• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 06:49 AM

As all of us know, Cyclone Nargis hit Myanmar on May 03 2008, leaving massive devastation along the southern coastal areas of Myanmar and affecting hundreds of thousands of Myanmarese. Over 30,000 are dead and the casualties are rising every day. Right now there are many reports of unsanitary conditions and lack of food, water, shelter and clothing.
For those who have dived in the Burma Banks and the Mergui Archipelago, this was a magnificent area slowly being destroyed by bad management of fisheries and a military government whose human rights abuses ( coup, child soldiers etc) have garnered much scorn from the western worlds. However, when human lives are at stake, all politics should be pushed aside to do important things.
I hope that Wetpixel members will take to time to look at helping the Myanmarese people. If I may suggest the following organizations which are onsite right now with emergency aid:

World Food Program

Red Cross

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.

#2 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2855 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

World Food Program

Good post Drew. Do you have any information on how things are going? Saw some things on the news (such as delivery of food being interfered with) but sometimes the news isn't always correct.

#3 Drew

Drew

The Controller

• Video Expert
  • 10635 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:36 PM

My news is from the newswire as well mostly. I am in contact with a WFP person but she's in NYC and right now with 20+ countries needing emergency aid, she's a little busy.

Drew
"Journalism is what someone else does not want printed, everything else is public relations."

"I was born not knowing, and have only had a little time to change that here and there.