Shooting kiteboarders?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 24 May 2008 - 04:20 AM

I don't know if it is OK to post this question here as it isn't stricktly abpout surf photography. But I'll give it a try and you can spank me if this is way too off the topic of the forum.

Ok so, I have received some requests to shoot kiteboarders. Sofar have only shot them from the beach (and once from helicopter). The problem with shooting from beach is of course that it is difficult (well in my case impossible) get close enough to get nice close low angles to include both the rider and the kite. Shooting tele and just including the rider works, but as the "strings" to the lite are so long, images with rider AND kite just look boring... What I would like to be able to do is shot wide angle, in the water, close. This of course presents some problems. I imaine I should have camera housed, but working with a housed camera our of the water is difficult, especially on fast moving subjects. Then there is the qustion of how to be there and getting the shots and not getting killed (or at least not getting camera pulverized).

I have a little Zodiac type dingy, but I don't think shooting from it would be a good idea as the kitesurfers ride in very shallow water with lots of reef and I wouldn't want to zip over the reef (not good for the reef nor for the outboard).

Anyone shoot kiteboarders (or maybe even windsurfers) and have some ideas as to how to do this?

Edited by Marjo, 24 May 2008 - 04:22 AM.

#2 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4570 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 05:55 AM

I'd love to see stuff like this. Sounds like a jetski would be ideal, and most importantly, have someone else drive while you shoot. :lol:
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#3 debersole

debersole

Sting Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 07:11 AM

I haven't photographed windsurfing/kitesurfing myself but I did spend some time on the pro windsurfing circuit (many years ago) as well as doing some windsurfing promotional shots for a variety of equipment manufacturers. Most photography was done either from the beach with a REALLY long lens or from in the water swimming/treading water VERY near the action. To get some ideas on how to structure some really good shots look at Windsurfing Magazine (www.windsurfingmag.com) or Kiteboarding Magazine (www.kiteboardingmag.com). Also, there are a lot of really good windsurfing/kiteboarding photographers out there whose work could give you some ideas -- Darrell Wong (www.darrellwong.com) comes to mind.

Best of luck!

Doug
www.debersole.com

#4 Giles

Giles

International Supermodel

• 2618 posts
  • Interests:water and sun my friend, thats what turns me on.

Posted 24 May 2008 - 08:55 AM

I have tried this and am defnately going to revisit it as I am convinced there are some awesome photos to be had.

Call nme crazy but I put on my board shorts and camera with a fisheye lense (no housing and just waded into the water where they were zooming around. The guys that knew what they were doing came close and posed, some even jumping over my head.

anyways .. here are some of my best from one shoot last year, as you can see I really needed to get closer and maybe not use a fisheye but a really wide angle lense, but i kinda like fisheye effect on them.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to go and do it again (even if that was a year ago!)

Edited by Giles, 24 May 2008 - 08:59 AM.

me on the web >> journal / flickr / portfolio
i use >> my camera, eye & stunning good looks

#5 TheRealDrew

TheRealDrew

Humpback Whale

• 2854 posts

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:33 AM

I have tried this and am defnately going to revisit it as I am convinced there are some awesome photos to be had.

anyways .. here are some of my best from one shoot last year, as you can see I really needed to get closer and maybe not use a fisheye but a really wide angle lense, but i kinda like fisheye effect on them.

it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to go and do it again (even if that was a year ago!)

Cool shots and I like the fisheye effect that you got

#6 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 25 May 2008 - 03:36 AM

Thanks all! I check out Darrell Wong and here were some generally cool shots there. Very inspirational.

Giles, very cool shots! The second one, the CFWA with the boarder in the water and the kits in the sky is actually close to what I am driving for. However, I really am not as brave as you when it comes to wading our with my gear unhoused!!!

Kasey (wetpixelite) once suggested laying on this sandbar with housed camera and letting the riders jump over the sandbar. I just wonder of theer would be enough of time to focus. I also imagine that water on the dome would be an issue.

I guess the next step is to just go try it. The worst that could happen would be a bunch of bad shots and several broken bones.... (yes I'm a sissy, but I still do everything)

#7 Arctic Dive Travel

Arctic Dive Travel

Starfish

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Arctic Diving, UW foto

Posted 14 February 2009 - 02:18 PM

Hi Marjo

It' probably way too late but I will write you anyway!
Durring Summer I Denmark I went to take pictures of one of my friends kitesurfing. I used my D300 withthe 10,5mm fisheye in a Hugyfot housing (aluminium) and even put on the strobes - just in case. It is a little heavy but absolutely possible. Next time I will not bring the strobes though.

MY friend said he could control the board as precisely as I can control my bicycle on a road, but I watched him before I entered the water, and even used a helmet (probably wouldn't help much if I was hit by the board). He was really in control, so during the session we agreed that he should go really close and jump over me.

I just used my drysuit and a well inflated BCD to lift me and the camera, when I took it out of the water. I thought an inflated innertube might also be an option, but I like the manoeuvrability the flippers gave me.

I shot most shots on autofocus and autoexposure (Shutterpriority, so I was sure to freeze the action).

It was great fun trying, but I will try the spitting next time to avoid some of the water on the domeport.

Good luck :-)

Attached Images

• TuroeKiteOct08_027.jpg
  • TuroeKiteOct08_024.jpg
  • TuroeKiteOct08_021.jpg

Morten Beier www.arcticdive.dk

#8 FreediveWI

FreediveWI

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:freediving, trimix, photography, wrecks, kayaking, running, skiing, underwater hockey, scuba instructor, ect.

Posted 18 February 2009 - 03:26 PM

I've done it in the past from my surfski.

I had fun watching them sail at me and the fly right over the top of me while I shot stills/videos. It gave them a target to aim at and offered a landmark so they wouldn't hit me.

Jon

#9 stringy

stringy

Brine Shrimp

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

hey guys, I just signed up to wetpixel today. I was just reading about this topic and figured I would add to it.
I shoot a lot of kiteboarders up here in the pacific northwest. I tend to shoot in the water with a wide angle and housing. In the winter I'll try and stay out of the water due to the extreme conditions. I then shoot with a 100-400 L series.
If you want to understand a little bit better what to look for when shooting kiteboarders, you can check out this link to our local kiteboarding forum where I have given some riders some instruction on how to listen to a photg, what to do, and what I'm looking for when shooting.

http://pskite.org/vi...=...p;sk=t&sd=a

Also, here's a link to my wbesite that exhibits plenty of kiteboarding shots from the past couple of years.

www.jimstringfellow.com

cheers,
stringy