#1 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Canon 7D,Inon Z220,Sony DSR 400P,Aquacam Futura Pro

Posted 12 May 2008 - 12:00 AM

Hi everyone
Its that time of the year again,when our now world famous Great White Sharks(as seen on National Geographics Airjaws)do there aerobatical displays in pursuit of Cape Fur Seals.This time of the year you can see white sharks breaching like nobody's business.This all takes part in False Bay at a Seal island(named ring of death)This tiny little island is actually visible from the shore.Its very close to the coastline.Scientists flock here to witness this every year.
Im just trying to get a sense of who will be coming to see this,who is interested in this,who is opposed to this and so on.Curious?

That was Discovery Channel,my mistake.sorry
Canon 7D,Nauticam NA 7D housing,Inon Z220s strobes,Canon 60mm macro,Tokina 10-17mm
Sony DSR 400P,Panasonic DVX 100B,Futura Pro Housing,Macbook Pro i5 (FCP,Aperture&Lightroom)

#2 DavidScubadiver

DavidScubadiver

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 11:36 AM

I am opposed to it. Sharks shouldn't fly and they ought to put a stop to it. Bad enough that people are killed by flying eagle-rays. :)
Nikon D300/Ikelite housing and Ds-125 Strobe
Tokina 10-17mm
Nikon AFS 60mm

My Blog

#3 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 06:53 AM

I am opposed to it. Sharks shouldn't fly and they ought to put a stop to it. Bad enough that people are killed by flying eagle-rays. :)

Yip thats interesting,i know alot of people have mixed opinions on it.thanks
Canon 7D,Nauticam NA 7D housing,Inon Z220s strobes,Canon 60mm macro,Tokina 10-17mm
Sony DSR 400P,Panasonic DVX 100B,Futura Pro Housing,Macbook Pro i5 (FCP,Aperture&Lightroom)

#4 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 02:49 AM

"Im just trying to get a sense of who will be coming to see this,who is interested in this,who is opposed to this and so on.Curious?"

Opposed to what? people coming to view them breaching?

If its marketed correctly it good be a huge ecotourist boom to the local economy. It could advocate shark protection in the area as killing the sharks would result in a decrease in tourism.

How is it over there? Can the public bay to visit the area?

Cal
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#5 Milton

Milton

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:50 AM

I agree, opposed to what? The Great White couldn't care less about who is opposed or not. It's an awesome spectacle and a great opportunity to educate people that think the shark is a man-eater.
There are many good spots to view them from and also many tour operators that will take you out on boats. The locals are hilarious, the food is delicious, the weather is spectacular, the roads are made by motorcycle riders, it's a cheap holiday if you are from abroad.

The question is: Are you here yet?
My images on Flickr
Canon 30D. 17-85mm. Ikelite housing. 1 x DS-125 Strobe + standard arm.

#6 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:14 AM

"Im just trying to get a sense of who will be coming to see this,who is interested in this,who is opposed to this and so on.Curious?"

Opposed to what? people coming to view them breaching?

If its marketed correctly it good be a huge ecotourist boom to the local economy. It could advocate shark protection in the area as killing the sharks would result in a decrease in tourism.

How is it over there? Can the public bay to visit the area?

Cal

Anybody can come to see it.Boats go out and take tourists,locals and scientist out to view this.Great Whites are protected in these waters which means that nobody can interfere or harass them.All boats are registered with the local government and abide by strict regulations.Killing a Great White in this country is the same as murdering a person as far as the government is concerned which is good.The species is highly protected.It contributes to the economy by attracting torists and creates jobs for locals.Also it is a unique thing to witness which happens only here in the world.

#7 Cal

Cal

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 03:40 PM

What country?
http://www.calmero.com.au/ - Creative Underwater Photography

#8 Milton

Milton

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:38 PM

South Africa.
My images on Flickr

#9 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:34 AM

False Bay,Cape Town

#10 PRC

PRC

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1163 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:59 AM

Not quite sure how you could be opposed to it - welcome to nature, red in tooth and claw.

If it keeps the top predator safer from being abused by humanity then I am all for the tourist aspect.

Guess this is just a surface only tourist spot - my oh my you would need spare underwear to be in the water while that lot were kicking off - OK in a cage I guess.

Paul C
Nikon D300, Subal, 2 * Inon 240
Water Temp (just cold & Nasty)
My Pictures

#11 Milton

Milton

Starfish

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 09:31 PM

Hi PRC, have a look at these pages. Bring spare underwear. :D Great White Diving - PADI
About Great White Diving
My images on Flickr

#12 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:28 AM

Not quite sure how you could be opposed to it - welcome to nature, red in tooth and claw.

If it keeps the top predator safer from being abused by humanity then I am all for the tourist aspect.

Guess this is just a surface only tourist spot - my oh my you would need spare underwear to be in the water while that lot were kicking off - OK in a cage I guess.

Paul C

Im definately not against it in fact i endorse it.The more people that we can educate about the Great White the better,Ironically i just saw the owner of one of the Great White shark operating boats about 10 mins ago at the airport and she has invited me again to make a tv program about White Shark diving industry.I have already made 4 programs on white shark diving which have gotten very good response worldwide.
The White Shark is an Apex predator that has perfectly evolved and we should respect that period!

#13 westfax

westfax

Damselfish

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Photography and cycling

Posted 02 June 2008 - 09:21 PM

Went last year with Chris and Monique Fallows. Chris has some awsome shots of breaching whites. Both are very involved with research and document every incident (predations etc) in the area. They are very involved in education programs with locals about the importance of shark ecotourism in the area.
I spent 3 days photographing whites, in a cage and from the boat. It is a vacation I can recomend to anyone curious about sharks.
Here are some pics i took.
I am returning this year in July to perfect the breaching shots.

Enjoy

Sean

Attached Images

• DSC_0647a.jpg
  • DSC_0707b.jpg
  • DSC_0805b.jpg
  • Shark6a.jpg

#14 Travy

Travy

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 11:38 PM

Went last year with Chris and Monique Fallows. Chris has some awsome shots of breaching whites. Both are very involved with research and document every incident (predations etc) in the area. They are very involved in education programs with locals about the importance of shark ecotourism in the area.
I spent 3 days photographing whites, in a cage and from the boat. It is a vacation I can recomend to anyone curious about sharks.
Here are some pics i took.
I am returning this year in July to perfect the breaching shots.

Enjoy

Sean

Thats just fantastic :lol: Bring warm clothes its freezing here right now.

#15 jtresfon

jtresfon

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 08:09 AM

I am a Cape Town local and do about 30 dives a year in False Bay. I have no problem with going to see the sharks breaching. I also have no problem with cage diving per se, although I do think it does tend to lend the impression that the sharks are not all that dangerous. While I do not think that they are man-eaters and mindless killing machines they are nonetheless still wild animals and the top predator in the ocean and need to be treated with serious respect. While the cage diving industry has cleaned up its act substantially over the last few years, many operators are still too casual with these animals and sooner or later someone is going to get hurt. The victim of all the bad publicity will once again be the shark. In many instances the researchers who advise the government on their policy towards sharks (which also brings in serious revenue for the government) are also the commercial operators who stand to gain the most from the operation. This is a bit like asking the wolf to guard the sheep!

But my real objection is towards chumming. There are those that say it does not condition the sharks and there are those that say it is responsible for the higher incidence of attacks we have seen lately. My own opinion is that it conditions the sharks to associate boats with food. When I arrive to dive nearby wrecks in the bay the sharks in the area associate my boat with food, come for a look, and the next thing into the water is me! While I have no scientific evidence of this, we have seen more sharks in the last few years than ever before. In fact, 10 years ago their were almost no reports of Great Whites seen by scuba divers. I do realise that the are more divers nowadays, but my contention remains.

Use the natural chum-slick produced by the seals on the island and watch the sharks by all means. Feeding of wild animals has long since been forbidden in terrestrial habitats, its time it stopped in the water...

Rgds
Jean