4 replies to this topic

#1 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 05:25 AM

Hi Gang,

I wanted to start a thread summarizing all of the wideangle lens options for Nikon and Canon DSLR's:

Nikon Systems:

Nikkor:
14mm
18mm
16mm Fisheye
17-35AFS
18-35ED
12-24DX (coming soon)

Sigma:

14mm
15mm fisheye
15-30mm
17-35

Canon Systems:

Canon:

14mm
15mm Fisheye
16-35L
17-40L

Sigma:

14mm
15mm Fisheye
15-30
17-35

I'm new to Canon systems, so if I've left anything off let me know.

Of course some of the above lenses will only work with some housed systems, and not with outhers, etc. Some of the above will also require diopters (the zooms). I thought we could start a thread about which are good in various situations, and what the costs are.

Feel free to add lenses to this list or pipe up for your favorite.

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#2 Miloe

Miloe

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 May 2003 - 08:41 AM

I'll chime in...
Sigma 15mm fisheye for Nikon systems...
Mail order $350 after s/h.

Never been underwater with it, so no performance opinions here. It's sharp above water though. The autofocus motors are a fair bit louder than my Tamaron 28-200 though.

Gary

#3 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8366 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 12:17 AM

I'm a very big fan of the 180? coverage of a fisheye on 35mm. I think that lack of anything comparable on D60/10D, D100, S2 cameras is one of their major limiting factors at present. Furthermore the Nikkor 12-24mm will not solve this because it won't be wider that a 35mm full frame fisheye.

There are certain shots that can only be done well with 180 degree coverage and as I start to think about going to the Red Sea in a month or so I think that while I'll shoot, for the first time, more digital than film I will still use my F100 for the wide, wide stuff.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (waiting for housing).

#4 caveman

caveman

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 07:56 AM

I am very interested in the topic as I am looking to buy a lens. I went and checked out some lenses today, the 16mm Fish eye and 17-35mm 2.8. The 17 was great in terms of little distortion, but the angle was no where as near as the 16mm fish eye. The 16mm gave about 30 degrees more ( estimate ).

Would love to hear any oppinion on these to as well.........

#5 wetpixel

wetpixel

Wetpixel

• Admin
  • 2943 posts

Posted 23 May 2003 - 11:37 AM

Don't forget the Sigma 8mm circular fisheye.

Although that might require some effort to use. I'd have to get a dome without a shade, and with the 1.6X cropping, the tops and bottom are cut off. The resulting image is a rectangle with circular sides on the right and left. :lol:
Eric Cheng - Administrator, Wetpixel -