• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10641 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 09:37 AM

Ever since SIA outsourced their call center (18007423333) to India, the quality of service even for 1st/Biz class calls has been atrocious. The call center is just a phone service and cannot make any big decisions regarding anything without messaging the "HQ" aka the Los Angeles SIA office. I've found email to be the most effective tool for getting things done as it is handled directly by SIA offices in Singapore and LA.
So far I'd waited for 7 days to hear if it's "ok" for a simple change of a biz class ticket and still heard nothing from them. Emailing them I got a reply in 48 hrs.
You can use the following email form to contact them for whatever services you want:
http://www.singapore...edbackInit.jspx

Take this opportunity to complain about the new baggage policy of 50lbs bag limits. In the fuel price crunch, every airline has made bad decisions (for travellers) regarding luggage limits. :guiness:

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 MikeO

MikeO

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 10:15 AM

I had an interesting experience the other day. Opened up my UA reservation to find that my flight info had been changed to a day later on my return flight. This put me over a barrel as it lengthened my stay in Singapore to two days instead of one. I called the call center -- terrible. The people are very eager but not always helpful, a bad combination. I also wanted to check to see if the agent in LA had added a note to my reservation allowing me the "old" baggage allowance (as had been negotiated earlier). The call center person not only told me that there was no note, but that I really, seriously, had to follow the new policy and no, he couldn't check on my Silk Air reservation! I ended the conversation as quickly as I could. So, I called United to check on that end and was told that SQ had changed my reservation and no one had informed me -- she curtly offered to send me an e-mail update with the new info -- thanks a alot. Next I called the Silk Air / Singpore reservations desk in Singapore (gotta love VOIP). The woman was very helpful, told me that yes a note was in my file from the LA office to the desk at EWR. But only for my flight out of the US, not the return, but that I should be able to explain it to the agents in Manado as long as I had my reservation showing I booked way back in November. We'll see about that. She also said that there "wasn't a flight" from SIA to EWR on the day I had originally booked so that's probably why I had bene moved to the next day. I opined that it might be because of the switch over to all business class on that route and she said that made a lot of sense. Finally I called the number in LA. After being hung up on twice immediately after connecting, I called their alternate number and did get to talk to someone who reiterated that getting the "old" allowance should not be a problem as long as I was booked before the change in policy was announced. She also reiterated that there was not a flight on the day I was originaly booked for so that's probably why my reservation was changed. OK, so now I need a hotel in Singapore. So, after checking with friends there I get verification that the rates at hotels have gone way up and that the rates SQ publishes for their stopover program are actually still quite good and they include transfers. So, I try to do it online -- no lucj since the ticket was booked by UA. Tried the call center and after getting the whole thing set up, their computer wouldn't take my credit card because it is an award ticket and the stopover program is apparently only good for normal paid flight. Ugh. Good news is that I was able to get help from my friends there in booking a place to stay. So, that's my story -- I leave Saturday!

Mike

Mike Oelrich
Canon EOS 40D in Seatool housing, 100mm macro, Tokina 10-17, INON Z-240s.

#3 antacid

antacid

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 12:23 PM

Yes, I agree that email is the best option.

I emailed SIA to make some noise about the luggage policy and how I packed for my stint in the US expecting to be able to go home with 64kg (2x32kg) only to have it cut by a third.

2 days later I got a reply from the US office saying that they've entered a note into the system allowing me to have 64kg on my flight back to Singapore in August. To be safe I've printed out that email in case the staff at the counter give problems.

I also know a couple of crew members and show them around NYC for a couple of days so maybe that helped :guiness:

It's funny how it suddenly got so HOT when I was out with them...had to ditch the coat and all :guiness:
www.colouredshots.com
Kodak disposable film camera

"I use lousy equipment. I charge very high rates."