10 replies to this topic

#1 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 26 May 2008 - 09:37 PM

I'm told often by folks who have been on the ocean for decades that that oceanic white-tip sharks (Carcharhinus longimanus) were once one of the most common sharks in the ocean. In a classic scene in the movie, Blue Water, White Death, Peter Gimbel, Stan Waterman, and Ron and Valerie Taylor swim in open water with hundreds of oceanic white-tip sharks, who are all feeding on a whale carcass. These days, oceanic white-tips are consistently found only in a few places in the world, and divers are lucky if they encounter even a few individuals at once. I had dinner with shark scientist Samuel "Doc" Gruber in Miami while I was in the area, and he was overjoyed to see photos of oceanic white-tip sharks taken so recently. He told me that decades ago, they were "everywhere," but that it had been many years since he had seen one alive.

Posted Image

The Bahamian oceanic white tip shark population is still somewhat of a mystery; no one really knows when they are in the area, nor where they go when they are not there. In an exploratory trip with Brian Skerry and National Geographic, Jim Abernethy found oceanic white-tip sharks in the Bahamas three years ago after hearing reports from fishermen. Two years ago, I went on a successful exploratory trip in June to photograph the sharks. In 2007, JASA had an epic trip in May, in which divers swam around for days with more than 20 oceanic white-tip sharks at once--an encounter that seems impossible to those of us who are in search of such experiences! Two months later, a Wetpixel expedition made the 32-hour crossing, hoping for a similar encounter, but there were no sharks to be found. The water temperature was abnormally warm (84 degrees+), and it seemed as if the ocean was completely dead. We didn't even see a single game fish in the water, a fact that may have been tied to the absence of sharks.

Posted Image

Still, JASA had managed to arrange successful shark encounters in May for three years in a row, so in 2007, I booked a May expedition date for 2008 to maximize the chance of a good encounter. On the morning of Friday, May 9th, eight of us boarded the M/V Shear Water and began the crossing to Cat Island. The next 32 hours passed by in a sort of haze; everyone seemed to be passed out in their bunks, and there was almost never more than one person in the salon at a time. The only person who seemed to be awake during normal hours was Stella, who sat in the corner and worked diligently on translation assignments (so I hear—I was one of the ones who only emerged late at night).

Crossing conditions were really good, and I couldn’t believe how calm the water was. The ocean was a mirror, pulsing slowly up and down with only the slightest motion. We pulled up close to Cat Island in the late afternoon on the 30th, and a few minutes later, the back deck erupted into frantic activity...

Full trip report: http://wetpixel.com/...on-trip-report/
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#2 Alex_Mustard

Alex_Mustard

The Doctor

• Super Mod
  • 8384 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 11:30 PM

Great stuff. So glad you got the sharks this time. Although I am mighty jealous.

Alex

Alexander Mustard - www.amustard.com - www.magic-filters.com
Nikon D4 (Subal housing). Nikon D7100 (Subal housing). Olympus EPL-5 (Nauticam housing).

#3 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 27 May 2008 - 04:50 AM

Great report and images! What I want to know is how Julie was able to get that pig to pose with his snout nostrils perfectly aligned for the split shot! Seriously... I don't think I could have made that happen in a million years!

Too bad about the lion fish. I heard this weekend reports that they have made their way to the coastal waters off Puerto Rico now. Just a question of time I suppose until they arrive here. I hope not tho.

Edited by Marjo, 27 May 2008 - 04:52 AM.

#4 loftus

loftus

Blue Whale

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4571 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 05:13 AM

Thanks Eric, looks like a fun trip.
Jim' picture of the pig and the ShearWater is one for the salon wall.
I think I'll paint my toenails before I come aboard next time.
Nikon D800, Nikon D7000, Nauticam, Inons, Subtronic Novas. Lens collection - 10-17, 15, 16, 16-35, 14-24, 24-70, 85, 18-200, 28-300, 70-200, 60 and 105, TC's. Macs with Aperture and Photoshop.

#5 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

Pigs! we want more swimming pig shots... :lol:

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#6 echeng

echeng

The Blue

• Admin
  • 5844 posts
  • Interests:photography, ice cream, cello, chamber music, quadcopters

Posted 27 May 2008 - 10:05 PM

I got a swimming pig shot. It was actually hard to get actual swimming shots because they didn't swim all that often. Oh, and there was total chaos in the water. :D

Posted Image
eric cheng
publisher/editor, wetpixel
www | journal | photos

#7 juanjoalonso

juanjoalonso

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 May 2008 - 11:11 PM

I´d never saw before "waterpigs" :D it´s so funny.
Love the shark pictures, there are some of them very very impresive (dark shark behind the sun)
www.bajoelagua.es
hola@bajoelagua.es

#8 DeanB

DeanB

Humpback Whale

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:13 AM

I got a swimming pig shot. It was actually hard to get actual swimming shots because they didn't swim all that often. Oh, and there was total chaos in the water. :D

Posted Image

Awwwww !!! thats brilliant.. Here piggy, piggy schnuffley ruffley pig..lol... oink, oink :)

Ahem !!! bloody pig eat it... :D :D

Dive safe

Dean(i love piggies)B
Facebook me ;)
NOW ON SKYPE !!! ... deanb69
www.waterwolf-productions.co.uk

#9 Stephen Colquitt

Stephen Colquitt

Eagle Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:21 AM

Love those aquapiggies. So cute!

#10 pakman

pakman

Great White

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1099 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:42 AM

Thanks Eric. hehe, nice over/ under piggie pic.

Canon 40D, S&S MDX-40D housing, Inon Z-240's
Sony HC7 & Gates Housing

#11 Marjo

Marjo

Manta Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Interests:Conservation photography, climate change resilience, species and habitat conservation

Posted 28 May 2008 - 04:39 AM

Well we know now what to respond when people say "if pigs could fly":

~ " Yeah, but they CAN swim, and Eric has the pictures to prove it"! ~