Wetpixel Google Map

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 13 May 2008 - 04:53 AM

Very cool Cor! Now I wonder who this other wetpixelite on STX is....

#42 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:03 AM

I wondered that myself as well :)
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#43 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:17 AM

Hi Cor

Very nice feature!!!!
But I can not make it work. Every time I click on edit your position, it ask me to log in. I log in, come back an then it ask to log in again.
I have tried firefox, safari, and IE.
Am I missing something?

Thanks

Marcelo.

Unfortunately this probably has nothing to do with the map itself but with the underlying authentication. Are you perhaps not accepting cookies? Or otherwise using some security measure that could interfere with this?

Do you see that you're logged in in the top-right corner?

#44 Marcelo Krause

Marcelo Krause

Moray Eel

• PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:46 PM

Do you see that you're logged in in the top-right corner?

huummmm no. I see that I am logged in on the top left corner at the forums pages, but it does not show that I am logged in on the top right corner, neither on the map or the front page.
I will look at the security/cookies issue...

Thanks

Marcelo

#45 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 05:15 AM

If you're not logged into the front page, it wont work. The maps page uses that same authentication. The only thing I can see in the source is that it checks for a cookie. Another possibility could be that you're behind a proxy that keeps changing its ip#

#46 John Bantin

John Bantin

Sperm Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • Interests:former Technical Editor of
    Diver Magazine (UK) and www.divernet.com
    occasional contributor
    SportDiver (Aus)
    Undercurrent
    Author of Amazing Diving Stories (Wiley Nautical)

Posted 17 May 2008 - 07:41 AM

It's when you really zoom into a person's position on the map that it becomes apparent that so many Wetpixellers live out in the street. Is it the cost of underwater photography to blame for the fact that so few of us seem to have a roof over our heads?

I buy my own photographic kit. Diving equipment manufacturers and diving services suppliers get even-handed treatment from me whether they choose to advertise in the publications I write for or not. All the equipment I get on loan is returned as soon as it is finished with. Did you know you can now get Diver Mag as an iPad/Android app?

#47 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 04:51 PM

It's a privacy issue, and I recommend that one doesnt pinpoint their exact position.

#48 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 05:00 PM

It's a privacy issue, and I recommend that one doesnt pinpoint their exact position.

I like John's reasoning more, though yours makes more sense :)

#49 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:18 AM

Two more things. First, i added a person's real name if they have it set in the profile. Second, you can directly access your own marker by providing an id to the URL like this:

http://wetpixel.com/maps/?id=1029

You can find your own ID by hovering over your own name in any part of the forum. If it's clickable it'll show you a number. That's your ID. Try hovering over my name on the left of this posting and you'll see 1029. Check my sig on how you could theoretically use that option.. edit: this was phrased wrong. On firefix if you hover over it you'll see the URL it'll go to on the bottom of the screen. Other browser may not do that. Just click on my name instead and you'll see 1029 mentioned in the URL bar.

#50 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:32 AM

You can find your own ID by hovering over your own name in any part of the forum. If it's clickable it'll show you a number. That's your ID. Try hovering over my name on the left of this posting and you'll see 1029. Check my sig on how you could theoretically use that option.

Hovering didn't work for me, weird. But I can see the ID if I rightclick on the link and go to properties.

#51 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:35 AM

Guess im used to firefox, there you see the link in the bottom of the browser window. You can also just click on your name and in the URL bar you'll see your ID.

#52 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:01 AM

Two more things. First, i added a person's real name if they have it set in the profile. ...

The only issue I'd have with this is that the name field in the profile was filled out since it says "for prize distribution only, not public". You just made it so.

Would suggest if you want to use the names in the map that the profile have another entry, one for prize distribution, not public and one for map/other public use, at the user's option.

I'm not really raising a stink - my name is easy enough to find elsewhere on the internet - but you do have a privacy policy issue with saying a field isn't public when it's been divulged.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#53 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:07 AM

You are absolutely right, and I have removed it again. This option got added after a short discussion with another wetpixel moderator on the wetpixel bahamas trip and I guess neither of us realized that info was private.

#54 rtrski

rtrski

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts
  • Interests:Slowly learning digital photography and underwater digital photography. Like drinking from a salt-water firehose... ;-)

Posted 01 June 2008 - 05:12 AM

Like I said, I didn't mind...just wanted to let you know you had a contradiction. If you were to add a field to the profiles that would be 'name to show on map', I'd have filled mine in. It's kind of a buddy-finder sort of service in that way. Although my 'better half' gives me the gimlet eye anytime I even think about diving without her (unless it's cold water! :lol: )

By the way, I never did say 'neat application' did I? Just put my location in (no street surfing for me, my house ain't exactly going to be a target because someone knows I dive) and took it for granted. So...neat application! ^_^

Edited by rtrski, 01 June 2008 - 05:14 AM.

Current rig: Sony SLT-alpha55 in Ikelite housing, Sigma 105mm f2.8 DC Macro w/ Ike 5505.58 flat port or Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 DC HSM behind UWCamStuff custom 5" mini-dome. Dual INON z240 Type IVs triggered with DS51 for TTL mimicry, or DS51 alone with home-made ringflash assy for macro.

Topside, unhoused: Sony SLT-alpha99, Sigma 150-500mm + 1.4TC (Saving for Sony 70-400 G2), Sigma 15mm diagonal fish, Sony 24-70mm f2.8 CZ, Tamron 180mm f2.8 Macro...all the gear and nary a clue...

#55 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 02 June 2008 - 01:48 PM

Awesome feature. However I just had to move to the hills as Mike Veitch was always on top of me!

Why do some of the members names show up when you go over them and others don't?

Edited by Graham Abbott, 02 June 2008 - 01:50 PM.

#56 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:06 PM

Mike probably prefers to be on top.

Which names dont show up? They should all show.

#57 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Interests:Diving, diving, diving, marine life, critters, rare animals, new species, mountain biking, Indonesia in general, San Francisco, music and a growing interest in art of all kinds!

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:07 PM

I've worked out that it's only when members are bunched up close. When I moved away from Mike everything was fine.

I'd love to comment more about Mike being on top, though I'll refrain for now and leave it to others who know him much better than me!

#58 MikeVeitch

MikeVeitch

1.7kbps Manta Boy

• Senior Moderator
  • 6166 posts
  • Interests:Teaching Underwater Photography

Posted 02 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

hmmm... interesting turn this thread is taking..

Does it have something to do with the reputation of Sanur?!? I should add my X address to it eh? :lol:

Join us for our Lembeh and Bunaken Photo Workshop 12-19 May 2014
Blog and Photo Archive/Portfolio Site www.mikeveitchblog.com
Learn underwater photography in Indonesia or Join me on a trip www.underwatertribe.com

#59 Graham Abbott

Graham Abbott

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:12 PM

Hey Mike, Fancy a cold drink later? It looks like it's gonna be another hot one today! Where are you now?

#60 Searcaigh

Searcaigh

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:Diving, photography, 4x4 desert driving

Posted 09 May 2009 - 02:23 AM

I placed my marker but when I logged in again I could not find it?
Gordon T. Smith
Diver and Desert Explorer