• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Kille

Rob Kille

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hello all, my name is Rob Kille. I've been shooting uw for a while now. Like many of you I took the progressive route to my current setup (D2x in Seacam), from Nikonos to SLR to DSLR. My preferred destinations for uw-photo are Indonesia and Papau New Guinea but I have not yet cut the pull Galapagos has on me. I don't dive the Caribbean much anymore with the exception of Bonaire which I enjoy as much for the topside atmosphere as I do the diving.

I get out about 4 times per year for dive trips, so considering how fast the game and equipment are changing these days Wetpixel seems the appropriate place to try and keep up ;)

Hopefully I can give something back as well.

Rob

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:38 PM

Hello all, my name is Rob Kille. I've been shooting uw for a while now. Like many of you I took the progressive route to my current setup (D2x in Seacam), from Nikonos to SLR to DSLR. My preferred destinations for uw-photo are Indonesia and Papau New Guinea but I have not yet cut the pull Galapagos has on me. I don't dive the Caribbean much anymore with the exception of Bonaire which I enjoy as much for the topside atmosphere as I do the diving.

I get out about 4 times per year for dive trips, so considering how fast the game and equipment are changing these days Wetpixel seems the appropriate place to try and keep up ;)

Hopefully I can give something back as well.

Rob

Welcome aboard, it is fun around here :(

Sounds like you are in good shape with your rig, until something else comes along of course :o

#3 Halabriel

Halabriel

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 03 May 2008 - 01:59 PM

Hi and Welcome

Drew is not kidding you know. If you quickly scan these posts, you will rapidly find a common thread..."I love my rig, but.....Oooh that's nice ;) , Can I have one? Pleeeeease :o"

I suggests that before you start reading and posting, that you put your credit card in a locked box at the bottom of the ocean.

Cheers

Dave
Canon Ixus 950is in WPDC-15 housing with Inon accessorization (D2000s strobe, UWL105 and UCL165 lenses).

#4 Rob Kille

Rob Kille

Sea Nettle

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 09:55 AM

Sounds like you are in good shape with your rig, until something else comes along of course :guiness:

Drew and Dave, thank you for the welcome, ------ and the warnings!

Fortunately I am not as "jumpy" about new gear as I used to be :guiness: The D2x has it's shortcomings, but in general I agree with Alex Mustard's comments about this particular platform and the level of appreciable improvement realized by moving to one of the current bad-boy cameras on the market. For macro I like the crop sensor, 60mm and a Seacam Wet diopter (I have found that to be a very productive combination) and for wide angle the DX does mitigate, to some extent, corners issues. I like rectilinear lenses more than FE so when thinking about moving to FF this is a significant consideration, for me. And since I still appreciate base ISO more than higher ISO's, even on the current ISO champs from Nikon and Canon, that isn't specifically something that would cause me to drop another 10 or 12 grand on camera and housing.

Still, while I enjoy the D2x underwater it's shortcoming do bother me topside. I imagine I may end up shooting something new topside and something "old" underwater.

Years past, when I couldn't really afford these kinds of costs I had little compunction to spending this kind of money. Now that I can afford them I tend to be more circumspect. I imagine that all has something to do with youthful stupidity vs. fearful middle age :guiness:

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 10:08 AM

Drew and Dave, thank you for the welcome, ------ and the warnings!

Still, while I enjoy the D2x underwater it's shortcoming do bother me topside. I imagine I may end up shooting something new topside and something "old" underwater.

Years past, when I couldn't really afford these kinds of costs I had little compunction to spending this kind of money. Now that I can afford them I tend to be more circumspect. I imagine that all has something to do with youthful stupidity vs. fearful middle age :guiness:

I love David's idea. I got to do the lock box myself :guiness: One day they will make the perfect camera for all conditions and it willl be portable for dive trip travel :guiness: BTW I do not think it is fearful middle age. I prefer to think of it as wiser middle age. Of course my definition of what I consider middle age also has changed :guiness:

Welcome again :angry:

#6 Pinguino

Pinguino

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 03:42 PM

Hi there.. Just thought I would introduce myself and I apologize for hi-jacking the thread.. :(.

My name is Jes and although I'm not new to underwater photography, I am new to this site.
I manage a dive shop here in Victoria BC Canada.

Up until now I have been shooting a Nikon Coolpix 4300 with a Fantasea CP4 Pro housing with focus light and strobe. I have recently purchased a used camera system from a friend and dive buddy who just upgraded his system. :lol: (One man's junk is another man's treasure sort of thing. :) )

Anyways.. Here is my dilema and I'm hoping someone here can help me out or point me to a solution.

I purchased his Sony DSC-W7 along with the Ikelite housing for it. It also came with the tray and two handles as well as some lenses. The issue is.. the strobe and lighting and how to mount it..

I could take the Ikelite camera/housing and attempt to mount it on my Fantasea tray but it would require drilling new holes to match the ikelite housing's mounting screws.. My prefered method would be to find some way to either take my exiting Fantases strobe arms and light/strobe and mount it somehow to the Ikelite tray or even just a way to take my NANO focus light and strobe (Both from Fantasea) and mount it to the Ikelite Arms.

If anyone has any suggestions, or needs more information on the setup and connections I currently have, please let me know. Thanks.

Edited by Pinguino, 30 December 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#7 TimA

TimA

Sea Wasp

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 12:56 AM

Greetings from Kuraburi, Thailand the doorway to the Surin Islands and the fantastic Richelieu Rock.
This is where me and my family live half the year: the other half the year we live in Sumatra where my wife
comes from. When we are in Sumatra we do Surf and Dive charters on our 80 foot boat.
I am just now becoming interested in photography after finding a Canon G9 and Ikelite housing
at 35 meters while diving at Richelieu Rocks. After reporting its find to all the liveboards around it hasn't been
claimed for nearly 1 year. What should I do with it???

TimA

www.IndianOceanAdventures.com
Diving @ Richelieu Rock, Thailand
Surf & Dive North Sumatra

"Everything you can imagine is real"~~ Pablo Picasso

#8 Scubamoose

Scubamoose

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, travel.

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:27 AM

Greetings from Kuraburi, Thailand the doorway to the Surin Islands and the fantastic Richelieu Rock.
This is where me and my family live half the year: the other half the year we live in Sumatra where my wife
comes from. When we are in Sumatra we do Surf and Dive charters on our 80 foot boat.
I am just now becoming interested in photography after finding a Canon G9 and Ikelite housing
at 35 meters while diving at Richelieu Rocks. After reporting its find to all the liveboards around it hasn't been
claimed for nearly 1 year. What should I do with it???

TimA

www.IndianOceanAdventures.com

Hi TimA and welcome to WP!
I see that You have done all You can to find the owner of that rig (in the name of all UW photographer's - thank You for doing so :good: ), and since the owner hasn't shown up I would say congratulations for getting Yourself equiped to get involved in UW photography!
Cheers
Scubamoose

Edited by Scubamoose, 08 January 2009 - 01:35 AM.

My Flickr
www.karelbernard.com

Karel Bernard
Canon G9 in Ikelite Housing; SubStrobe DS-160
WA lens Ikelite W-20; Inon UCL-165 M67 Close-up Lenses