7 replies to this topic

#1 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:medical doctor and wanabe photographer

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:09 AM

I'm going down the colorado river soon, I'm looking for a waterproof camera bag/backpack, something to protect from complete immersion in water thanks

#2 Arnon_Ayal

Arnon_Ayal

Sperm Whale

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1826 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

The eva marine will do the work and also will give you the option to take frames in wet enviroment.
Arnon Ayal www.arnonayal.com
Nikon D200, Ikelite housing, Dual SB105.

#3 Aquatic

Aquatic

Wolf Eel

• Industry
  • PipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 11:44 AM

Look at the LowePro Dry Zone Backpack.

http://products.lowe...terproof,18.htm

Dan

Aquatic Camera, LLC

Edited by Aquatic, 27 April 2008 - 11:46 AM.

Dan Tyrpak

Aquatic Camera,LLC
Email
Aquatic Camera.com

Aquatica, bigblue, Fantasea, Fisheye, Ikelite, INON, Light & Motion, Nauticam, OLYMPUS, Reefnet, Sea & Sea, Stix, ULCS

#4 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10644 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:29 AM

Check out Ralftech's Heavy Duty Expedition Techline. They are roll down bags which can take temporary immersion. Also the Heavy Duty Commando Techline Barrel works very well with a drysuit zipper.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#5 markdhanlon

markdhanlon

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:29 AM

I picked up the DryZone 100 and it's pretty sweet. It has a dry zipper as well as an internal regular zipper so you don't have to use it if you don't need it. I've used it kayaking and did a pool test (empty of course) fully submerged for almost two hours and not a drop inside. It's also very comfortable hiking in.
Sincerely,
Mark Hanlon

Canon 350D, Ike Housing, dual DS-125, 10-17mm FE, 60mm macro.

#6 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:25 PM

Hmmm.. I have the dryzone 200. It keeps your gear dry. I keep two bodies and 6 lenses and flash + filters and assorted camera droppings in it. The obvious benefit is that as long as you zip the pod properly it keeps your gear dry. BUT... it is definetly an "overpadded" clumsy bag and I am not thrilled about the design. Getting stuff out of the bag is a PITA and I admit that there have been misses shots due to the hassle of getting anything out of the bag. For one, the design of the front flap is such that it has to come off and lie down on something when opening the "pod". I really do not understand why the front flap was designed to snap to the back of the pack, it woulf have been much better is it was clipped to the front of the the "pod" and wouldn't be flapping around every time you need to get into the bag. Also, the pod, even when the zipper is lubricated, is tough to open, or at east slow. The shoulder straps and the hip straps are seriously overpadded and very bulky so when travelling it will be hard to stuff the bad overhead bins or port lockers. Also, I wish ther was a better way to carry the bag when it is not on the back, as the rubber handle position is such that the bag is not really balanced when you carry it by the handle.

My primary use for this bag is to keep camera bodies and glass in it while at home becasue I live in the humid tropics and have no airconditioning I spend a lot of time on my boat or else close to the ocean and saltspray which oud easily lead to corrosion, so the gear will be relaively "safe" while in the sipped pod. However, once the gear is in there, it tends to stay there for a while.

I wish there was a "faster" bag this size, one that woudl be less complicated, yet waterproof.

My "dreambag" would be if you could take the layout and lack of heavy padding of the Moose Petersen MP3 and make it out of the vinyl pod material and watertight zippers of the Lowepro Dryzone. If you coudl coupe this with removable shoulderstarps which you could either snap on "backpack style" or cross to wear across you chest... And no clumsy snagging armsrest style hipbelt please....

I can dream...

Edited by Marjo, 27 May 2008 - 07:43 PM.

#7 mrbubbles

mrbubbles

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • Interests:medical doctor and wanabe photographer

Posted 27 May 2008 - 06:26 PM

Thanks I got the dryzone. Looks large and well made. I'll be totin a d300/tripod/ multiple lenses down the colorado river through the grand canyon in june, for 6 days. I cant wait. its my second time,last being 12 years ago with a film point and shoot. It should be amazing

#8 antacid

antacid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 08:18 AM

Thanks I got the dryzone. Looks large and well made. I'll be totin a d300/tripod/ multiple lenses down the colorado river through the grand canyon in june, for 6 days. I cant wait. its my second time,last being 12 years ago with a film point and shoot. It should be amazing

how about trying those sealine baja bags with the rolling top. you can buy some inserts like the crumpler photo buckets, domke inserts, or even use thinktank pouches to hold your lenses/equipment.

i use a 25L baja bag with the a small crumpler bucket for my sailing trips.
www.colouredshots.com
Kodak disposable film camera

"I use lousy equipment. I charge very high rates."