• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unclefud

unclefud

Starfish

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 10:52 AM

I am ready to pull the trigger and purchase Subal housing for my Canon 40D. Since there are no Subal dealiers in my area, I have not been able to physically inspect it. Was wandering if anyone has this housing and could provide any useful criticism or comments.
Fred Evans
Dallas,TX

#2 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

I've been using my Subal 40D housing for around two months now and love it. The location of the two knobs/wheels for controlling aperture and shutter speed so they are just at your thumb/finger tips is the best improvement over my old Subal 20D housing. The view through the viewfinder with a GS180 magnifying viewfinder is HUUUGE!

I've tried hard to find anything about the housing I don't like (apart from the price :D ) and it comes down to one minor thing. Because the wheel that drives the aperture control is run through a chain of gears so it can be under your thumb it moves in the opposite direction to the actual control on the camera. Therefore, instead of rotating it clockwise to reduce aperture you have to rotate it anti-clockwise. Therefore, it is not coming naturally to me at present as I have to stop and think about what I'm doing (which I didn't have to do with my 20D housing). I'm slowly getting used to it and am sure after a few more dives I'll get used to it and won't have to think about it anymore.
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#3 Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Humpback Whale

• 3049 posts
  • Interests:Protecting our Ocean, Environmental Education,
    Having fun and Living Well

Posted 20 April 2008 - 07:18 PM

Because the wheel that drives the aperture control is run through a chain of gears so it can be under your thumb it moves in the opposite direction to the actual control on the camera. Therefore, instead of rotating it clockwise to reduce aperture you have to rotate it anti-clockwise.

Hey Gudge, I think you can change the direction of the wheel in the custom function IV setup number 4, I think. Works wonders if your used to the camera on land. Have fun.

Steve

The Fin Foundation
HSWImages.com        My Images on Flikr

Canon 5D Mk III, 7D & 40D, 60mm, 100mm, 17-40L, Tokina 10-17, Nauticam 7D, Sea & Sea MDX-40D YS-250's ULCS arms, Lightroom

#4 Gudge

Gudge

Tiger Shark

• Team Wetpixel
  • 537 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

Hey Gudge, I think you can change the direction of the wheel in the custom function IV setup number 4, I think. Works wonders if your used to the camera on land. Have fun.

That fixed it, thankyou very much. Now there isn't anything I don't like about my Subal 40D housing. :D
Canon 7D, Nauticam NA-7D housing, 2 x Inon Z240, 1 x Inon S2000, Tokina 10-17 & 12-24, Sigma 17-70 Macro, Tokina 35 macro, Canon 60 & 100 macro, Tamron 2X & Kenko 1.X Teleconverters.

#5 rbibb

rbibb

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Diving, Skiing and Cooking !!

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:24 AM

I am ready to pull the trigger and purchase Subal housing for my Canon 40D. Since there are no Subal dealiers in my area, I have not been able to physically inspect it. Was wandering if anyone has this housing and could provide any useful criticism or comments.
Fred Evans
Dallas,TX

I have the Subal housing for my 5D. As far as I'm concerned the housing is the best one available. Build quality is second to none and it handles like a dream underwater.