• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:27 PM

I have a focus light that I got from 10Bar - www.10bar.com - from Hong Kong and it works a treat, I believe it is also the one sold by Fantasea. It has a built in light sensor that turns the focus light off when it detects the flash therefore negating any hotspot or backscatter issues.

At the moment I have it mounted on the housing with the hotshoe adaptor but after reading Martin Edges' book I am trying new methods with my flash - so on my next dive I am going to mount the flash on the housing and the focus light on the arm and see how I go.

Karl

Edited by Karl, 17 November 2008 - 02:28 PM.

Everyone is entitled to my opinion!!

#62 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

I have a focus light that I got from 10Bar - www.10bar.com - from Hong Kong and it works a treat, I believe it is also the one sold by Fantasea. It has a built in light sensor that turns the focus light off when it detects the flash therefore negating any hotspot or backscatter issues.

At the moment I have it mounted on the housing with the hotshoe adaptor but after reading Martin Edges' book I am trying new methods with my flash - so on my next dive I am going to mount the flash on the housing and the focus light on the arm and see how I go.

Karl

I have just ordered that same light and set up, so I'll be interested to learn how your experiment goes.

#63 oskar

oskar

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:33 AM

I only found out about them when I visited the Sea and Sea shop in Singapore - I haven't seen any in Australia. If you email Andrew Yeo at seansea@pacific.net.sg or telephone +65 6337 6334 he will help you as he had a box full of them when I was there.

On a side note - I have painted one of the ones I got black on the outside in an attempt to reduce the backscatter from the internal flash, so hopefully this will work.

Karl

Coupld you post a pic of one of these here? It may be easier to make one that ordering one from Singapore, or dou you know if they are available inte europe?

cheers

#64 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

Coupld you post a pic of one of these here? It may be easier to make one that ordering one from Singapore, or dou you know if they are available inte europe?

cheers

I sent a e-mail to the US customer service rep, withthe serial number of my housing and he is sending me one free of charge.

Mark

#65 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:21 AM

Just noticed that Ricoh have relased (in Australia anyway - we are probably a year behind everyone else :monkey: ) the new Ricoh DX 200 compact digital camera. From the photos of it that I saw it looks almost as if it is the DX 100 (which is what our camera is) with the internal functions / software etc improved - it will be interesting to see if it will fit straight into our cases without any modification :)

Karl

#66 mbailey

mbailey

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:51 PM

Just noticed that Ricoh have relased (in Australia anyway - we are probably a year behind everyone else :fishblue: ) the new Ricoh DX 200 compact digital camera. From the photos of it that I saw it looks almost as if it is the DX 100 (which is what our camera is) with the internal functions / software etc improved - it will be interesting to see if it will fit straight into our cases without any modification :uwphotog:

Karl

I read on a forum somewhere that there were just enough differences in the two cameras, primarily the location of some controls to make the Dx 200 not compatible with the housing.
Too bad, maybe they will make the software upgrades available.

Mark

#67 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

I read on a forum somewhere that there were just enough differences in the two cameras, primarily the location of some controls to make the Dx 200 not compatible with the housing.
Too bad, maybe they will make the software upgrades available.

Mark

I read the same... that some of the buttons were just enough off to make it a nil deal. :uwphotog:
Similan Islands....
http://www.flickr.co...804385191/show/

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

Canon HF S30, L&M Housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

#68 XCY

XCY

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:24 PM

cheers

The one is an old model and there are prone to flooding which was the experience by many Hong Kong divers.
Here is some new model. http://www.i-divesit...asp?catid=40693

I guess Dx1G is a good camera and here are my photos with it.
I used to use A mode as I found the LCD in M mode is too dark for me and my eyes. I'm using Inon strobe and do have have the problem of miss fire mentioned so far.

Edited by XCY, 03 December 2008 - 11:25 PM.

#69 sideways

sideways

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:11 PM

The one is an old model and there are prone to flooding which was the experience by many Hong Kong divers.
Here is some new model. http://www.i-divesit...asp?catid=40693

I guess Dx1G is a good camera and here are my photos with it.
I used to use A mode as I found the LCD in M mode is too dark for me and my eyes. I'm using Inon strobe and do have have the problem of miss fire mentioned so far.

WOW.... your shots are really phenominal. It really gives me hope...LOL, that I can get those kind of results from this Cam. Well done!!! I think I have to crown you the "NudiKing" ;) Are you shooting in Manual strictly?? Specificaly in regards to focus...auto focus or manual? Your macro images are quite a bit sharper than mine, and I'm in auto. Gracias :)

Greg
Similan Islands....
http://www.flickr.co...804385191/show/

Nikon D90, Aquatica housing, Ys-110 strobes, Tokina 10-17mm, Nikon 60mm + 105mm, 8" dome port.

Canon HF S30, L&M Housing, 2x Sola 1200 lights.

#70 XCY

XCY

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:33 AM

WOW.... your shots are really phenominal. It really gives me hope...LOL, that I can get those kind of results from this Cam. Well done!!! I think I have to crown you the "NudiKing" ;) Are you shooting in Manual strictly?? Specificaly in regards to focus...auto focus or manual? Your macro images are quite a bit sharper than mine, and I'm in auto. Gracias :)

Greg

Thanks Greg!
I used to use A mode most of the time because of the LCD in M mode is too dark for me. If I need to use M mode, I have to turn my focus light brighter for me to see and for the DX1G to focus. Auto focus is ok, especially if you use a focus light but the response of the camera is not fast at tall. I use manual focus when I was not able to use focus light. For example, the mandarin fishes mating pictures, I had to preset the focus at about 8 cm, use a large f-stop for better depth of field and push the button when the fishes came together. I guess nudis are good models. They are colorful, don't move a lot and you can get really close.
Have fun with the Dx1G!

#71 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 24 December 2008 - 06:43 PM

Hi all, long time no posted but I have been busy out practising my photography :) and I am slowly getting better and understanding my camera a bit better; however, I have one annoying problem that I can't seem to fix or work out.

When I am in Manual 'M' mode so I can adjust Aperture and speed etc my LCD screen is so dark I can not see what I am trying to focus on until I press the shutter button and the image briefly appears on the screen :lol:

I have tried using my focus light to no avail. I have noticed that the EV+ / EV- bar is displaying right at the bottom of the bar (EV-) so I am wondering if this has anything to do with it - i.e. my settings in my camera might be incorrectly set somewhere etc.

So if anyone can give me some advice as to what I might be doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated.

Karl

Edited by Karl, 24 December 2008 - 06:44 PM.

#72 Toni Vega

Toni Vega

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

Hello every one,
Can someone tell me where I can get the FO adapter in the Netherlands?
And in wich manual must y yuse the strobe manual 1 or 2?

Regards

Toni

#73 Karl

Karl

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:19 AM

Been awhile since I was last here and have a new question. Was surfing the net the other day and found a 'ring flash' adapter (for want of a better description) for the DX-1G - it clips onto the front of the camera and directs light from the internal flash down to the lens - thereby negating the need for an external strobe as it directs all of the required light around the lens and onto the subject. So has anyone out there got one and used it or seen it in action? I am interested ingetting one but want to see if it is worth it and not a gimmick.

Thanks.

Karl