6 replies to this topic

#1 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 11:27 AM

Hi all,

Here are some pictures taken in the Maldives in February. They were taken with an Olympus 4040 and PT 010 housing with an Ikelite DS50 strobe.

http://www.pbase.com/markyprior/root

Many of them were taken snorkelling.

On the same site you can see some pictures I took in Pemba late last year which were all taken diving.

Any feedback is very welcome.

Regards,

Mark
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.
Lighting: 2 x Ikelite DS-125, 2 x Manual controller

My Pictures

#2 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 01:12 PM

Hi Mark,

i remember when you announced your trip in this forum and i was very jealous :)

There are some very nice pictures in your gallery, my favorites are the anemone with 2 clownfish, the pipefish and the swimming turtle.

I noticed that some of your pictures (like overhang and turtleswim) are contained twice. Maybe you'd like to order your pics by motive (i.e. all moray eels, all turtles, ...) to avoid showing them twice. It also helps me a lot when i have to decide which pictures will finaly make it into my own galleries.

I don't know what you think about enhancing your pictures but i'd try to get rid of the tail on the right side of the jacks. You probably cannot crop it, maybe try to use the clone tool.

What camera/equipment did you use on your Pemba trip ? Great Spanish Dancer !

Looks like Pemba is another place i'd like to go diving :cool:

Sabine

#3 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 May 2002 - 03:00 PM

Thanks Sabine.

I have deleted the duplicates, added a few more pics and deleted the tail in the jack photo. I have kept the original up for comparison.

Both trips were with the same equipment.

Next trip to Red Sea at beginning of July and for that I want to get a wide angle lens and another strobe.

Cheers

Mark
Sea & Sea D200 Housing - 60mm,105mm, 10.5mm, 12-24mm (All Nikon) Sigma 17-70mm and Tokina 10-17mm lenses and a bunch of Ports.

My Pictures

#4 snoack

snoack

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 12:16 AM

IMHO jacks2 looks better :)

In July the visibility in the Red Sea should be very good - i.e. perfect for a wa lens.
I wished i had one on our trip in April, i tried to take some pics of the uw-landscape but it was very difficult to get a decent shot without wa and having to use the internal flash.

Where exactly are you going to ? I've heard that July and August are perfect for the Brothers: Lots of sharks, no wind and not too much current.

Sabine

#5 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 04:25 AM

Good viz would make a change as my last two trips: Pemba and Cocos; have been great diving but average viz.

Unfortunately I will only be going to Sharm as I am taking some friends who want to learn. I haven't been there for a few years (preferring to go to St Johns area) and I am expecting the water to be fairly crowded. Hopefully I'll be able to take some good wide angle shots at Ras Mohammed and Thomas reef which are my favourite dives in that area.

Mark

My Pictures

#6 mark jones

mark jones

Clownfish

• Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 May 2002 - 01:04 PM

were did you dive in the maldives ??
i've just returned and i'm in the process of getting my pics together on a site .
great shots you've taken . why don't you add a trip report !!

#7 markprior

markprior

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 07 May 2002 - 03:12 AM

I stayed on an island called Giravaru which is about 25 minutes by speed boat away from the airport.

It was a romantic holiday with my girlfriend so not enough diving for my liking (only 6 dives in a week). Occasionally you have to make a sacrifice and go on a non-diving holiday (although I always try and make them to locations where I can slip in a few dives).

I saw enough to want to go back. So thinking about a liveaboard for next year. There are too many places I want to go though !

My Pictures