• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 05:56 PM

Karl.... a million thanks for the information! I just received my piece from Mr. Yeo. After all the bad publicity I've heard about Sea and Sea customer service I was QUITE Impressed with Mr. Yeo's responsiveness and assistance. After a couple e-mail exchanges, in which we determined my vendor here in SoCal didn't have the piece, he rushed it out to me from Singapore.....Free of charge, and with his Compliments. Now THAT is how customer support is supposed to be! Andrew...if you read this board.... a Million thanks Sir! Thanks again to Karl for bringing this possible solution to my attention.

Karl, have you used the piece with sucess? I know you said you modified it to reduce backscatter...results? Thoughts?? Thanks ;)

Greg

Edited by sideways, 19 September 2008 - 05:57 PM.

Similan Islands....
http://www.flickr.co...804385191/show/

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

Canon HF S30, L&M Housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

#42 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, Formula 1

Posted 20 September 2008 - 05:32 AM

I too bought my DX-1G from My Yeo.....I was quite happy with his service. In fact, he shipped the package to me in Malaysia where I was having my holidays. Later on, when I had problems with my strobe, I went back to see him and he promptly gave me a spare Oring and batt cover for free to solve my slight leak problem. I was impressed.

I highly recommend buying from him if you are in Singapore. Service like that got me to stick to Sea & Sea even after I moved on to housing my D300.

#43 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 12:05 AM

Karl.... a million thanks for the information! I just received my piece from Mr. Yeo. After all the bad publicity I've heard about Sea and Sea customer service I was QUITE Impressed with Mr. Yeo's responsiveness and assistance. After a couple e-mail exchanges, in which we determined my vendor here in SoCal didn't have the piece, he rushed it out to me from Singapore.....Free of charge, and with his Compliments. Now THAT is how customer support is supposed to be! Andrew...if you read this board.... a Million thanks Sir! Thanks again to Karl for bringing this possible solution to my attention.

Karl, have you used the piece with sucess? I know you said you modified it to reduce backscatter...results? Thoughts?? Thanks ;)

Greg

Hi Greg - PM'd you thanks.

Basically I blacked it out by masking off the bits that didn't need to be black and sprayed it black. Have used it once since then - due to the bad weather here in the Perth region of Western Australia and it worked well. A small bit of flash still escapes but not enough to cause any problems. Can't wait to get back in the water to try it out fully. We are planning a trip to Rottnest Island (just off of Perth) next month as well as down to Busselton (2 1/2 hours south of Perth) to dive the Busselton Jetty and the wreck of the ex HMAS Swan - all are excellent dives with great photographic opportunities, so I should give it a real good work out then.

Karl
Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#44 E_viking

E_viking

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:UW Photography, Diving,
    Skiing & Mountaineering

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:51 AM

I can also highly recommend Mr. Yeo at Sea&Sea in Singapore.

Nikon D800, Nikon 60, 105, 16-35, Sigma 15, Nauticam D800, Zen 230mm, Subsee +5 & +10, 2*INON Z240

#45 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 06:44 PM

Yesterday I had my first dive with the new FO adaptor in place. On previous dives I was seeing missfires with my 110 anywhere from 20-50% of the time. With this piece, I had "0" misfires in 300 shots. Plus.... the results in flash performance we're quite different. These results are closer to what I envisioned as TTL capable when I bought this system.
Similan Islands....

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

#46 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 September 2008 - 08:22 AM

I am leaving for my trip aboard the Komodo Dancer, next Sunday, October 5th, where I will give my DX-1G it's first real workout. I can not wait. I'll post some photos here when I return sometime around the 25th of October.

#47 kal

kal

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 October 2008 - 01:13 AM

I am leaving for my trip aboard the Komodo Dancer, next Sunday, October 5th, where I will give my DX-1G it's first real workout. I can not wait. I'll post some photos here when I return sometime around the 25th of October.

#48 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:17 AM

Well now Im leaning back towards the "Sea and Sea has crappy customer service" side. After the great help by Mr. Yeo, the Sea and Sea Rep on the Scubaboard Sea and Sea forum either deleted, or had a mod delete the 4 page thread there. The thread had been up well over a month or 2, and had quite a few good questions and points. Nothing at all confrontational or disrespectful. The last post was one I made asking about the FO adaptor talked about here. When it might be available in the states...etc.. Well, log on today, the rep was online for the first time in over a week since that post.....and now the threads gone.

Greg

**update...... this from the S&S rep on Scubaboard....

HI Greg-
The post was deleted since it developed into a more general photography thread with mention of other manufacturer's and accessories etc with links. Not due to any issues regarding the SEA&SEA topics. To answer your question, the US is receiving stock of the "DX-1G Fiber Optic Cable Adapter" in the next 2 weeks and will be able to provide them to our US retailers or consumers who contact us at seaandsea@tusa.com requesting such with their housing serial # and mailing address, of course at no charge.
New 2009 products will be shown at DEMA at end of this month and appropriate announcements will be made during that time and into November.

Edited by sideways, 03 October 2008 - 03:15 PM.

Similan Islands....

#49 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:17 AM

I just returned from Komodo Dancer trip, and My DX-1G performed flawlessly, or almost. I got some great photos and will be posting some as soon as I have time to sort through them. I Love this camera!

Well now Im leaning back towards the "Sea and Sea has crappy customer service" side. After the great help by Mr. Yeo, the Sea and Sea Rep on the Scubaboard Sea and Sea forum either deleted, or had a mod delete the 4 page thread there. The thread had been up well over a month or 2, and had quite a few good questions and points. Nothing at all confrontational or disrespectful. The last post was one I made asking about the FO adaptor talked about here. When it might be available in the states...etc.. Well, log on today, the rep was online for the first time in over a week since that post.....and now the threads gone.

Greg

**update...... this from the S&S rep on Scubaboard....

HI Greg-
The post was deleted since it developed into a more general photography thread with mention of other manufacturer's and accessories etc with links. Not due to any issues regarding the SEA&SEA topics. To answer your question, the US is receiving stock of the "DX-1G Fiber Optic Cable Adapter" in the next 2 weeks and will be able to provide them to our US retailers or consumers who contact us at seaandsea@tusa.com requesting such with their housing serial # and mailing address, of course at no charge.
New 2009 products will be shown at DEMA at end of this month and appropriate announcements will be made during that time and into November.

#50 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 October 2008 - 04:01 PM

Here is a link to some of the photos from Indonesia.

http://www.facebook....#...3030&ref=nf

#51 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:01 PM

Here is a link to some of the photos from Indonesia.

http://www.facebook....#...3030&ref=nf

Sorry, the address is actually:
http://www.facebook....p;id=1274573030

#52 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:26 PM

Wow!!! Great shots Bro!! Were you shooting in auto???
Similan Islands....

#53 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, Formula 1

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:31 AM

Sorry, the address is actually:
http://www.facebook....p;id=1274573030

Good photos! I love one of the descriptions "This is a shrimp"....lol....

I added you as a friend on FB if you don't mind Mark. That way I can see the next time you upload your dive pics and you can browse through mine :uwphotog:

#54 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 03:19 AM

Good photos! I love one of the descriptions "This is a shrimp"....lol....

I added you as a friend on FB if you don't mind Mark. That way I can see the next time you upload your dive pics and you can browse through mine :uwphotog:

Great! I approved you on my Facebook account. Very glad you like the photos. I have a lot more to edit and will add to them. Sadly I will not be diving again until next June, but I will be going on the Sardine Run in South Africa.

#55 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:56 AM

Greg

Hi Greg - PM'd you thanks.

Basically I blacked it out by masking off the bits that didn't need to be black and sprayed it black. Have used it once since then - due to the bad weather here in the Perth region of Western Australia and it worked well. A small bit of flash still escapes but not enough to cause any problems. Can't wait to get back in the water to try it out fully. We are planning a trip to Rottnest Island (just off of Perth) next month as well as down to Busselton (2 1/2 hours south of Perth) to dive the Busselton Jetty and the wreck of the ex HMAS Swan - all are excellent dives with great photographic opportunities, so I should give it a real good work out then.

Karl

Just an update since my last post. I have been using the adaptor and have had great success - especially with it being blacked out, it has reduced the backscatter from the internal flash to nil. I am also now using a new technic for the positioning of the main flash (YS27) to completely rid backscatter from it. The method is described in Martin Edge's book 'Underwater Photography - Tips and Technics Edition 3'.

Bascially for macro mode shooting you place the flash to the top of the camera pointing almost directly ahead so that the bottom of the flash pattern highlights your subject rather than the centre of the flash. For wide angle you bring your flash in close and angle it away from the camera (outwards). It seems to be working well for me so far.

Hope this helps.

Karl

#56 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 05:35 AM

Just an update since my last post. I have been using the adaptor and have had great success - especially with it being blacked out, it has reduced the backscatter from the internal flash to nil. I am also now using a new technic for the positioning of the main flash (YS27) to completely rid backscatter from it. The method is described in Martin Edge's book 'Underwater Photography - Tips and Technics Edition 3'.

Bascially for macro mode shooting you place the flash to the top of the camera pointing almost directly ahead so that the bottom of the flash pattern highlights your subject rather than the centre of the flash. For wide angle you bring your flash in close and angle it away from the camera (outwards). It seems to be working well for me so far.

Hope this helps.

Karl

Your last shots looked really good Karl. I'm going to have to pick up this book your talking about. Strobe placement seems to be one of my biggest issues, especially for macro. What had also helped for me a bit is not getting too close. So instead of getting an inch or 2 away...I get 6 inches and zoom just a smidge. If it's not too much zoom it seems to be fine resolution/grain wise, plus my strobe hits the subject better. I blacked my adaptor out too...seems to be working with regards to the internal flash and backscatter like you mention.

Greg
Similan Islands....

#57 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 14 November 2008 - 12:55 AM

Greg,

I get to about 3 - 4cm away (approx 1 inch) with my macro shots and I and I zoom in and out as required from there. I find it too hard to get any closer - but then that might just have to do with where I am acutually diving :) . My avatar photo was taken about 5cm away - I think it looks the goods.

Overall - so far I really like the camera and I am having a great time using it.

Edited by Karl, 14 November 2008 - 12:57 AM.

#58 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 07:56 AM

Wow!!! Great shots Bro!! Were you shooting in auto???

Thanks, I shot in manual mode the entire time. I found it very easy to dial i n the exposure with the strobe. Indonesia is an amazing destination. Lots of current though.

#59 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 08:59 AM

Thanks, I shot in manual mode the entire time. I found it very easy to dial i n the exposure with the strobe. Indonesia is an amazing destination. Lots of current though.

My last dive I started messing around in aperture mode, with promising results. My problem, even with my new prescription mask....is reading some of the finer stuff on the viewscreen UW. I do want to start using the manual mode though.....Im not all that impressed with the cameras autofocus.
Similan Islands....

#60 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

My last dive I started messing around in aperture mode, with promising results. My problem, even with my new prescription mask....is reading some of the finer stuff on the viewscreen UW. I do want to start using the manual mode though.....Im not all that impressed with the cameras autofocus.

I have a similar problem reading the info in the viewfinder, I am going to add a focus light and I am getting some 2.0 diopters for my mask. I found the autofocus to be just fine, I used manual exposure mode.