time as they realize what they are doing.

Are you serious? Would you not describe it as harassment ? I certainly would. Mind you, I feel the way you probably get some of your shots would probably fall into a similar catagory. I am sorry if you feel that this a personal attack, but to condone what they did, in your postion, I feel is wrong.

Imagine the scene, man throws pole at tiger shark, hits tiger shark in the eye, tiger shark reacts and attacks innocent diver who was there to respect the sharks and photograph them. Another statistic for the Bahamas within a few weeks, NEWS HEADLINES : shark diving banned in the Bahamas.

going slightly off topic Eric, what are your views regarding the recent posting regarding DD shots. Have you ever moved a nudibranch to get a better shot? I and I am pretty sure a lot of other members would like to know. I cant recall seeing you comment on the DD posting, I could be wrong though

#10 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 02:30 AM

The shark that the pole is thrown at is not a tiger shark but a lemon shark. Not that that makes a different for your point, but just saying. The lemon sharks are not at all interested in anything happing underwater on those trips. Even the tigers would probably not have reacted.

I think that the whole scene looks chaotic. Having just come back from a similar trip on a different boat I cant imagine them letting any of us behave like that. We'd be banned to the surface immediately. It seems a little irresponsible to let divers be so careless but i suppose every boat has their own rules.

I dont really get the endless karatechopping..but i guess you had to be there :D
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#11 jeremypayne

jeremypayne

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1199 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 04:49 AM

I'm just sayin' ... who throws a javelin at a shark? Tiger, lemon, nurse, whatever ... right?

I appreciate the "enthusiasm" ... seems a little "german" for my taste, but I appreciate "good times" ...

I've never been on a shark dive but one of my young lieutenants did go to the Bahamas himself and he was really surprised that the operators let them go so crazy with the sharks in the water. He was in the water with another shark operator on the day that guy got bit and later died.

But you guys have been in the water with sharks a bunch and no doubt have a better sense of what's safe and what's not.

My reaction when I saw the footage was two-fold ...

>>>> Seemed dangerous to be so spastic and un-focused on the task at hand ... Maybe I'm just still reeling from seeing Jaws at 8 years old in the movie theater. :D

>>>> Seemed unkind to throw a javelin at a shark
Jeremy Payne
My Website

#12 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 05:56 AM

I know I'm too old to appreciate the dumb karate chopping / dancing dragon thing, but I did do stuff like that when I was 18 I suppose.
I just wonder what the reaction would have been if this stuff had been filmed from Abernathy's boat, maybe on the same trip of the recent accident. Furthermore this was filmed from the Dolphin Dream who I believe were big participants in slamming Abernathy after the accident.
I'm all for having fun, do underwater dancing if that's what runs your motor; but I can't see anyone here looking around them, paying any attention to currents and the direction of the chum slick, where the tigers, or occasional bull - if any - might be coming from, etc. I assume as well that everybody on the dive was into the party, anybody who was not certainly could not have enjoyed being down there with the rest of the group.
I guess this could be posted as a movie of how not to conduct a group dive at Tiger Beach.

Edited by loftus, 30 May 2008 - 06:14 AM.

Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#13 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5842 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:42 AM

Are you serious? Would you not describe it as harassment ? I certainly would. Mind you, I feel the way you probably get some of your shots would probably fall into a similar catagory. I am sorry if you feel that this a personal attack, but to condone what they did, in your postion, I feel is wrong.

I never condoned it. I just thought it was hilarious. It did look dangerous and was not that way I'd like to be in the water with large sharks.

I don't know you, Stew, and we've never been in the water together. I didn't take what you said was a personal attack because we have no personal relationship whatsoever. You have no first-hand experience with my methods underwater.
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#14 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:58 AM

I don't know you, Stew, and we've never been in the water together. I didn't take what you said was a personal attack because we have no personal relationship whatsoever. You have no first-hand experience with my methods underwater.
[/quote]

or above water, you are correct. i found this video to be harassment to the sharks. you may not, but that would be your personal opinion, and what i have written is mine, which hopefully i am entitled to.

perhaps it would have been better for your original reply to have said.

It did look dangerous and was not that way I'd like to be in the water with large sharks.

instead of

Some of the behavior makes light of the potential danger that comes with being in the water with large sharks, but I'm glad that they were having so much fun!

Edited by stewsmith, 30 May 2008 - 08:04 AM.

#15 MatthewAddison

MatthewAddison

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:16 AM

Mind you, I feel the way you probably get some of your shots would probably fall into a similar catagory.

Sorry Stew. I spent 15 days diving & photographing with Eric and I can tell you he is one of the most environmentally cautious photographers I have been in the water with. I wonder why you would assume such a thing without witnessing or direct proof. I know we have never met, so how is my diving?
Nikon D3, S&S MDX-D3, S&S YS250 (2), Inon 45 viewfinder, ZEN underwater dome, 14mm, 17-35mm, 60mm, 110mm.
Outfitted courtesy of H2O Photo Pros - Newport Beach, CA
Visit My Website
Visit my educational not-for-profit foundation "saveourseas.tv"

A is A

#16 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:26 AM

Sorry Stew. I spent 15 days diving & photographing with Eric and I can tell you he is one of the most environmentally cautious photographers I have been in the water with. I wonder why you would assume such a thing without witnessing or direct proof. I know we have never met, so how is my diving?

i wasnt saying anything at all about the way eric dives. if i did please show me where.

#17 shawnh

shawnh

Shawk Man

• Senior Moderator
  • 1398 posts
  • Interests:UW Video, UW Photography Diving, Telemark Skiing, Cycling, Travel

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:50 AM

Having dived the tigers on Jim's boat a number of times, I have to say I have not seen behavior like this before. Jim's methods are calculated and deliberate. Every dive is taken seriously and no one messes around. You would be dropped on land and flown home if you every tried this on Jim's boat. That is probably one of the reasons Eric and I choose to dive the Bahamas with Jim. His respect and appreciate for the sharks is unmatched.

I suppose there will always be those who take something a step too far. The video unto itself was entertaining and edited well. Under other circumstances I would have appreciated it more. My lack of appreciation for the carelessness these divers displayed underwater makes it hard for me to enjoy the video. I hope the Dolphin Dream takes note and exercises greater discipline in the future.

Finally, Eric is very much environmentally concerned. His artistic appreciation for the video says nothing for his concern for safe and environmentally sound diving practices. If there is an environmental film project to do, Eric is at the top of my call list.

-shawn
Canon 5D MII - Aquatica Housing - Sola 4000 Lights - Wahoo HD Monitor & Sony EX1 - Gates EX1 Housing - Fathoms UWA Lens
www.bluespheremedia.com

#18 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1993 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

Having dived the tigers on Jim's boat a number of times, I have to say I have not seen behavior like this before. Jim's methods are calculated and deliberate. Every dive is taken seriously and no one messes around. You would be dropped on land and flown home if you every tried this on Jim's boat. That is probably one of the reasons Eric and I choose to dive the Bahamas with Jim. His respect and appreciate for the sharks is unmatched.

I wasn't going to name names, but there you go. Amen to that. Im a little surprised actually to see that another boat allows this type of behavior in the vicinity of tiger sharks. I honestly thought that all pretty much used the same safety principles.

Cor
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#19 stewsmith

stewsmith

Giant Squid

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts
    diving
    photography
    winding Drew up

Posted 30 May 2008 - 09:39 AM

I wasn't going to name names, but there you go. Amen to that. Im a little surprised actually to see that another boat allows this type of behavior in the vicinity of tiger sharks. I honestly thought that all pretty much used the same safety principles.

Cor

it is quite good that this video was posted. i was going to be chartering the dolphindream for early next year, and the deposit was meant to be paid a few weeks after the poor guy died out at tiger beach. not knowing what the outcome would be from the incident, and thinking there would be some kind of enquiry into what took place, i decided to put it on the back burner. another WP member had PM'd me a couple of times regarding safety concerns with the dolphindream. he didnt have any first hand experience but he did know of someone that did. after watching this video, i emailed dolphindream to get a full explanation from them and asked to hear their views. below is a copy of my email to which i have not had any reply.

http://nl.youtube.co...h?v=oR3jjx6rQOM

please find attached a link to a video that was shot by others, whilst diving the bahamas with your compnay,. i had already made enquiries with yourselves regarding chartering the dolphin dream and would like to know a few facts from yourselves first.

firstly what is your opinion of this video, i do not mean quality i mean content.
secondly did you know that the people involved in the making of this video were acting like this underwater, and would you allow these guys to be repeat customers
and finally, were any guides or crew in the water when this film was being made. if they were why did they not stop these fools from acting like this.

i find it hard to believe that after a recent fatality out where this video was made, and that you would allow such total nonesense to happen.

please reply to me with your honest answers,

yours, a future customer

#20 okuma

okuma

Great Hammerhead

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 10:12 AM

Having been on a very similar shark dive and completed 2,000 other dives I offer the following comments:

1. At first glance it is a well edited and funny video.
2. The video contains unsafe and irresponsible diver and boat safety criteria.
3. It protrays to the public irresponsible diver behavior and denigrates the majority of good divers

It should be pulled off public viewing.
Underwater Photography:
If it is so easy every one would be doing it!

Nikon D 7000, Subal Housing, Inon Z 240 strobes.