Removing the 105 extension from the macro port

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

I am preparing for a dive trip to Catalina Island on Saturday. In getting my Subal housing and ports ready, I find that I can't remove the extension for the 105mm lens from the macro port I use for the 60mm lens.

Does anyone have any tips to remove the extension so I can shoot with the 60mm lens? The last thing I want to do is to break anything, so I haven't been too forceful.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

www.pbase.com/ornate_wrasse

#2 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 07:45 PM

Hi Ellen,

Use a "Strap wrench" which is commonly sold at auto parts stores. It's for unscrewing fussy oil filters so sometimes called an oil filter wrench.

If one isn't available, use a belt. Put the belt through the buckle, then put it around the extension ring. Twist the belt by pulling on the free end.

Good luck!

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#3 bruceterrill

bruceterrill

Tiger Shark

• Industry
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:33 PM

Hi Ellen,
If you make sure that you are wearing rubber gloves when trying to undo the ports, as per James,
you will stop the ports from twisting in your hands...
HTH,
Bruce...

#4 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 08:58 PM

Use a "Strap wrench" which is commonly sold at auto parts stores. It's for unscrewing fussy oil filters so sometimes called an oil filter wrench.

If one isn't available, use a belt. Put the belt through the buckle, then put it around the extension ring. Twist the belt by pulling on the free end.

James, I don't have a strap wrench. However, I tried to use my belt to do the trick and it wouldn't cooperate.
I must have put it on real tight the last time I used it.

If you make sure that you are wearing rubber gloves when trying to undo the ports, as per James,
you will stop the ports from twisting in your hands...

Bruce, I tried using my rubber gloves but that didn't do the trick either.

All is not lost, however. My dive buddy has a strap wrench and he said he would bring it to the boat. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll be successful.

Thanks to both of you.

Ellen
D300, Subal housing, Focus Fix Light, Tokina 10-17mm, 60mm, Sigma 17-70, 105mm VR, Inon Z240 (2)

#5 underwatercolours

underwatercolours

Manta Ray

• Industry
  • PipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:skinny dipping, sailing, snow skiing, water skiing, art galleries, classic cars, flying

Posted 05 June 2008 - 09:58 PM

Hi Ellen,

I've had the problem in the past too (although not with a Subal). So it sounds like the extension ring is attached to the port and not the housing. You should be able to put it back on the housing, then use the housing itself for leverage. Get a good grip around the port to turn it to where the port and extension ring are not locked. Each one should turn independently. If you can't get it apart yourself bring it along and we'll work on it on the boat. Don't worry... I'll make sure we have lots of strong men around to help.

See you tomorrow!

Bonnie

#6 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 10:58 PM

If you can't get it apart yourself bring it along and we'll work on it on the boat. Don't worry... I'll make sure we have lots of strong men around to help.

I haven't been able to get it apart, though it's not for lack of trying. <_<

I did call Brian and he told me he'd bring his strap wrench. Between Brian's strap wrench and the strong men who can help, we should be able to take care of it :)

Thanks, I'll see you at 7!

Ellen

#7 cor

cor

The Hacker

• Admin
  • 1989 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 12:08 AM

This happened to me very recently with a subal product i was beta testing. I got it with a slightly off-size o-ring and that caused it to get totally stuck. It took 2 people to wrestle it off, after about 15 minutes of intense swearing :)
Cor Bosman - Nikon D2X Subal ND2 - Nikon D7000 Subal ND7000
website | tripreports/journal | facebook | wetpixel map | twitter

#8 cronix

cronix

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:53 AM

This happened to me very recently with a subal product i was beta testing. I got it with a slightly off-size o-ring and that caused it to get totally stuck. It took 2 people to wrestle it off, after about 15 minutes of intense swearing :)

But it's still a nice beta product :)
D2X, 10.5mm, 12-24mm, 60mm, 105mm, SB800 in Subal housing, Seacam: housing, S45 viewfinder, Fisheye dome, superdome, wet diopters, 250 TTL Digital strobes (2)
The website of André Crone can be found at http://www.elysia.nl

#9 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 02:50 AM

Sears sells rubber strap wrenches. I always travel with two because I have small hands and can not get a good grip on the port &/or extension.

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#10 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:23 AM

Available from McMaster-Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/

Versa-Grip Strap Wrenches
Grip almost any shape object without marring or scratching. To use, just pull the strap snugly around the object and push/pull the handle. Great for pipe, hose, fittings, taps, and automotive applications. Strap is made of synthetic rubber and resists oil and solvents. Choose from heavy duty aluminum and nylon handles.

With Nylon Handle
5 3/4" 1/2"-4" 1/2" x 18 1/2" x 1/8"
54325A61 7.68

8" 3/4"-6 5/16" 13/16" x 24" x 3/16"
54325A62 11.06

2-Pc. Set Includes one each of 54325A61 and A62. 54325A57 Each $16.84

Edited by jcclink, 06 June 2008 - 10:04 AM.

Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#11 eyu

eyu

Tiger Shark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 06:41 AM

I prefer the nylon handles, less of a chance to scratch things.

Don't get confused and turn the port and extension the wrong way, thus tightening it and not loosing it

:)

Nikon D800E, D800, Subal ND800, Inon Z240, ULCS with StiX floats

#12 james

james

The Engineer

• Super Mod
  • 9968 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 09:32 AM

The belt works really well in a pinch, seriously. You just put one on the port and one the opposite direction on the extension ring. But two strong folks are still needed...:-)

Cheers
James
Canon 1DsMkIII - Seacam Housing
Dual Ikelite Strobes
Photo site - www.reefpix.org

#13 Chuck Jensen

Chuck Jensen

Lionfish

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

The belt works really well in a pinch, seriously. You just put one on the port and one the opposite direction on the extension ring. But two strong folks are still needed...:-)

Cheers
James

Is this a pretty common thing for extension rings James?
Chuck Jensen
Nikon D300 in Aquatica Housing, Duel Ikelite DS125 Strobes
Nikon 60mm, Nikon 105mm, Tokina 10-17 fisheye
web.mac.com/undersea4me

#14 stone

stone

Triggerfish

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

I got the same problem with my sea & sea ext & macro port base.
Last time i need almost an hour to separate them.

I think i have to buy one more ext LOL

#15 mtnman

mtnman

Wolf Eel

• PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 03:51 PM

Is it possible there is some salt from previous dive? Try soaking then use the belt.

#16 jcclink

jcclink

Great Hammerhead

• PipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 08 June 2008 - 05:03 PM

Seems like everything I make hand tight is usually very tight after a few days of use. I can usually disassemble parts with 1 or 2 strap wrenches.
Nexus D300, 10-17mm, 12-24mm, 17-55mm, 60mm, 105mm VR
S&S YS110's & YS27's

#17 eskasi

eskasi

Sting Ray

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Photography, diving, Formula 1

Posted 09 June 2008 - 05:00 AM

I think its pretty common with ext rings. On my S&S SX ring, the instructions say that the ring can be hard to remove on its own from the housing....The instructions were to ALWAYS remove the port and ring together and then remove ring after..

#18 ornate_wrasse

ornate_wrasse

• PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 09 June 2008 - 03:10 PM

I've got good news!

Shortly after arriving at The Great Escape and before departing Long Beach for Catalina, Bonnie was able to singlehandedly remove the 105 extension from my Subal macro port :D

Thank you Bonnie! That was quite a feat, especially considering how tightly it was attached to the port.

However, that being said, since Bonnie won't always be available to do this for me, I am going to purchase the Versa Grip Strap Wrenches.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and comments.

Ellen